Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,362 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2015 19:13 |  #9361

I heard "food."

Did I miss something?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2015 07:22 |  #9362

LV Moose wrote in post #17578742 (external link)
I heard "food."

Did I miss something?

I never miss food - hence my current shape!

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jun 22, 2015 05:04 |  #9363

Well hello there my lovelies!!!!!

Long-time-no-nothing! But I see there's been some fascinating chat about being young/older bosses.
Done that too, myself....and what a pain it was.
Much happier being self-employed now.

Oh, and here's a rarity.

My house is almost done! And here's the current state from the suspended-gallery of stairwell.
It looks like we'll be in in about 4 weeks!
Yippee!

Then life can go back to what I call "normality".

Regards to all,

Simon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2015 07:29 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #9364

Congrats skygod! I know you have worked very hard to make this happen. It looks great, and please share the final outcome!

feedback

gear list

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 22, 2015 07:39 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #9365

Just curious . . . why wrought iron on the staircase, and white wooden spindles on the balcony?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 22, 2015 09:50 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #9366

It looks more like an American house rather than Japanese...

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jun 22, 2015 17:28 |  #9367

Thanks for the "congrats" :-)

As to the design oddities, there's a front balcony (over our entrance) directly behind where I snapped the pic, and on that will be white posts/rails. We looked at various mock-ups and the with the black iron on the second floor, there was too much thickness-contrast with the outside balcony posts.

Maybe it'll work....who knows until it's completed?! Hahahaha...

Oh, and the whole thing is European in design. We've Italian stone in the kitchen/pantry, French herringbone flooring under the grand piano and personally, I think the iron on the stairs and the sculpted handrail is reminiscent of a mini stately home near Oxford, UK.

Oh, and Japanese land prices mean we could NEVER do a real US-style home. Meaning, I expect most of you guys in the USA would call our entire house a "wing" of yours!

Ho hum.

More over the next few weeks...

Regards,

Simon
PS: Yes, it's been a nightmare of Japanese red tape!!! Of epic, horror proportions! (>_<;)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by QueenChatty. (2 edits in all)

Jun 27, 2015 12:21 |  #9368

@Skygod....nice to see things are getting there. Can't wait till you and your family move in and you post pictures (hint,hint)

@hoosierjoe....been there done that. I have worked for the Ontario Government for just over 26 years. My job was awesome but that came to an end three years ago when the new female manager in her early 40's was hired. She has made my life and others a living hell. To date 15 people have changed departments or left completely because of her. The problem...she has no manager skills or people skills for that matter. Nobody has the balls to complain about her, I did but one person doesn't make her manager sit up and take notice. During her second year managing our department at Christmas time she was sooooo sweet she gave one half of her employees each a nice bottle of wine and the other half each a chocolate bar from the dollar store. I laughed so hard even tho I was a recipient of a chocolate bar and had donated ten dollars to the gift we got for her. She was the talk of the branch for that week as it rumored around what she did lol.

She has won the war....I decided to take the buy out and retire at the end of this month. My life and health are way more important than a job! So I lose a little on my pension by going a few years early but I will no longer have mortgage payments and the best part I will be free from that woman.

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 28, 2015 17:50 as a reply to  @ QueenChatty's post |  #9369

QueenChatty, you are right. Don't you feel sorry for those people?

Update on my deal. Boy manager pulled a really dumb move and the founder of the company came around asking who is this guy? Next thing we know he resigns. His replacement ... (drum roll) ... another under 30.

The beat goes on.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 29, 2015 07:02 |  #9370

QueenChatty wrote in post #17612367 (external link)
@Skygod....nice to see things are getting there. Can't wait till you and your family move in and you post pictures (hint,hint)

@hoosierjoe....been there done that. I have worked for the Ontario Government for just over 26 years. My job was awesome but that came to an end three years ago when the new female manager in her early 40's was hired. She has made my life and others a living hell. To date 15 people have changed departments or left completely because of her. The problem...she has no manager skills or people skills for that matter. Nobody has the balls to complain about her, I did but one person doesn't make her manager sit up and take notice. During her second year managing our department at Christmas time she was sooooo sweet she gave one half of her employees each a nice bottle of wine and the other half each a chocolate bar from the dollar store. I laughed so hard even tho I was a recipient of a chocolate bar and had donated ten dollars to the gift we got for her. She was the talk of the branch for that week as it rumored around what she did lol.

She has won the war....I decided to take the buy out and retire at the end of this month. My life and health are way more important than a job! So I lose a little on my pension by going a few years early but I will no longer have mortgage payments and the best part I will be free from that woman.

