Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2015 (Friday) 22:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

beginner photographer

charlie15
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by charlie15.

Jul 03, 2015 22:12 |  #1

Hey guys,
I have always been interested in becoming a photographer and while in an art gallery i was talking to a photographer that recommended this website for the question i asked him, saying "it will be better to get more than just my opinion on it." The question was "What is a good beginner camera that i will be able to keep for a long time and only have to change and upgrade the lens?" Any ideas? Preferably a camera that is not outrageously expensive:-)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 03, 2015 22:26 |  #2

"becoming a photographer" covers a lot of ground. Do you have any photographic experience up to now, any idea what you'd like to take pictures of & what your starting budget will be?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

charlie15
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jul 03, 2015 22:33 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

I have a little experience and am currently going to take a photography class soon. I would like to take pictures of nature, architecture, and people. I know this is super broad :-). i believe my starting budget would be no more than 1,500. I'm mostly just looking for a good camera which will last a long time and later i will end up upgrading lenses by selling or trading.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,390 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 03, 2015 23:14 |  #4

charlie15 wrote in post #17619843 (external link)
I have a little experience and am currently going to take a photography class soon. I would like to take pictures of nature, architecture, and people. I know this is super broad :-). i believe my starting budget would be no more than 1,500. I'm mostly just looking for a good camera which will last a long time and later i will end up upgrading lenses by selling or trading.

Typically a beginner misunderstanding, it exactly the opposite you need to do. With your budget buy the best lens/ses you can and and with the left over buy a cheap body or why not a second hand body
Nowadays ALL DSLR are excellent, but the light pass ALWAYS first by the lens before to hit the camera sensor, put a coke bottle in front of your camera sensor and you will get what you had paid for even if your camera is the best in the universe ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

charlie15
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Jul 03, 2015 23:43 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #5

Any ideas on what lens and body to buy then?

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,889 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 04, 2015 00:26 |  #6

$1500? I think the best camera to really learn photography and grasp the basics of exposure is with a a used 5D classic for about $600 or $700. For lenses, go for a 35mm L prime for about $800 or any of the options for a 50mm (Canon f1.8, Canon f1.4 or Sigma f1.4) at various prices. The Sigma is pricey, so consider getting the Canon 1.8 or 1.4 and have some money left over for a flash and tripod.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

charlie15
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by charlie15.

Jul 04, 2015 00:59 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #7

So will this body and lens be able to take city night shots too? And what do you think about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,477 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by texkam. (3 edits in all)

Jul 04, 2015 02:30 |  #8

Get a used body. 5D, SL1, Rebel T4i, T3i, 50D etc. along with an inexpensive medium range zoom kit lens. Pick up the new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, a Yongnuo flash and wireless triggers, an inexpensive umbrella and stand and a set of reflectors. This should be more than enough to learn with. Next, learn the craft. YouTube is your friend. At this point you will know when you'll need to purchase and what you'll need to purchase. Master the craft, then shop with knowlege and confidence.

..........Tripod too.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,390 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Jul 04, 2015 07:50 |  #9

charlie15 wrote in post #17619950 (external link)
So will this body and lens be able to take city night shots too? And what do you think about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon

This lens work only on APS-C bodies, meaning the 1D, 5D and 6D series won't work with it, but you don't care because those camera are out of your budget.
reading the comments on B&H or Amazon, It seems to be an excellent all-around lens, plus it's an extremely fast zoom lens which is rare at a constant aperture of f/1.8 means also that this lens is excellent for very low light situation, portraiture, etc ... ;)

With a 700D($500) or a 750D($700) or a 760D($800) or any second hand APS-C Body and i think you will enjoy photography, and later on in months, just get some lenses like an ultra wide angle when you will know you real needs after practicing.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,889 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Nathan.

Jul 04, 2015 09:05 |  #10

charlie15 wrote in post #17619950 (external link)

Fantastic lens. I started the sample photo thread, but didn't think about it because it's made for a crop body. It's huge though. Plus, I think you'll be better off having a flash and tripod.

