Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 05:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Threat to the right to photograph

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
6,493 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2005
Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Jul 05, 2015 05:24 |  #1

may I post this here- I hope it's ok !

There is another threat to the right to take images in public places

https://www.change.org …utm_source=shar​e_petition (external link)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps  (external link) My Gear ---- (external link)

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Kolor-Pikker.

Jul 05, 2015 07:23 |  #2

I didn't know such laws even existed in the first place.

In any case, with each passing year, the possibility of anyone attempting to limit photography is as futile as attempting to gain control over the internet. More than half of the entire world's population owns a cellphone with developed countries reaching 90%, almost all of which are equipped with a camera, and nearly a quarter of those are smartphones. Literally any person you see on the street can whip out their phone and take a picture at any moment, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 05, 2015 07:29 |  #3

"a completely unenforceable symbolic gesture."

Wikipedia jumps aboard the bogus 'freedom of panorama' bandwagon. Thing that won't happen definitely won't happen (external link)

Website (external link) |

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,732 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 05, 2015 08:02 |  #4

It's not the possibility of the attempt to limit photography, it's the control and penalties of what happens to the image afterwards. Imagine that you take a picture of a city street and there is a recognizable building in the background. Someone sees the image and wants to use it for a magazine cover and are willing to pay. It sounds like to do so you will have to get the permission from all of the owners of all the buildings to do so. Read the link.
https://juliareda.eu/2​015/06/fop-under-threat/ (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 05, 2015 09:29 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #17621198 (external link)
It's not the possibility of the attempt to limit photography, it's the control and penalties of what happens to the image afterwards. Imagine that you take a picture of a city street and there is a recognizable building in the background. Someone sees the image and wants to use it for a magazine cover and are willing to pay. It sounds like to do so you will have to get the permission from all of the owners of all the buildings to do so. Read the link.
https://juliareda.eu/2​015/06/fop-under-threat/ (external link)

This won't work either, because:
1. you have to apply this rule recursively not to seem like a hypocrite.
2. People will start breaking this rule en-mass out of spite.
3. There is no amount of man-power that you can amass to enforce something like this.
4. Capitalists will sooner see heads roll than lose profit, anything that gets between someone and their investments won't fly.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,410 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 05, 2015 09:34 |  #6

I Simonius wrote in post #17621129 (external link)
may I post this here- I hope it's ok !

There is another threat to the right to take images in public places

https://www.change.org …utm_source=shar​e_petition (external link)

It does NOT inhibit your rights to take photographs in public places, but it does place restrictions on commercial photographers who intend to profit from the images of public buildings and public art works that are copyrighted.

If the photos are for your own personal use and you don't upload them onto social media you have nothing to worry about.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 05, 2015 12:52 |  #7

john crossley wrote in post #17621282 (external link)
It does NOT inhibit your rights to take photographs in public places, but it does place restrictions on commercial photographers who intend to profit from the images of public buildings and public art works that are copyrighted.

If the photos are for your own personal use and you don't upload them onto social media you have nothing to worry about.

.... like POTN?

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,410 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 05, 2015 14:01 |  #8

WaltA wrote in post #17621479 (external link)
.... like POTN?

No. Like Facebook, read their terms and conditions

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,078 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by gonzogolf.

Jul 05, 2015 14:19 |  #9

So if they're yours but as long as you dont actually use them for anything other than storage in a shoebox.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 05, 2015 14:45 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #17621553 (external link)
So if they're yours but as lomg as you dont actually use them for anything other than storage in a shoebox.

seriously.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,872 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 05, 2015 14:52 |  #11

Yes, and this kind of thinking is exactly that of those old farts in the EP who want to limit the Freedom of Panorama. They still think in terms of postcards being made of those pics. It's silly. This is the age of the internet! Everybody is sharing every photo they take, be it on Facebook, Twitter, flickr, forums like this, you name it. To say, ah well, just don't do that any more then, is like saying: don't use a smart phone but use a carrier pigeon...

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,756 views & 6 likes for this thread
Another Threat to the right to photograph
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.