Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 03 Nov 2014 (Monday) 04:48
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What do you need the most in the 5D Mark IV ?"
Bigger AF points coverage across the frame
3%
Faster/Better low light AF
3.4%
More megapixels
6.4%
Better dynamic range
51.9%
Better ISO performance
15.4%
More FPS
6.4%
Spot metering for every AF point
2.3%
4K video
2.6%
Much lighter weight
0.8%
Better weather sealing
1.1%
Other (Specify)
6.8%

266 voters, 266 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you need the most in the 5D Mark IV ?

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 02, 2015 20:43 |  #61

STIC wrote in post #17617824 (external link)
Please...NO!

If you don't like it, let it in place and it will be like there is no swivel ;)
i miss the swivel screen on the 5D series

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,095 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 03, 2015 01:35 |  #62

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17618584 (external link)
If you don't like it, let it in place and it will be like there is no swivel ;)
i miss the swivel screen on the 5D series

Yeah it would definitely come in handy when shooting in weird positions.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 03, 2015 22:47 |  #63

mike_d wrote in post #17618787 (external link)
Yeah it would definitely come in handy when shooting in weird positions.

+10000000

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2015 02:50 |  #64

Regarding video:
I really want continuous autofocus.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 09, 2015 19:36 |  #65

WiFi would be a welcomed addition. AF linked metering would help. The ability to use exposure compensation in manual mode while using Auto ISO would make sense. Still, all of those things combined wouldn't make me upgrade.

What might make me upgrade would be a 3-4-stop improvement in high-ISO performance, a significant jump in resolution, and a built-in AF assist beam.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2015 00:31 |  #66

...and a little thing which nobody has mentioned >>> please bring back self illuminating LED AF points!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2015 02:38 |  #67

I would prefer a camera with as few unrequired extra gimmicks as possible, so definitely no video and no weird "press these 20 buttons in the right order" functions Canon seem so keen on. Then I'd want to fill that vast now empty space with as many megapixels and as good a dynamic range as possible.

Richard

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by amoergosum.

Jul 10, 2015 07:36 |  #68

Lowner wrote in post #17626661 (external link)
I would prefer a camera with as few unrequired extra gimmicks as possible, so definitely no video and no weird "press these 20 buttons in the right order" functions Canon seem so keen on. Then I'd want to fill that vast now empty space with as many megapixels and as good a dynamic range as possible.

Richard

Video is not a gimmick just because you don't use it.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2015 08:13 as a reply to  @ amoergosum's post |  #69

It is for me. Those who want video should use a purpose designed video camera, not a bodged up stills camera.

Richard

Justinsmnz
909 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 14, 2015 19:44 |  #70

Richard

Are you not just asking for a 5Ds? It has very little video functionality in exchange for a [remarkably] huge boost in resolution.

flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 15, 2015 04:11 as a reply to  @ Justinsmnz's post |  #71

My main interest is in landscape, not sport (I imagine that's what the "s"means?). When I bought my current 5D2, the 5D3 was already on sale but I took advise from my local shop and it continues to suit me very well.

Richard

Justinsmnz
909 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 15, 2015 08:51 |  #72

Lowner wrote in post #17632177 (external link)
My main interest is in landscape, not sport (I imagine that's what the "s"means?). When I bought my current 5D2, the 5D3 was already on sale but I took advise from my local shop and it continues to suit me very well.

Quite the opposite, in fact. The "s" is Canon's designation for the ultra-high-resolution version in one of their particular lineups. It gives up some of the more broad capabilities of the MkIII - certain video features and faster frame rate, for example - in exchange for a 50.6 megapixel sensor. I have no idea whether the 5Ds is actually better for your needs, but going by your "wish list" above, it's very likely going to be a closer match to your wants than the upcoming MkIV (with the small bonus that it's already been released, haha.)

flickr (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by STIC.

Jul 16, 2015 23:05 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

Richard

I actually agree with this...

I'd like to see a separation of Still and Video specific models...

I'm on my 3rd Digital SLR (and if I can twist the wife's arm for a new 5DIII, it'll be 4th) and I've never used any of them for Video, not even looked at it...as a photographer, it's completely irrelevant to me.

What's more, by incorporating it, I'm sure the manufacturer left out other photographic improvements that could have been there...for instance, while I covet a FF 5DIII, i'll miss the motorsport friendly 8fps on the 7D...

We're not talking cheap generic devices here, a Digital SLR of the 5DIII/5DIV ilk is a serious and specific bit of kit, it shouldn't need to cover cross purposes...

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 17, 2015 01:47 |  #74

Well, for the jobs I'm doing I need both still and video so it's very relevant to me.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 17, 2015 02:54 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

That's fine. Then a good SLR for the photography side and a good video camera for the video sounds like the way to go to me.

I understand that having the two in one device may be of benefit to some, but I fear it's always going to be a case of trade offs...

Neither aspect of the device will be as good as a stand alone device in each area...so, in effect, you're actually getting the worst of both worlds...you know, jack of all trades, master of none kinda thing...

Back in the good old days of VHS, when handy cams were popular, my brother picked up a HUGE broadcast quality VHS video recorder...it was a bit cumbersome compared to the little hand held jobs (it sat on the shoulder with an adjustable eye piece) but the quality of the video was so superior...

A good example of something built to do just one job, but do it well!

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

sponsored links

32,859 views & 38 likes for this thread
What do you need the most in the 5D Mark IV ?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.