City night shots can be taken with long exposures. The cameras ISO is not as capable as newer cameras. However, I like the idea of the body's stripped down features to give you to learn technique. No high ISO to rely on, focusing takes a deliberated approach, no movie mode to distract you, just a solid camera. I owned one until I outgrew it.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,827 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 04, 2015 11:51 |  #11

Getting the best body and a cheap lens is definitely backwards. I also think that getting a mediocre body and really pricey lens isn't the best option either. I would get something like a Sony a6000 or mid range DSLR like a Canon t6i, t6s or Nikon d5500 and a couple of decent lenses. A good standard zoom like a 17-50mm f2.8 suits many people, with that I'd get a decent 28mm or 35mm prime lens to learn the advantages of a standard prime lens, the old Canon EF 35/2 (non-IS) can be had for under $250 and is fantastic.

Take a look at this video though; https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4 (external link)

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 04, 2015 14:02 |  #12

Whatever camera you start with is going to be a decent camera if you put effort into learning core concepts of light, exposure, and general composition, but odds are you're going to be considering some upgrade to the body before too long. Picking up pretty much any entry level camera will be more than enough to explore and learn on. Personally I started with a cheap little Canon T3 a few years ago but fairly quickly upgraded to a 7D because as I explored more I got drawn into sports and wildlife.

Before you buy a camera, go join your local photo club. Ask around and figure out what systems are being used in your area. If nearly everyone shoots Nikon then it makes less sense to consider a Canon body as that will mean you won't have as many potential lenses to borrow or buy on the local used market.

Upgrade and expand your collection of glass. Good glass will last you decades if you take care of it, while digital camera bodies are going to leave you feeling dated in a few years.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 10, 2015 03:58 as a reply to  @ charlie15's post |  #13
bannedPermanently

I'd grab something like a nice 70D or 7Dm2 and enjoy the classes and ask for critiques like crazy and keep an open/humble mind =]

website ah squarespace is a simple easy to use website that you can easily attach a .com too with godaddy.com

have fun and enjoy it!

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. (3 edits in all)

Jul 10, 2015 14:44 |  #14

charlie15 wrote in post #17619827 (external link)
Hey guys,
I have always been interested in becoming a photographer and while in an art gallery i was talking to a photographer that recommended this website for the question i asked him, saying "it will be better to get more than just my opinion on it." The question was "What is a good beginner camera that i will be able to keep for a long time and only have to change and upgrade the lens?" Any ideas? Preferably a camera that is not outrageously expensive:-)

Cameras, being digital devices, really don't hold value, but lenses for the most part do. So what to invest in? considering you talk of the possibility of future "upgrades", look at what the high end offers and if it will suit you in the long run, as there is little that separates low-end cameras:

Canon currently makes the fastest DSLRs in terms of autofocus speed and capture rate, plus the lens selection is top-notch, but the sensors are old.
Nikon is no slow-poke either, but their focus is on sensors with high detail and dynamic range, although the lenses are a bit less impressive than Canons'... in my opinion.
Sony makes exceptionally compact and quiet cameras, but the lens selection is only just starting to get filled out, although you can use adapters to attach almost any kind of lens.
Pentax often gets overlooked due to the fact that they haven't had a full-frame camera offering, but their cameras pack a lot of features for the price.

Canon cameras are very easy to use, and it's the brand I learned photography on, but it's your choice. For what it's worth, in 2015 I wouldn't buy a Canon myself... 5~6 years ago, I would, but the competition has really brought out their best in recent years.
Consider a used Sony A7 perhaps, it's cheap, full-frame, has modern features, and it won't burden you with size or heft. The batteries don't last as long as some other cameras, but not enough to be a problem for a beginner I think, get a spare in any case, it's always a good idea.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 10, 2015 15:53 |  #15

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17627218 (external link)
Pentax often gets overlooked due to the fact that they haven't had a full-frame camera offering, but their cameras pack a lot of features for the price.

But what is fuller frame than full frame? Medium format...

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

8,238 views & 3 likes for this thread
beginner photographer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.