Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 21 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Hatch1921 (showing now: Hatch1921)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have9.5
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 5DS

Canon EOS 5DS, reviewed by Hatch1921

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 28, 2015 11:46 |  #31

Rittrato wrote in post #17613317 (external link)
Very informative. Thanks Hatch!!!:-)

Please keep posting these images. They are really amazing and you definitely know how to get the best out of this camera. I still remember your 135L review several years ago.

Cheers!

Thank you. The Canon 135L... still a favorite and I think everyone should have it in their bag. I still have a number of things to try with the 5Ds... all in good time I suppose. So far, very pleased with the performance.

Thanks again,
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
artyH
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 03, 2015 09:46 |  #32

Very nice photos, and the sharp is really sharp. How much enlargement do you need before you see advantages over the 5Diii, or Is it obvious at smaller print sizes? I know that the camera has a better sensor, but wonder how much of the "better" performance would be explained by the lens.
I was impressed by the camera. I just wish it were a third of the price.
It would be interesting to see a direct comparison between the two bodies and the same lens. Nonetheless, the photos are very impressive. I assumed that the main purpose of the new sensor was to allow huge enlargements.

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 05, 2015 21:55 as a reply to  @ artyH's post |  #33

I don't think it's about the enlargement difference. The amount of detail being picked up or resolved in the images is well above what the 5D3 was capable of IMO. This the 1st camera I've used where the lenses can't out resolve the sensor like we had seen in the 5D3. It's like having a new set of lenses as the camera can capture/resolve everything the lens can capture.

The images are "deep" with details is the only way to describe it.

Here is a 100% crop from a shot that the towers are about 3 1/2 miles away. Shot with the Zeiss 135mm T* + 5Ds. I don't think the 5D3 would have picked up the details...

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/267/19266550828_f41656761d_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vmw7​jQ  (external link) radio towers (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

Just some thoughts :)
Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 06, 2015 13:21 |  #34

A shot from this morning... still working on the settings to capture these little birds.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/379/19466334452_49d722d574_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vEb4​35  (external link) Feeding Time (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

5Ds + Sigma 150mm macro

Elinchrom Ranger RX/AS at full power.

I needed to angle the light differently to avoid the spill... still working on it :)
Hatch

Large image on Flickr if you follow the link...

mrniceguy715
556 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 07, 2015 19:11 |  #35

oh man, why did I click on this thread! Lovely images I am really wanting to put this in the budget.

Let me know what you think of my site please
CoreElements (external link) | Flickr (external link)|Facebook (external link)|500px (external link)|Google+ (external link)
Canon 6d | Pentax 645 | Mamiya RZ67 Pro | Canon EOS 1n | Several vintage 35mm

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 07, 2015 23:58 |  #36

mrniceguy715 wrote in post #17624084 (external link)
oh man, why did I click on this thread! Lovely images I am really wanting to put this in the budget.

Thank you :)

Put this in the budget... you will not be disappointed! :)

Hatch

tristanmb81
46 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 08, 2015 02:25 |  #37

It's been a while since I've been on here. After seeing all of these beautiful images I am about to bite the bullet and purchase a 5dsr and a Zeiss 135. You guys are really bad and very influential. Hehehe

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 08, 2015 07:46 |  #38

tristanmb81 wrote in post #17624426 (external link)
It's been a while since I've been on here. After seeing all of these beautiful images I am about to bite the bullet and purchase a 5dsr and a Zeiss 135. You guys are really bad and very influential. Hehehe

That would make for a killer combo Tristanmb81. The Zeiss for me... has set the bar for lens quality / performance. :) You would not be disappointed if you purchased the pair :)

Hatch

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 10, 2015 08:31 |  #39

The detail in the eyes of both the woman and cat is simply astonishing! I didn't think I would ever consider these new camera bodies but OMG I sooooo want one of them now! On the wish list... ;-)a

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 10, 2015 11:59 |  #40

Savethemoment wrote in post #17626820 (external link)
The detail in the eyes of both the woman and cat is simply astonishing! I didn't think I would ever consider these new camera bodies but OMG I sooooo want one of them now! On the wish list... ;-)a

Honestly ... it's like having a new set of lenses as they can fully resolve to their potential. So far... I can't say enough good things...

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,428 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by David Arbogast.

Jul 10, 2015 12:21 |  #41

Speaking of lenses, one of the things I found really attractive about the 5DS is the crop modes. So with just my Otus 55 and Apo Sonnar 135 I can shoot the equivalent of a 55, 70, 85, 135, 180, 200mm lenses (I rounded). And those two lenses are so sharp that they hold up extremely well to such cropping.

