Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Jul 2015 (Monday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

download sales store software

wallacej
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jul 06, 2015 14:20 |  #1

I'm looking for software recommendations to sell digital student yearbook photos. We're a small, rural college, and we're toying with the idea of having our staff photographer take the student photos in lieu of a contract photographer.

To simplify matters, we would just like to have a flat fee for an image download instead of printed images. We also need to be able to keep photos private so that only the student and his or her parents is able to see the proofs.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2015 14:34 |  #2

i use this and am happy, but have yet to need to hook up the full e-commerce package.

http://www.nextgen-gallery.com/nextgen-pro/ (external link)

you would have to create a word press page for each student and password protect it. Doing that is very simple but on the scale of hundreds of students would probably become tedious to say the least. Then you have to manage passwords and possibly resetting them … ugh.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 06, 2015 14:37 |  #3

smug mug...set your own price and only allow downloads to be purchased. Each student has their own gallery (super easy to do), then you make it password protected and make it the password that the school assigned them for their school email and tell them that.

Once you set up your first gallery the way you want it, you simply save those setting and you can quick add those setting to any gallery.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

wallacej
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jul 06, 2015 14:42 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

LHB, thanks you for replying! Unfortunately, it would become quite tedious....

wallacej
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jul 06, 2015 14:44 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #5

Thanks, Blake, we'll look into it!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jul 06, 2015 15:14 |  #6

BlakeC wrote in post #17622709 (external link)
(super easy to do)

can you expand on that?

in WordPress it would be

Make New Page > Name Page (with student's name) > click password protect, add password > add pictures to gallery > profit :D

I have kind of looked at this from the point of view of doing school pics, and while i think it would be possible, I would probably have to hire someone at minimum wage to create the pages and upload the images. The potential for typos in either the person's name or password, or the potential to upload the wrong pics to the page, could easily erase any profitability.

hard to imagine smug mug being any easier or with any fewer potential errors.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 06, 2015 15:25 |  #7

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17622744 (external link)
can you expand on that?

in WordPress it would be

Make New Page > Name Page (with student's name) > click password protect, add password > add pictures to gallery > profit :D

I have kind of looked at this from the point of view of doing school pics, and while i think it would be possible, I would probably have to hire someone at minimum wage to create the pages and upload the images. The potential for typos in either the person's name or password, or the potential to upload the wrong pics to the page, could easily erase any profitability.

hard to imagine smug mug being any easier or with any fewer potential errors.

Not saying ur method isnt easy...just that smugmug is.... Pretty much the same as yours though...
New Gallery > Name Gallery (with student's name) > click password protect, add password > add pictures to gallery > profit

Making a new one for each student just sucks. Its quick but adds up. If everyone wasnt so touchy, you could just put them all in one gallery and let them buy downloads of whatever.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

wallacej
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallacej.

Jul 06, 2015 15:39 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #8

"If everyone wasn't so touchy."

Amen!

Maybe we make each student sign a release promising not to be "touchy" and then we upload them all.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2015 15:40 |  #9

BlakeC wrote in post #17622761 (external link)
Not saying ur method isnt easy...

naw man, i didn't think you were.

i just didn't know if they had some way of making it easier, by uploading a CSV file or something. I have to imagine that is what the big studios do … probably enter the name once and then a key number. Once that is done, it is probably all bar codes and matched up electronically.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlakeC.

Jul 06, 2015 15:45 |  #10

Could you have them sign some sort of "release" agreeing to the digital download and to let you put them on a private school gallery? This method, you could make one gallery for the entire "Class of 20XX" and only the students who are in it get the password emailed to them with the link. That way, you don't have to make a gallery for each student. BUT each student can see the others. No biggie if they agree to it. Just tell them "Read and sign this release to allow us to upload your photo to the class gallery...blah blah" The ones who don't sign, must pay MORE to get a print or maybe their own private gallery?

Blake C

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by flowrider.

Jul 06, 2015 16:20 |  #11

Shootproof would do what you want very inexpensively. The can also fulfill and drop ship through the labs they work with. Much less expensive than getting a Smugmug account as well since you'd have to purchase their "Pro" account in order to set your own prices.

Try it out >> http://shpr.ws/1ki (external link)

If you use that link and sign up I get a free month (in the interest of full disclosure)

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

PhotosGuy
75,879 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 07, 2015 07:14 |  #12

Sites to Host/Selling Pictures

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 07, 2015 12:37 |  #13

Try - https://www.picturespr​o.com/ (external link)

I have been using their PhotoCart software for a few years now, their new software Sytist is even better, I just haven't had time to switch over to it yet.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
download sales store software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.