Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do You Get a Meal at the Wedding Job?"
Do you get a meal on your weddding job?
90.9%
Do you bring your own meal?
2.3%
Is the option of a meal in your contract?
6.8%

44 voters, 44 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does Wedding Photographer Get A Meal?

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 17, 2015 21:22 |  #166

Wow, I always thought that section in my contract was just a formality. Now Im glad I have it. I require a meal for myself, my second, and any other assistant I may need to do their event. The exact number is specified.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,454 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 08, 2015 12:14 |  #167

my contract does say that being offered a meal is totally optional, and very much appreciated.

In the case that no meal is provided, i/we will leave for no less than 1 hour and no coverage will be made available during that time, and are not responsible for anything missed then. If we do eat on site, we have no problems interrupting our meal to get shots of anything that may come up during the meal (toasts, singing, etc...)

Often, you can just walk up to service staff and ask, and they will bring you something... tip them, and they remember you ;-)a

once missed a cake cutting... we had clarified by email a few days prior to the wedding about the no-meal thing... and then just before we left, I told the bride and the DJ that we would be gone for an hour, and to hold anything that requires us until we got back..... and somehow, the cake was cut within 15 minutes of us leaving.... when we returned, I noticed the cake was gone, I asked about it, and then she realized we missed it and was upset about it, but understood that it was her call to cut the cake when I wasn't there, and had to live with it...

at another wedding, clarified that there was no-meal... when it was time to leave, same thing again, told bride and DJ that we were headed offsite, and to hold anything that required pics for an hour... at that point she did not want us to leave, and asked if we could alternate going out for dinner, or bring it back... explained that wasn't an option as from golf course to closest 'fast food' was easily a 15 mins drive each way... she then summoned someone from the kitchen over, and got us plates made... poorest dinner ever received at a wedding, but still beat having to go out and find something...

5D4 / Want a 1D X
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x/2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X2, 430EX-III X4

dan.k78
422 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2015 15:02 |  #168

Thought I would add an experience that goes 180 degrees from some of the "hired help" attitudes that get aimed at us (as well as other vendors). Yes, many times we get shuffled off to some distant corner of the facility to scarf down a quick sandwich or whatnot; however, sometimes we get the same meals as the guests, and sometimes even are sat with the guests. Two weeks ago however took the prize in terms of food at a wedding. It was a small affair (35 guests total) at a friend of the groom's family home (the bride and groom currently live out of state).
The host family was old-school Italian and their hospitality to everyone in attendance (guests, photographers, and the accordion player) was second to none. Numerous times both myself and the other photographer politely declined cocktails from the bride and groom. When it came to dinner, we were told "you're part of our special day today; you're family" and that not eating would (jokingly of course) insult the cook (an Italian mother whom I would not wanted to have crossed! LOL!). All i can say is WOW! Homemade Italian Wedding soup, a giant "vat" of "Sunday Sauce" with 10 lbs. of meatballs, pork ribs, beef ribs, and tenderloin were the stars of the meal. But that wasn't the end of it. After dinner out came 12 (yes, a dozen) pies; keep in mind there were only 35 guests total! By the time the other photographer and were ready to leave, we were both given full plates of desserts to take home to our significant others (and yes, my wife was very appreciative!). It was definitely one of the best meals I've ever had at a wedding; guest or working.

I guess I have no other point to make as it applies to the original topic other than every situation is different and that whether a meal is included should be covered in the contract. Whether it should or shouldn't be a part of what we as photographers receive the day of the wedding is really just a matter of opinion.

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Canon 24-70II f/2.8L, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 08, 2015 15:19 |  #169

She sounds like an unreasonable human being to begin with. The type of person whose wedding I wouldn't want to shoot. Is she charging you because she actually wants you to pay for your food, or is she charging you because she is mad you took a break? I have it in my contract that I get to eat if it is over 5 hours. The last one I shot, the brides (yes, 2 girls) basically forced me to eat and made me take a break and eat. You are working for her for 10hrs, she should expect you to take a break and eat. And what meal costs $136?!

You should have put it in your contract though. So, did she actually get charged $136 for your meal then pass it on to you? Or did she just come up with that amount?

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 08, 2015 23:15 |  #170

dan.k78 wrote in post #17624972 (external link)
Thought I would add an experience that goes 180 degrees from some of the "hired help" attitudes that get aimed at us (as well as other vendors). Yes, many times we get shuffled off to some distant corner of the facility to scarf down a quick sandwich or whatnot; however, sometimes we get the same meals as the guests, and sometimes even are sat with the guests. Two weeks ago however took the prize in terms of food at a wedding. It was a small affair (35 guests total) at a friend of the groom's family home (the bride and groom currently live out of state).
The host family was old-school Italian and their hospitality to everyone in attendance (guests, photographers, and the accordion player) was second to none. Numerous times both myself and the other photographer politely declined cocktails from the bride and groom. When it came to dinner, we were told "you're part of our special day today; you're family" and that not eating would (jokingly of course) insult the cook (an Italian mother whom I would not wanted to have crossed! LOL!). All i can say is WOW! Homemade Italian Wedding soup, a giant "vat" of "Sunday Sauce" with 10 lbs. of meatballs, pork ribs, beef ribs, and tenderloin were the stars of the meal. But that wasn't the end of it. After dinner out came 12 (yes, a dozen) pies; keep in mind there were only 35 guests total! By the time the other photographer and were ready to leave, we were both given full plates of desserts to take home to our significant others (and yes, my wife was very appreciative!). It was definitely one of the best meals I've ever had at a wedding; guest or working.

