Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2015 (Friday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to apply for photography job with "no experience"

TTUShooter
378 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 19, 2015 08:59 |  #1

So in the organization i work for there is a photography job that has opened up. Requirements are high school diploma and 4 years photography experience. I meet the educational requirements, went to college and got a business degree, but picked up photography well after college and graduation.

The application starts off asking for a Resume to attach or copy. and here is where i run into my first question. My entire career has been in business administration and customer service. I have been doing photography personally for fun for a few years, but i have no "professional experience". I mean i've done some paying gigs for product photography and some family portraiture stuff, but its not what i'd call a side business or any sort of regular income.

My entire photographic journey has been self taught, i've taken no formal classes. Its all been reading books, articles, websites and watching stuff on youtube. That and just lots of practice.

If i have free time, i want to spend it doing something photography related.

So I guess my real question is how do i convey this information in a resume to be seen by some corporate hiring manager and have them not immediatly toss my resume into the big old round file?

Cameras: EOS 7d mark II, Fuji X100F, Leica M8, Leica M2-R,
Lenses: A Whole mess of them.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by ksbal.

Jun 19, 2015 09:22 |  #2

Have to show someone your photo portfolio. someone who counts. Be sure it is on the topic/subject of what the job is going to be shooting.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2015 09:25 |  #3

What are some of the main details about this job (job description)?

If I were you, I'd make my resume' one of a kind by break down all the details as you describe in your post about what you have done. Along with that, attach 2 sheets of 8.5"x11" with collages with 8-12 images (total on both sheets) of your best corporate related photos based on the job description.

Good luck!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 19, 2015 09:25 |  #4

Since you already work there, maybe asking HR that question would be best? Maybe attaching an 8-1/2 X 11" print (with several smaller images in it) to the resume would be allowed.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2015 09:26 |  #5

^^^ Only great mind, think alike :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,370 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 19, 2015 09:35 |  #6

ksbal wrote in post #17603130 (external link)
Have to show someone your photo portfolio. someone who counts. Be sure it is on the topic/subject of what the job is going to be shooting.

Agree, and you have an advantage, you are already working for the organization, so go to meet the responsible/manager/HR who want to hire a photographer and speak directly with her/him (bring your portfolio with you)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 21, 2015 16:51 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

As has been pointed out, talk to the HR manager and explain your ability and passion for photography and have some 'good' examples of work ready on a flash drive...

Without knowing what the job entails, it's hard to know anything else...

As to formal training/education and qualifications in photography, they are never anywhere near as important as ability! Unfortunately, in business, most people (with little to no ability or experience in photography) are unlikely to understand this as they are used to judging a person's ability by their education/experience background.

I have exactly ZERO qualifications in photography or professional writing, but I managed to become a leading contributor to a local automotive mag by delivering what they wanted. It even got me into the editor's chair eventually...

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,370 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (2 edits in all)

Jun 22, 2015 01:31 |  #8

STIC wrote in post #17605672 (external link)
As has been pointed out, talk to the HR manager and explain your ability and passion for photography and have some 'good' examples of work ready on a flash drive...

No printed ! it's more impressive in a real portfolio/real book
Plus the colors can change on the HR's computer depending the quality/no-calibration of her/his screen, example > B&W can become very greenish with way too much contrast = bad mojo
Print your portfolio ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 22, 2015 02:17 |  #9

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17606040 (external link)
No printed ! it's more impressive in a real portfolio/real book
Plus the colors can change on the HR's computer depending the quality/no-calibration of her/his screen, example > B&W can become very greenish with way too much contrast = bad mojo
Print your portfolio ;)

I would 2nd this. get your best photos and PRINT them.

If you not to sure how to setup a portfolio then there are a number of youtube videos that can help.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,996 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 03, 2015 23:46 |  #10

I agree with printing out your photos too. Best of luck to you!

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 10, 2015 04:05 |  #11
bannedPermanently

Well judging by your flickr you certainly have experience. It doesn't need to be complicated. I think like me you just need a template to go off of. Kind of like some photographers need inspiration to get creative. I attached mine. I hope it's helpful.

I don't know if it's the best or whatever (blah blah blah) but it i something to look at and works for me and gets me jobs pretty regularly.

If you need to show work and you have an ipad maybe find a portfolio app. www.blurb.com (external link) makes nice little portfolios at a reason price and it makes it easy.

cover letters are important too.

Hope this helps! Send an email if you need more help.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

abacus022
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 10, 2015 14:01 |  #12

Human Resources Manager here. A little tip if you choose to go merp's route. Lose the "Objective." In my field we consider those a joke, if we read them at all. Usually we don't.

Think about it, again using merps' example. No offense to merp. No s**t you want to use your skills to open up further work opportunities. Don't we all? What does that really tell me? Nothing. You might just as well say "I want a job, and I think I can do it." There is no logical purpose to waste the space on an objective.

Also follow all the application requirements to a T. If they say they want a cover letter, make sure you include one. Use a professional email address, not sexydude4chicks@whatev​er.com. It can make a difference, especially if they get a ton of resumes and they have to get nitpicky to narrow down the candidates.

Good luck.

Again, no offense intened merp.

Canon EOS R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 12, 2015 01:48 |  #13

If you've been shooting for 4 years on the side, then you meet the requirement. Just say "4 years freelance experience". Then add some of those paid gigs, and a couple references from your portraits and such. That and a solid portfolio should be more than enough.

Part of freelancing also includes portfolio work, and if you want to argue semantics then technically operating the camera in any way constitutes "photography experience" ;)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 12, 2015 02:06 |  #14

Different companies have different HR procedures. Where I work HR will pre-screen applicants and only turn-over resumes that meet the education and experience requirements to the hiring manager. However, we can also (and I always do) request that all resumes be sent through and do my own screening. Although I don't hire any creative positions if I did I would place more emphasis on the portfolio than on the resume. But as far as resume's go I'd much rather see a description of the projects and challenges you've solved before and skills you possess than an inventory of degrees and jobs.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

2,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to apply for photography job with "no experience"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.