Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 24 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FRAUD ALERT!!!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CameraMan.

Jun 24, 2015 21:15 |  #1

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but my wife got a call earlier this evening from someone who said they were calling from Verizon. This person said they were going to shut my phone off if I didn't pay the $22.50 I owed (which sounded suspicious... I WISH I only owed them $22.50 :) ) So I took the phone and he said he needed my Social Security number, Bank Account information, blah, blah, blah... Fraud, Fraud, Fraud... So I told him to note my account that I will call Verizon back and give them that information but he persisted on getting that info. So I told him again that I would call Verizon and he hung up on me.

Red Flag #1: They called my wifes phone and not the main number (my phone)
Red Flag #2: 'Private Number' came up as the caller ID
Red Flag #3: They asked me for private information. Verizon told me they do not ask for that kind of information over the phone

PLEASE be careful everyone! There are people out there trying to get our information and I don't want anyone to slip up and accidently give out any information.

I should have gave them bogus information. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 24, 2015 21:20 |  #2

I wonder if we should make this a general fraud alert thread?

http://www.wlwt.com …unds-on-facebook/33594448 (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 25, 2015 00:07 |  #3

First clue is when they said Verizon is calling you. Verizon never calls. They just cut off your service and wait for you to call them.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,183 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by joeseph.

Jun 25, 2015 03:43 |  #4

voice on phone: "this is (mumble) from Microsoft, we are noticing your computer is infected with some sort of virus, can we get you to log on to our website please for testing"
me: "really? I don't think there is any issues at all with with my computer"
voice on phone: "yes sir, we are detecting major traffic from your machine, can you log on to <website> and download the virus scanner and we'll have it fixed in no time at all"
me: "are you 100% sure it's my machine?"
voice on phone: "yes sir, it's definately yours"
me: "well that's just B.S. as I'm on holiday 680Km away from home & my machine has been unplugged for 3 weeks!! You've called my mother-in-laws house, shall I put her on so you can get an earbashing?"
[click....]

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2015 10:21 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17609712 (external link)
I wonder if we should make this a general fraud alert thread?

http://www.wlwt.com …unds-on-facebook/33594448 (external link)

Sounds good. If the mods are ok with that. Make it a sticky. :-)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 25, 2015 10:35 |  #6

CameraMan wrote in post #17610204 (external link)
Sounds good. If the mods are ok with that. Make it a sticky. :-)

We'll see on the Sticky part. Personally, I'd want to see more participation first.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 25, 2015 11:23 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17610214 (external link)
We'll see on the Sticky part. Personally, I'd want to see more participation first.

Not worth making a sticky as the problem isn't related to photography and scams and phishing like this are so common that I would have thought almost everyone would be aware by now. I often get calls (usually the caller has a foreign accent) like that re "your computer" or "Windows security" or "doing a survey" about something or other. Don't waste time on them, just hang up.

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2015 17:28 |  #8

This was my first ever and they didn't even call me. I'm just glad I was home. No telling what the wife would have told them.

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 05, 2015 10:18 |  #9

Yeah, we get a lot of " There is something wrong with your computer " crap. It's a lot of fun playing a Mind F#@* game with them:lol:...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 05, 2015 13:34 |  #10

The one I have fun with is the twits who come to the door "hinting" they represent the local gas company and have been sent to read the "stand alone" heat source equipment meters. They are actually another 3rd party billing provider looking to steal your business and sign up long term, usurious contracts.

I make them run through the whole story, the reasons for the visit while continuously hinting they are official representatives of the supplier.

I then ask " If you're an official representative of the gas company, why don't you know that I don't have gas in my house?" I heat with oil.

It just goes worse from there, usually ends when I ask if their Mother knows what they do for a living.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

sponsored links

2,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
FRAUD ALERT!!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.