Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2015 (Saturday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Come on, time to be honest....

this thread is locked
Eric ­ Myers
122 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by Eric Myers.

Jun 30, 2015 22:31 |  #106

99% manual
.5% Shutter Priority
.5% Aperture Priority

Told from the get go to use manual, thankful I did.. Learned more about composing images that way as well as my camera.

sponsored links
Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,996 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 06, 2015 23:43 |  #107

Only had a DSLR (7D) for about 11 months now. I pretty much always shoot in Manual. I'm still learning, and this forum has been a blessing to me!

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

BillSXT2002
36 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 07, 2015 15:35 |  #108

80% AV
10% M
10% Auto

Usually, I get the desired effect of my photos by using AV, it allows me to control DOF, which is generally what I am looking for. I am starting to use my flash more, and I have been spending time in Auto and M to get a feel for how to control it better.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 09, 2015 08:50 |  #109

I paid an obscene amount of money for my 1Ds3 when it first came out...
discovered that a histogram could be displayed on the LCD. Have shot manual ever since then.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 10, 2015 03:53 |  #110
bannedPermanently

Manual when using strobes/studio (obviously) Av majority of the time + exposure comps. If know my SS is dropping. Then I usually pump up the ISO. I like to control depth in my photographs.

It lets me worry about other things like light/composition/styl​ing

Me personally manual is great but you can miss the moment if you too busy worrying about all the numbers. AV is nice because I can be like "Hey 2.8 knock out everything behind them." or "Hey 11 let's keep everything focus." and ohhh my ss is dropping under 100 let's push the ISO a bit.

Light can change ridiculously quick.

but heyyy thats just me but never full auto lol.

Silver-Halide
838 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 10, 2015 18:07 |  #111

Full manual whenever subject(s) are at least semi-stationary, maybe a total of 75% of all shots. With semi-moving targets or fast action I'll use AV + EC for a total of 20+% of the time. Bulb and TV the remaining 1-5% of the time. I never use program or full auto.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 12, 2015 17:00 |  #112

I'm roughly guessing here, but my breakdown would be something like this...

50% manual
40% Av
8% Tv
2% P or 'green box'

The P or green box shots are for when I need something quick and quality isn't an issue. Something disposable, basically.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 21, 2015 22:33 |  #113
bannedPermanent ban

gonzogolf wrote in post #17610856 (external link)
But saying av or tv are semi auto obfuscates that they are auto modes, not semi, you might have some control over the priotiy of the algorithms, but its still auto, not semi.

Sorry, have to disagree here...

While it's not being used in a full manual setup, using Tv for motorsport cannot be called shooting in manual by any definition...the resulting images differ dramatically depending on what speed I MANUALLY select for each shot...

The same goes for Av...

There is a lot of 'manual' biased snobbery in photography I've noticed over the years...

Sure I'm not in 'full manual' but I AM in charge... :p

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 22, 2015 07:42 |  #114

STIC wrote in post #17639861 (external link)
Sorry, have to disagree here...

While it's not being used in a full manual setup, using Tv for motorsport cannot be called shooting in manual by any definition...the resulting images differ dramatically depending on what speed I MANUALLY select for each shot...

The same goes for Av...

There is a lot of 'manual' biased snobbery in photography I've noticed over the years...

Sure I'm not in 'full manual' but I AM in charge... :p

So you disagree with his statement which said that Av and Tv modes are NOT manual modes?

I clearly need more coffee this morning.

But I personally see nothing wrong with calling them semi-auto modes as opposed to full auto modes. The user is clearly taking control of some of the values, while configuring the system to calculate other values for them on the fly. They are useful tools when you understand what is going on and how to use them, and when deployed in a proper manner under suitable conditions then they are capable of out performing what you can do in full manual mode.

Your camera is a tool with many modes. Learn to use that tool to create the images that you desire. At the end of the day if you are walking away with results that make you happy and haven't struggled to get them, then what settings you used on your camera really don't matter. No one viewing it on a wall in a gallery will ever care what they were. (Well, no totally sane person at least.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Bracetty
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 22, 2015 13:15 |  #115

I shoot only manual simply because that's how I started. Then I could only afford manual lenses, needless to say shooting with AF is blowing my mind haha

http://dopelahomacity.​tumblr.com/ (external link)
Canon 6D & 60D Gripped, Bower 85mm 1/4, Canon 50mm f1/4, 70-200 2.8 L IS V2, Canon 135mm 2.0 L, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VS, 2X Yongnuo 580

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 22, 2015 14:48 |  #116

I shoot mostly sports and use my 1Dxs in manual mode but with auto ISO. For changing situations, I will adjust the exposure compensation that adjusts the ISO as necessary but still automatically if that makes sense. Best feature ever on a camera IMHO.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2015 17:06 |  #117

My first proper camera was a 350D and I tried "P" (is that Auto?) mode for a few days - completely did my head in! Never used it since as it is too confusing - my simple brain likes Manual (with Auto ISO) these days.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,778 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2015 17:14 |  #118

Av about 80% of the time, manual about 20%. Basically M when using a flash, Av most of the rest of the time.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by STIC.

Jul 23, 2015 20:12 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

Luckless wrote in post #17640169 (external link)
So you disagree with his statement which said that Av and Tv modes are NOT manual modes?

I clearly need more coffee this morning.

But I personally see nothing wrong with calling them semi-auto modes as opposed to full auto modes. The user is clearly taking control of some of the values, while configuring the system to calculate other values for them on the fly. They are useful tools when you understand what is going on and how to use them, and when deployed in a proper manner under suitable conditions then they are capable of out performing what you can do in full manual mode.

Your camera is a tool with many modes. Learn to use that tool to create the images that you desire. At the end of the day if you are walking away with results that make you happy and haven't struggled to get them, then what settings you used on your camera really don't matter. No one viewing it on a wall in a gallery will ever care what they were. (Well, no totally sane person at least.)

Sorry, that should have read..."using Tv for motorsport cannot be called shooting in auto by any definition."

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 23, 2015 20:13 as a reply to  @ STIC's post |  #120

Well it sure isnt manual.

sponsored links

25,850 views & 9 likes for this thread
Come on, time to be honest....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.