I also have the 11-24, which covers me up to 38mm (equivalent POV) at 1.6 crop.

So, with just one zoom and two extraordinary primes I can effectively cover an 11-200mm range. I hope to add a Sigma 150-600mm, which would extend the coverage to an equivalent 11-960mm. Pretty cool!

50.6 MP can at first seem like overkill, but if you consider the usefulness of the crop modes it starts seeming a lot more beneficial. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 10, 2015 12:43 |  #42

David Arbogast wrote in post #17627044 (external link)
Speaking of lenses, one of the things I found really attractive about the 5DS is the crop modes. So with just my Otus 55 and Apo Sonnar 135 I can shoot the equivalent of a 55, 70, 85, 135, 180, 200mm lenses (I rounded). And those two lenses are so sharp that they hold up extremely well to such cropping.

I also have the 11-24, which covers me up to 38mm (equivalent POV) at 1.6 crop.

So, with just one zoom and two extraordinary primes I can effectively cover an 11-200mm range. I hope
to add a Sigma 150-600mm, which would extend the coverage to an equivalent 11-960mm. Pretty cool!

50.6 MP can at first seem like overkill, but if you consider the usefulness of the crop modes it starts seeming a lot more beneficial. :)

Very good points David. I was shooting with the crop modes the other day... useful for sure!

Hatch

ECC233
Goldmember
4,026 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 11, 2015 22:43 as a reply to  @ Hatch1921's post |  #43

Hatch, I have to agree with you that the 5DSR is much more versatile than those who say it is a studio only camera would have us believe. After two weeks with it I traded in my 1DX and 5D3 for a second 5DSR body. For what I do it is near perfect - macro, landscape and nature.

I don't want to post here and hijack your thread, but if a link offsite is allowed, you can see the quality for birding here

http://www.birdforum.n​et …photo/533232/li​mit/recent (external link)

A number of U.S. In other fora have found that the MPE-65 is severely diffraction limited for hardcore macro, but the 100 with tubes allows extreme cropping to give similar effective magnification.

Thanks for your work on this review

Ed

Ed
Galleries at https://bugsrus.smugmu​g.com

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 12, 2015 13:16 |  #44

ECC233 wrote in post #17628484 (external link)
Hatch, I have to agree with you that the 5DSR is much more versatile than those who say it is a studio only camera would have us believe. After two weeks with it I traded in my 1DX and 5D3 for a second 5DSR body. For what I do it is near perfect - macro, landscape and nature.

I don't want to post here and hijack your thread, but if a link offsite is allowed, you can see the quality for birding here

http://www.birdforum.n​et …photo/533232/li​mit/recent (external link)

A number of U.S. In other fora have found that the MPE-65 is severely diffraction limited for hardcore macro, but the 100 with tubes allows extreme cropping to give similar effective magnification.

Thanks for your work on this review

Ed

I think it's a shame Canon decided to market the cameras as studio, landscape, and architecture bodies. Are sports shooters going to flock to the 5 fps body... no... but... it could shoot sports and deliver outstanding images IMO. It's not a cheap camera but the extra $$$ is well justified IMO. the resolution is amazing... shooting in the different crop modes... it's like having several cameras in one. The AF is very strong and the ISO is great. I also feel my lens line is now able to shine... as they can't out resolve the sensor. All in all... I'm a fan of the 5Ds/r cameras.

Some more shots/samples. Large images attached to the links.

I picked up a used but in mint condition Canon 200mm F/2.8 and these are just some snaps from this morning. I missed the lens and had to have another one. Great chunk of glass for the price!

15 sec video clip if you follow the link...

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/498/19609092186_474570dd10_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vSMH​Wj  (external link) Short Hummingbird Clip (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/302/19450235210_07051587a8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vCKx​hW  (external link) Hummer with Canon 200mm F/2.8 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/19638230635_e238f01a6b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vVn4​Mn  (external link) Hummer with Canon 200mm F/2.8 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

Hatch

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 15, 2015 23:23 |  #45

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/428/19740869861_87158f9f0a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/w5r7​Rc  (external link) Frozen in air (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

A shot from this afternoon. I purchased 3 of the Yongnuo speedlights and the controller. I still need a lot of practice with the setup... but.. I was able to capture a few decent images. This one all but froze the hummer in air. Still enjoying the 5Ds!!!

5Ds+ Canon 200 F/2.8 + 3 Yongnuo 560 IV + YN560-TX

sponsored links

20,653 views & 13 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5DS, reviewed by Hatch1921
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.