This is so true and a lot of people don't realise it until it is too late.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 05, 2015 08:48 |  #9371

For a little under a year I was wondering why most of my Photos were a little soft ( I shoot Manual a lot ) and my groups are starting to open up from 25yds on up with both Pistol and Rifle ( I shoot Irons ). Uh Oh! I need a change in glasses, so on to the opthamologist I go. Come to find out I have Cataracts in both Eyes, pretty bad!

I went under the blade last Monday and the Surgeon replaced the Lens in my Left Eye. Today I'm running around with the left lens removed from my Glasses just so I don't kill meself when I'm up and about.

The Monday after next the Docs will hack into my Right Eye to replace that Lens, then I can ditch my Glasses forever:mrgreen: Been wearing Glasses since the third grade. I cannot believe how clear my left eye is! Looking forward to the 13th of July.

One other thing about these Lenses, they are UV coated and they also filter out a little Blue Light, really makes the Reds, Yellows, Orange pop out and cuts down on the haze. Wish I had this done years ago...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2015 10:31 |  #9372

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #17621238 (external link)
For a little under a year I was wondering why most of my Photos were a little soft ( I shoot Manual a lot ) and my groups are starting to open up from 25yds on up with both Pistol and Rifle ( I shoot Irons ). Uh Oh! I need a change in glasses, so on to the opthamologist I go. Come to find out I have Cataracts in both Eyes, pretty bad!

I went under the blade last Monday and the Surgeon replaced the Lens in my Left Eye. Today I'm running around with the left lens removed from my Glasses just so I don't kill meself when I'm up and about.

The Monday after next the Docs will hack into my Right Eye to replace that Lens, then I can ditch my Glasses forever:mrgreen: Been wearing Glasses since the third grade. I cannot believe how clear my left eye is! Looking forward to the 13th of July.

One other thing about these Lenses, they are UV coated and they also filter out a little Blue Light, really makes the Reds, Yellows, Orange pop out and cuts down on the haze. Wish I had this done years ago...............

That statement alone makes me shudder...but congrats on regaining your sight! I've been wearing glasses for about 30 and hate them for the most part. I thought about contacts, but i'm into the progressive lens stage. This is a reminder for me to make an appointment though. It's been a few years, and I'm sure my glasses are probably not as precise as they should be.

feedback

gear list

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 05, 2015 11:14 |  #9373

jay125 wrote in post #17621324 (external link)
That statement alone makes me shudder...but congrats on regaining your sight! I've been wearing glasses for about 30 and hate them for the most part. I thought about contacts, but i'm into the progressive lens stage. This is a reminder for me to make an appointment though. It's been a few years, and I'm sure my glasses are probably not as precise as they should be.

If you're over 40 and you have a problem Driving at Night with the Headlights blinding the living crap out of you, get your peepers checked for Cataracts.

As for me, I cannot wear Contacts, can't stand anything on my Eye. As for the Cataract Surgery, from the time I was wheeled into the OR and out the Door was 15min, it was that fast. You are awake the whole time but the Fun Juice they inject you with makes you "don't give a crap" about anything:-D I was talking Bikes with the Male Nurse during the procedure:lol: Now I can wear the cheap 8-) shades of my choice...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 05, 2015 13:54 |  #9374

jay125 wrote in post #17621324 (external link)

I put on my first pair of eyeglasses on May 5, 1957, and never took them off! It never bothered me.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

KeithS
269 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 05, 2015 16:57 |  #9375

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #17621373 (external link)
If you're over 40 and you have a problem Driving at Night with the Headlights blinding the living crap out of you, get your peepers checked for Cataracts.

As for me, I cannot wear Contacts, can't stand anything on my Eye. As for the Cataract Surgery, from the time I was wheeled into the OR and out the Door was 15min, it was that fast. You are awake the whole time but the Fun Juice they inject you with makes you "don't give a crap" about anything:-D I was talking Bikes with the Male Nurse during the procedure:lol: Now I can wear the cheap 8-) shades of my choice...............

At 65, I had to renew my driver's license, and for the first time since my twenties I did not need glasses to pass. A few months later, lymphoma hit and about one-third of the way through the chemo, my vision went nuts-each eye individually was fine. Together, it was double vision (try driving with one eye closed, left to right). About two-thirds of the way through chemo, my vision was back to normal????

I have the faintest traces of cataracts, so maybe in a few years I can experience the joy-juice too.

sponsored links

803,868 views & 171 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.