Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A new guy here,upgrade path for body and a thanks

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 04, 2015 05:33 |  #16

Bianchi wrote in post #17619683 (external link)
Welcome to POTN Stu

Want to keep your shutter speed up, then start shooting in M mode, get away from AV or TV.. Practice. Practice, Practice

Example... set the speed you want, then the aperture for more or less DOF, watch your metering and see where your at, and adjust Iso if needed....Adjust all parameters accordingly....Don't let the camera do these things, your in the drivers seat in M

The 7D II would be my pick for what you want, it will be great with your 300

Good luck & Happy shooting

Thanks Bianchi!! Cool forum this i've been lurking a while on several,but these are my first tentative posts. This is a much covered subject with info here but what a lovely response to try and help a newer guy get his old brain around all this the word thankyou will appear much I guess,those thanks are genuine cheers all.

Bianchi I probably understand manual better than the others,that's what I shoot in all the time,unless i'm taking quick reference snaps of our frogs that is (another story best not go there for the mo:lol:) So it is that awareness that I need to keep shutter speeds up with these tiny things that shoot about too bloody fast;-)a that is driving my questions about high iso. So often in blighty the light seems, well, not strong enough so the iso is getting bumped ever upwards and I'm seeing the effects of this. I'm almost being steered with the questions to help me make the right choice by the areas I struggle in with my little 550D. But that is tricky because I know my skill/knowledge levels aren't great so I might be making incorrect asumptions.

Yup I try to get my eye in and have the lump of lens and camera in hand most days. i'm practising with swallows at the moment nice and easy:lol:,well not really;-)a. almost no chance of a keeper with my ability and the focus prowess of the 550,I have to guess roughly where a swallow will appear set rough focus to there and try and lock on to get a chance of tracking. But really the pictures aren't important what i'm trying to get to is a place where I've aquired the muscle memory to mount the camera to my eye accurately and very fast. Swallows being so fast and tricky to track also help me think on where my ruddy feet are pointing getting that right will help with the tracking I hope!! As always a work in progress,mind I'm getting some great pics of a blank sky at the moment,lol,a bird in frame is a cause for celebration . Ahh the quest to be better at something and the insanity that follows.

I sort of suspected some folks would say 7Dii some 1Div ,I need these cameras in my grubby mitts really,but this thread is incredibly useful having others experiences and points of view is a huge asset

cheers for the welcome kiddo

Stu

sponsored links
Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 04, 2015 06:19 |  #17

melcat wrote in post #17619984 (external link)
The 1-series body

- has a grip, which makes hand-held verticals with a big lens much easier, and allows you to easily swap the rig between hands when carrying it around.

- has a bigger battery, which lasts longer.

- runs at a higher voltage. Some say this makes big heavy lenses focus faster. I couldn't say either in general or in particular for the 7D Mk II. I think it is not true for the 5D Mk III, which I tried with a heavyish lens in a shop.

I found the 1D Mk III and 300mm f/4 IS + 1.4x much easier to physically handle than with the 5-series body I had before (very similar size and handling to 7-series). Your lens stack is heavier again.

With respect to how much extra blur you'll get between 1.6 and 1.28 crop camera, the answer is simply 1/6/1.28 or 25% more at the same shutter speed, providing that blur is more than a pixel wide. And, if it matters at all it is more than a pixel wide at 18 or 20 Mpx, unless you're printing very large indeed. Therefore, the extra blur from the 7D Mk II over the 1D Mk IV can be counteracted by rasing shutter speed by 1/4 stop. IOW, don't worry about it.

Mel another huge thanks! I'll deal with the last paragraph first if I may,having one less thing to worry on can't be bad,thanks for clearing that one up for me.:-)

At some stage I'm going to have to get both cameras in my hands it's the only way I'll know if I feel the same way about the two bodies and how they handle for me.

My impression from re reading ( http://www.the-digital-picture.com …5D-III-AF-Comparison.aspx (external link)) about the 5Diii 7Dii and 1Dx which have similar AF systems is that the iii is slightly slower,but there doesn't seem much in it ,I nearly came back and rewrote a post I made last night about the iii AF. If I am understanding everything correctly the AF speed, all variables being equal, is quicker in that initial second of lens drive in the 7Dii and 1Dx than the mark iii is,maybe that's what you saw in the real world with a supertelephoto? Those first seconds...the time to aquire focus on a bif shot seem to be of great importance to me,it's where I really struggle with my set up especially with the extender on. even if I have done my bit spot on and mounted the camera to my eye with the lens spot on the bird,that time to aquire focus means the bird might have shifted it's flight plan before I even see it. Yes I do use the focus limit switch when applicable to prevent excess hunting. So basically speed of focus is a primary concern of mine at this stage along with the afore mentioned british light and how that effects my choice of body. Jees for an entry level camera the 550D is a wonderful little beast I really can't knock it,but I am really starting to realise how, and covert, a more sophisticated AF system with a few more points added into the array than my 9 might Those first seconds can be all the time one has to grab the picture i'm so looking forwards to a faster focus aquisition time and hope my expectations are not unreasonable

Mel cheers your post has been real useful to me and very thought provoking

thanks

Stu

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by melcat.

