Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 04:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Dx single-shot power consumption

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 07, 2015 10:29 |  #31

docholliday_sc001 wrote in post #17623606 (external link)
BTW, it's usually best to keep these batteries between 40-70%. Lithium's don't like to be run low. Nor do they like to be stored at 100%. .

Ah, thanks for that bit of info.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

sponsored links
N2bnfunn
690 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2015 17:41 |  #32

It to me sounds like you have a bad board or you have a bad battery connection.

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

gschlact
1,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 10, 2015 18:39 |  #33

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17627388 (external link)

To whom are you referring?

docholliday_sc001
THREAD ­ STARTER
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 11, 2015 02:20 |  #34

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17627388 (external link)

If you're talking to me, wrong. You didn't read the thread. Its a firmware issue.

gschlact
1,317 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2015 12:53 |  #35

docholliday_sc001 wrote in post #17627693 (external link)
If you're talking to me, wrong. You didn't read the thread. Its a firmware issue.

Doc-
just to confirm, even with your firmware now in a 'fixed' state, you still lose ~1-2% per day if you leave the battery in the camera and the camera off; and 0% loss if the battery is not left inside the camera? This is my behavior on my 7d ii @ 2%/day loss when left in the camera and camera is off or in sleep mode. This really stinks because the 7d v1 had zero loss when battery was in camera.)

Guy

docholliday_sc001
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by docholliday_sc001.

Jul 11, 2015 14:41 |  #36

gschlact wrote in post #17628058 (external link)
Doc-
just to confirm, even with your firmware now in a 'fixed' state, you still lose ~1-2% per day if you leave the battery in the camera and the camera off; and 0% loss if the battery is not left inside the camera? This is my behavior on my 7d ii @ 2%/day loss when left in the camera and camera is off or in sleep mode. This really stinks because the 7d v1 had zero loss when battery was in camera.)

Guy

Since I've fixed the issue, the battery goes down 1-2% per week (7 days) in sleep mode. The battery "decay" when out of camera is similar.

Another interesting thing is that while the current battery in camera (that's been there all week shows 60%), the SDK shows that the camera's internal level is 69%. There must be a 10% baseline that is show to the user as a kind of "reserve". Most lithium batteries are most stable and "happy" between 40-70% so I'm doing an extended test with the battery not fully charged and in camera to determine a better cross section of data. My isolation adapter (the battery is actually attached to a modified tap out of an old ACK-E4 that I cut up) has been recording the power consumption from the battery and it's in the low milliamps while asleep.

I've been coding a few chunks out of the Canon SDK including a segment that is reading the camera specs (I'm writing my own tether client, as all the ones out there suck balls). One of the features I'm adding is a battery monitor system so that I can test and monitor battery consumption/life via the SDK (camera internal) values. Another feature I'm adding to it will be my own way of doing MFA.

gschlact
1,317 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2015 18:05 |  #37

docholliday_sc001 wrote in post #17628128 (external link)
Since I've fixed the issue, the battery goes down 1-2% per week (7 days) in sleep mode. The battery "decay" when out of camera is similar.

Another interesting thing is that while the current battery in camera (that's been there all week shows 60%), the SDK shows that the camera's internal level is 69%. There must be a 10% baseline that is show to the user as a kind of "reserve". Most lithium batteries are most stable and "happy" between 40-70% so I'm doing an extended test with the battery not fully charged and in camera to determine a better cross section of data. My isolation adapter (the battery is actually attached to a modified tap out of an old ACK-E4 that I cut up) has been recording the power consumption from the battery and it's in the low milliamps while asleep.

I've been coding a few chunks out of the Canon SDK including a segment that is reading the camera specs (I'm writing my own tether client, as all the ones out there suck balls). One of the features I'm adding is a battery monitor system so that I can test and monitor battery consumption/life via the SDK (camera internal) values. Another feature I'm adding to it will be my own way of doing MFA.

Doc,
for your owN mfa, you might be able to use he magic Lantern auto dot tune codes as a starting point. It still naff me why Canon doest provide dot tune based auto afma as a menu item.

docholliday_sc001
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 11, 2015 21:58 |  #38

gschlact wrote in post #17628281 (external link)
Doc,
for your owN mfa, you might be able to use he magic Lantern auto dot tune codes as a starting point. It still naff me why Canon doest provide dot tune based auto afma as a menu item.

Nah, I don't like or trust other people's code. I have my own method devised to do calibrations. Plus, I don't like ML stuff. I'm glad they can't do anything with the 1-series bodies!

The SDK is a pain to get from Canon, poorly documented, and buggy as hell. I'm surprised that anybody can get a decently reliable piece of code from using it!

sponsored links

5,520 views & 0 likes for this thread
1Dx single-shot power consumption
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.