I guess I have no other point to make as it applies to the original topic other than every situation is different and that whether a meal is included should be covered in the contract. Whether it should or shouldn't be a part of what we as photographers receive the day of the wedding is really just a matter of opinion.

Wow...that sounds like a fantastic wedding function. I hope you managed to shoot some picture of the couple and not just the meatballs! :-D

I've been invited to Italian and Greecian weddings. Things they both have in common are the warmth from the hosts and the ever abundance of food! Oh yes, not to mention the kissing on the cheeks.:cry:

dan.k78
422 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 09, 2015 16:01 as a reply to  @ Aswald's post |  #171

Lots of great pics to be sure. AND it was pouring rain the whole day, but it didn't seem to phase the bride or groom AT ALL. They moved the ceremony inside (easy to do with only 35 guests I suppose), and then for the couple's "portrait session", they looked outside, saw the rain, looked at us and said, "screw it, let's go have some fun!". I wish I could work with people like this every week!

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Canon 24-70II f/2.8L, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 09, 2015 21:46 |  #172

Thank goodness for weather sealing! :-) Sounds like a great wedding. Some people just know when to let loose and have some fun.....this couple will go places for sure....

Nick5
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 10, 2015 00:20 |  #173

Aswald wrote in post #17625428 (external link)
Wow...that sounds like a fantastic wedding function. I hope you managed to shoot some picture of the couple and not just the meatballs! :-D

I've been invited to Italian and Greecian weddings. Things they both have in common are the warmth from the hosts and the ever abundance of food! Oh yes, not to mention the kissing on the cheeks.:cry:

Being Greek myself, I agree.
Feeding people is what we do.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 10, 2015 02:43 |  #174

Nick5 wrote in post #17626584 (external link)
Being Greek myself, I agree.
Feeding people is what we do.

Hear, hear.....a toast to you! I've never danced, ate and kissed cheeks so much in my life! It was great. I loved it.

Please do continue this rather excellent tradition! :-D

Nick5
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 10, 2015 10:15 |  #175

"Ever abundance of food" for some.
For Greeks, that is normal.
My wife who is German and Irish has certainly adopted the "Greek" way of life.
God forbid you run out of food. :-P

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by mannetti21. (3 edits in all)

Jul 10, 2015 14:36 |  #176

I'm just going to put this out there, in Donald Trump fashion; If you can't allow your photographer a meal, or even a 30-60min break to eat his own food, you're a douche and surely your photographer is not the only one to realize this. Some people are content with that label, and that is fine as it just reinforces the point.

That's essentially what most are thinking to themselves, but are wasting time trying to convey the thought in a diplomatic manner while providing rationale.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 11, 2015 01:19 |  #177

mannetti21 wrote in post #17627205 (external link)
I'm just going to put this out there, in Donald Trump fashion; If you can't allow your photographer a meal, or even a 30-60min break to eat his own food, you're a douche and surely your photographer is not the only one to realize this. Some people are content with that label, and that is fine as it just reinforces the point.

That's essentially what most are thinking to themselves, but are wasting time trying to convey the thought in a diplomatic manner while providing rationale.

I like this.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2015 01:22 |  #178

Now I want some Greek food.

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 11, 2015 07:58 |  #179

Your bride is rude. Having said that, she has a point: we're paid for our work and I don't ever expect a meal, or include it in my contract. if I have a plumber at my house working all day, he doesn't expect me to feed him. I feel the same working at other people's functions. I get good money, so I feel it's rude to expect the extra perk of a guest meal.

It's always nice to be fed though. And if I get looked after, and the couple is friendly and nice, I tend to add that extra 10% of effort in post. If I was a groom, I'd be giving my tog a meal and table place for that very reason.

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,101 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 11, 2015 13:07 |  #180

vanmidd wrote in post #17627801 (external link)
if I have a plumber at my house working all day, he doesn't expect me to feed him.

Your plumber can take an hour off for lunch and still get your pipes fixed. Covering an event as a photographer is more like covering an event as a reporter. Leaving the site might make you miss something you should have caught. This is obvious to me even though (disclaimer) I don't do event photography.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

23,956 views & 75 likes for this thread
Does Wedding Photographer Get A Meal?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.