Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Jun 2015 (Saturday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it really that vital to get a "Quality" antistatic mat, and antistatic wrist band etc. or is it all hype

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 06, 2015 09:18 |  #16

Alveric wrote in post #17619233 (external link)
Indeed. I don't work on my machine unless the humidity is at least 40% or greater.

My understand was dry air was worse for static yet another posted thinks the opposite?

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 06, 2015 10:13 |  #17

When I used to do repair work, I would use a wrist band grounded to the computer chassis. Remember, the discharge is caused by the difference in electric potential.

Joel

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 06, 2015 11:42 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #18

Humid air does reduce the likelihood of static discharge. Water molecules will help prevent static charges transferring to another component, as they'll be suspended in the water molecules as well . FWIW, I've never needed an antistatic band building or repairing computers in my relatively humid part of the world. The UK stays pretty humid from what I understand, so I think you're fine just touching a grounded metal case before handling circuit boards. But if an antistatic band gives you piece of mind, that's better security too :)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2015 12:21 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Submariner wrote in post #17622412 (external link)
My understand was dry air was worse for static yet another posted thinks the opposite?

AT the risk of sounding pompous, I'm in the right: tons of times being zapped by touching anything metallic in my old apartment in the winter time attest to it. When I had no humidifier and the humidity was 10% (:eek: yeah, I know) I was zapped even by touching metal buried under plaster: you could see the voltaic arc, and yeah, it was hella painful. You don't want those fireworks between your fingers and the motherboard.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 06, 2015 15:17 as a reply to  @ post 17622406 |  #20

There is certainly no harm in using one, especially for how cheap they are. You will have to get used to having something tugging at your wrist all the time :P

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 06, 2015 15:19 |  #21

RileyNZL wrote in post #17622749 (external link)
There is certainly no harm in using one, especially for how cheap they are. You will have to get used to having something tugging at your wrist all the time :P

Anyone with kids should already know the feeling. :lol:

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 06, 2015 18:24 |  #22

Well I ordered a 600 x 500mm antistatic mat, that has a crocodile clip. For £13 why not.
I've connected my 4mmx2 silverplated spare speaker wire to the earth pin of a plug one can remove thenpositve and minus prongs. Idea is one wire will go to me! ( dont worry I do have a really brilliant earth leakage cuircit breaker system - proven by the installing electrician, who touched the live + cooker wire to prove it kicks in before you can feel it - it flicked the cooker fuse and popped the main cuircuit breaker to the whole house. Wow I think he was mental! ) by just wrapping around my wrist secured by electrical tape. And the other wire will go to the mats crockodile clip. And I will work on the computer pluggged in but switched off at the room socket. ( hopefully that should ground the chassis ?)

So will that help?

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2015 20:18 |  #23

Please please put a 10 or even 1 M Ohm resistor between the wire and the earth pin. If the earth leakage device fails and you get a live voltage from somewhere you will end up with some nasty burns at the least. Given just how cheap a resistor is it is simply not worth taking the chance. I have seen the results of electrical burns first hand, and it's not nice. It didn't help that having seen my oppo from the day shift, on his arrival back from the hospital with his hands all bandaged up, the first job I had to do, before fixing the fault that had got him, was to scrape the remains of the burnt flesh/skin from the equipment rack. Generally if I am working with exposed voltages above 12V then I will not wear any metal jewelry or a wrist watch either. I have had my share of being bitten too, although never got any burns thank god. Had all sorts of voltages, from all sorts of DC power supplies, -600V -50V (for post office relays, so lots of current available), as well as 240V mains and even the center HT lead from the coil to a distributor, that one really was painful, as it was a series of pulses, and although it ran very rough, it didn't stall the car. I was on it for about 10 seconds before I could pull myself off. Fortunately I don't have to do my own car servicing anymore.

I know keep on about this, but its just not worth the risk IMO.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 06, 2015 20:47 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #24

Point taken, when you say a 1 M ohm resistor is that 1 Megohm?
I will get one from Maplins - for a few pence got to be safe eh!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,001 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 07, 2015 13:04 |  #25

Submariner wrote in post #17623078 (external link)
Point taken, when you say a 1 M ohm resistor is that 1 Megohm?
I will get one from Maplins - for a few pence got to be safe eh!

Yes that would be either a 10 Megohm (10 MΩ), my choice if I were getting a resistor, or a 1 Megohm if I had one laying around, it's not that important, but I wouldn't go under.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,304 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2015 13:32 |  #26

BigAl007 wrote in post #17623775 (external link)
Yes that would be either a 10 Megohm (10 MΩ), my choice if I were getting a resistor, or a 1 Megohm if I had one laying around, it's not that important, but I wouldn't go under.

Alan

I got curious and played around with the math. It seems that anything over 100 mA can be lethal and as little as 10 mA can cause pain so a little Ohms law math and it seems that a 1.5k resistor is the minimum for safety in that it wont kill you but probably hurt like heck and a 15k get you to where it's barely noticeable. Of course there is little to be gained from going too small. I made up a cable with a clip and a 1m resistor and I would just clip it to a sheet of aluminum foil and ground.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 07, 2015 18:55 |  #27

gjl711 wrote in post #17623796 (external link)
I got curious and played around with the math. It seems that anything over 100 mA can be lethal and as little as 10 mA can cause pain so a little Ohms law math and it seems that a 1.5k resistor is the minimum for safety in that it wont kill you but probably hurt like heck and a 15k get you to where it's barely noticeable. Of course there is little to be gained from going too small. I made up a cable with a clip and a 1m resistor and I would just clip it to a sheet of aluminum foil and ground.

Sounds like a good idea. Half the reason I got the mat was to protect my desk that is covered in pretty soft nappa leather.

Blake.Ross
25 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 15, 2015 06:04 |  #28

I've built many computers from scratch and never used or needed one.

But if you're worried about it, just wear a metal watch and have an alligator clip connected to the band and the chassis of the computer and your grounded.

No need to spend any more than $2 to do the job. Electricity doesn't care if it's some fancy wrist band or not, as long as you're connected to the chassis, you are grounded.

Canon 5D Mk3 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 135mm f/2
Canon 400D l 75-300mm l 50mm f/1.8 l Sigma 10-20 l 430EXII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,628 views & 1 like for this thread
Is it really that vital to get a "Quality" antistatic mat, and antistatic wrist band etc. or is it all hype
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.