Jul 04, 2015 07:48 |  #18

Well done, you found a Canon source for the 1-series focussing faster at least some of the time. But I don't know whether Westfall includes the 100-400 Mk II, which was the lens I tried, in "supertelephoto". Maybe he means the big fixed focal length ones with the AF stop buttons, since they're at a higher price level. The other thing is that he's talking about the recent cameras.

I only tried the lens on barely moving subjects in the shop, and I was purely looking to see how quickly it racked in and out focussing on a static subject, because I knew that (and not my camera's predictive AF processing) was the problem with my old lens. And I did buy one, but I can't shoot actual birds etc. with it yet because of the weather here.

For tracking, it helps to use more than one point to track. Both the 7D Mk II and the 1D Mk III can do that. The 1D Mk IV is almost the same thing as the 1D Mk III with slightly different firmware, so I'd expect it can too. In all these cameras it needs to be set up in the menus. It will be called something like "AF surround", "zone focussing", "AF assist points". On my old 5D it was there, but you couldn't configure it - they were active all the time in continuous AF. Maybe your 550D has something, but if it doesn't, that will be a big part of your problem. Check in the manual.

I think you're overthinking this. Either the 7D Mk II or the 1D Mk IV should do you. I've run into a few bird photographers with the original 7D, and I've been using the 1D Mk III. Those are earlier models of the ones you're considering.

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 05, 2015 16:07 |  #19

dexy101 wrote in post #17620070 (external link)
Welcome to the forums.

I shoot a 1DIV and I've just sold my 5DIII
The 1D body is such a joy to use. I used to enjoy using grips but not now after having this camera.

I put it on par with my 5DIII so far. The higher ISO is maybe slightly better in the 5D.

The 1D is a better camera for me. I'd have one over any other camera bar a 1DX

There are plenty for sale on the forums and can be had for £1400 with a reasonably low shutter count.

I got mine for £1500 a few months ago off the talk photography forums with a spare battery and 21k shots on it.

If you don't like it the you can always sell it again, MPB photographic offered me £1450 for mine so you won't have to sown much more on a 7DII. Be better trying them in a shop like Jessica first. Obviously they won't have a 1DIV.

happy hunting.

Hiya Derek,cheers for the welcome. I've just been looking at your flickr,first image is a camera on the fence,which brought a wry smile that's me wavering over a new light shooter. Some lovely images buddy especially like some of the landscapes scotty is just ,so,beautiful and you have caught that in spades.

Derek,it's a tough fine call which way to go,iv or ii I really appreciate the help and thoughts. Yes there are some cracking mark iv's about for around that price you state,I'm watching various places like ebay and many of the shops here that sell used while I get the pennies saved up and make my descision.

thanks for the help

Stu

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Sounds.

Jul 05, 2015 16:20 |  #20

melcat wrote in post #17620199 (external link)
Well done, you found a Canon source for the 1-series focussing faster at least some of the time. But I don't know whether Westfall includes the 100-400 Mk II, which was the lens I tried, in "supertelephoto". Maybe he means the big fixed focal length ones with the AF stop buttons, since they're at a higher price level. The other thing is that he's talking about the recent cameras.

I only tried the lens on barely moving subjects in the shop, and I was purely looking to see how quickly it racked in and out focussing on a static subject, because I knew that (and not my camera's predictive AF processing) was the problem with my old lens. And I did buy one, but I can't shoot actual birds etc. with it yet because of the weather here.

For tracking, it helps to use more than one point to track. Both the 7D Mk II and the 1D Mk III can do that. The 1D Mk IV is almost the same thing as the 1D Mk III with slightly different firmware, so I'd expect it can too. In all these cameras it needs to be set up in the menus. It will be called something like "AF surround", "zone focussing", "AF assist points". On my old 5D it was there, but you couldn't configure it - they were active all the time in continuous AF. Maybe your 550D has something, but if it doesn't, that will be a big part of your problem. Check in the manual.

I think you're overthinking this. Either the 7D Mk II or the 1D Mk IV should do you. I've run into a few bird photographers with the original 7D, and I've been using the 1D Mk III. Those are earlier models of the ones you're considering.

