Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 07:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible defect in 85 f1.8

hobbes2000
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 30, 2015 07:14 |  #1

Hi all been awhile since I've been here but just recently got back into photography and picked up an 85mm f1.8 and yesterday after my new circular filter came in from Amazon I went to put it on and noticed this on/in the lens and was wondering since I just picked it up a week ago from bestbuy (no real camera stores around where I live) should I take it back to exchange it I haven't noticed anything in pictures yet but at almost 400$ for the lens and less than a week old i don't expect defects. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Jul 01, 2015 03:21 |  #2

Is that a crack in the front element? Regardless of IQ being affected, it'll affect your resale price and I would exchange it.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,386 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 01, 2015 05:41 |  #3

I'd be taking it back already.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

hobbes2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 05, 2015 09:16 |  #4

So I feel completely dumb after taking the lens back to bestbuy the camera guy comes over to check it out gets a micro fiber cloth and cleans the lens and the mark was gone :-(

Petie53
373 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 05, 2015 09:20 |  #5

No reason to feel dumb. It was a LEARNING EXPERIENCE!! That is what I tell my crews when they screw up. ;-)a
You didn't loose any money so all is good. I did a similar thing when my wife decided we should get into photography and the 60D kit lens had marks after I wiped it off with a micro-fiber cloth. Thought for sure for several weeks that I had scratched the lens coating and it really bothered me. Eventually I did a real cleaning and the mark came right off. Sheesh!!

Pete
6D, 60D, EOS-M, EOS-M3, 22M, 11-22M, 18-55M, 55-200M, 15L 2.8 fisheye, 10-22 EFS, 35 F/2 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-300L, 100-400L II

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 05, 2015 09:40 |  #6

hobbes2000 wrote in post #17621263 (external link)
So I feel completely dumb after taking the lens back to bestbuy the camera guy comes over to check it out gets a micro fiber cloth and cleans the lens and the mark was gone :-(

What was that? A Hair that looked like a Scratch?..............​.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links

1,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible defect in 85 f1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.