Ahh no credit here Mel, all goes to Mr Carmarthen. I found his site almost by accident while searching to understand date codes on lenses an incredible wealth of information there. i'm honestly not sure Mel,the new 100-400ii is getting some cracking review as to af speed and sharpness for that matter,yes the camera talked on all have a similar AF system whereas obviously the mark iv wouldn't fit into that group being older.

Mel the 550D only has 9 AF points so ,although I'll gladly stand corrected,I don't think the assist points are an option, the other problem is that those Af points are spaced a bit apart so really I feel I am compelled to use center point with this camera. Mel I really don't want to knock the 550D,but I'm sure things like AF assist and definitely faster focus aquisition are going to help me no end with anything moving plus of course the higher frame rate,whether I'll want or need the full 10frame /sec I'm unsure,but i'm sure as hell I want more than I have now at least on occassion.

Ha yes, i'm sure I am over thinking it and both will be a dream to own!! Mel I haven't ruled out the 1Diii either, it might end up as my only option,but,it's just getting on a bit now and I'd rather wait a bit(if I can) and grab something more modern. Splitting these two is no easy thing, I suppose if it was I wouldn't be here asking for advice and your collective thoughts. I think i've honed it down to the best 2 or 3 bodies we can conceivably afford,it's that last little bit where you guys are being so helpful,again it is deeply appreciated. I've come across a few folks in blighty whom think the 7Dii is without doubt a fantastic camera (and have taken some stunning images with it) but those comments of theirs about not being completely happy using it when the light isn't so good plus my own experiences trying to shoot our native wildlife in our british light is slightly unsettling to me. Yesterday evening I snuck up on a Roe doe (female native deer) again I ended up taking picks at iso 3200,I largely made a hash of it(very poor framing) and probably could have got a slightly faster shutter speed than the 1/200 I used, maybe I over did the exposing to the right a bit. It's the number of times I come across this situation that really is keeping the argument open to me,if it wasn't for this concern I think I'd have just settled on the 7Dii.

I guess simply put this is a big deal to me and I really want to get the most suited to my needs if I possibly can,but mate it's tricky when I know I have much to learn .

thanks again mate...appreciated

Stu

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by melcat.

Jul 06, 2015 03:44 as a reply to  @ Sounds's post |  #21

It's not "Mel", it's "melcat".

You're bundling together two separate issues, low light sensor performance and AF performance.

In my experience, AF works as well in low light as it does in bright light, unless it stops working at all. And the light level at which it stops working is so low that you couldn't get a usable image without flash anyway. Check the specs - it's something like 1EV or -3EV depending on the camera.

Now as far as high ISO performance, it is dimmer in your winter than in mine because of latitude, but by a stop or less. It's midwinter here and 100% cloud cover today. I was able to shoot through window glass (which costs about a stop) with no trouble at ISO 1600 during the middle of the day. That kind of simulates your winter (and I've been in the UK during winter).

Dawn and dusk are a different thing but the same different thing here and in England - the sun is the same low angle because it's just risen or is about to set! It's dark deep in forest too.

Unlike painting, in photography you do need to work with the light you're given or can make. That means watching the weather forecast, using a tripod or monopod, using flash, or simply finding a different subject in better light.

P.S. you might get more and better responses if you took time to read and consider all the responses you get together, and posted one unified answer instead of one to each person.

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 06, 2015 09:10 as a reply to  @ melcat's post |  #22

My apologies Melcat I truncate names as a habit,I didn't mean to offend. I'm, I suppose, incredibly laid back about such things,probably incredibly laid back fullstop,so simply don't dwell on me shortening a name as being something that would bother someone else. folks call me stu ha and god knows what else,lol,it's something that I have never given a second thought to,but have no problem apologising for,we are all different. Buddy is Melcat your actual christian name?

I suppose my gratitude for the time folks have taken to reply makes me want to reply to each individual as a matter of manners,basically just trying to be polite and show each member I appreciate their input . I'm really pleased with the help i've been given thus far. This base subject is covered already in some depth on this forum and basically folks such as your good self are taking time out to try and help me personally,to add clarity. I truly am grateful Melcat,I suppose I feel I have already got more help than I expected,but I take your points on board. Mind as of yet I don't really understand how to do the split post reply,i've seen others use.

Thanks for the comments on light, all understood,yup we do study the weather and what it might hold for a given day where we hope to be taking pictures. I'm just trying to work through whether a given body will give me more options than another,but that isn't so easy when one doesn't have the knowledge and these particular two bodies seem so closely matched,for a given use ie wildlife photography

take care

Stu

sponsored links

2,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
A new guy here,upgrade path for body and a thanks
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.