Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 12 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 18:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Uploaded in full res, do i need to redo all of my images?

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 12, 2015 18:03 |  #1

Hi guys, so I am in the process of changing my site because I don't like the layout.. in the meantime, I think I have to re upload all of the images because they are uploaded in full resolution and i think that is the main reason they are loading slow... can you take a look and let me know if you think redoing all of the photos would help?

Thank you!

http://www.charlesmpho​to.com (external link)

sponsored links
AceCo55
264 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 13, 2015 02:24 |  #2

Yep ... way too slow.
I had to watch the opening image gradually load.
Still haven't got your "Portfolio" page to open - just spinning. Ha! just got there.
As I try to move through the series I get a black empty space for a short time before the new image appears.
The other pages load fine.

I would have left long ago if I had come across it.
I know nothing about Wordpress, but in Smugmug you can upload the original, hi-res image but then in the galleries specify the largest image you want to display - so it loads much quicker.

Short story - yes you site is loading too slowly (for me anyway)
Good luck

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 13, 2015 07:13 as a reply to  @ AceCo55's post |  #3

Thanks Ace! I'll redo the images today. So really what I'm looking to do in LR is not to, say, export at 70-80% size but more importantly, reduce resolution to say 1024x768 as an example

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2015 07:17 |  #4

I have only just started with a WP blog. From looking at my first post, WP uses a single instance of the image, simply relying on the browser to do the resizing. So even when an image is used at only thumbnail size, you still have to download the full sized image. What I would do in that situation is upload a a file that is just big enough. I would actually probably use an image size around about the posting limit size for POTN; 1280 px on the long edge, and 150KB compressed. That should then give you a nicely sized image to use full sized, most common rectangular aspect ratios should then fit OK on a 1080 pixel high screen. Yet the file size is small enough to download reasonably quickly on anything other than dial up. Unless you want people to be able to download a 4K plus pixel wide image, so that they can go off and make 30"×20" prints from them. Saying that there are a lot of folks out there that would be perfectly happy with a 1280×853 pixel image printed to that size. Yes that is less than 50 PPI!

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2015 07:22 |  #5

digitalduck wrote in post #17629811 (external link)
Thanks Ace! I'll redo the images today. So really what I'm looking to do in LR is not to, say, export at 70-80% size but more importantly, reduce resolution to say 1024x768 as an example

I would set LR up as follows, 1280px Long edge. Limit file size 150KB, rather than use a fixed quality level. Personally I would also set export sharpen to screen high and the PPI to 100, as this setting is also supposed to affect the level of output sharpening applied, and that would be about right for most modern screens. When it comes to exports from LR I never use a quality setting higher than 80, even for prints, It is virtually impossible to measure the difference in quality from 100, but you get a significantly smaller compressed file size.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 13, 2015 07:22 |  #6

Yup. I usually upload no bigger than 1280 on the long side. Most clients don't need to see full res images to decide. Actually I get most of my business from my low res images because I post them to facebook so my clients can share them.

My site is actually a Blogspot site (Google recently bought them and they are now Blogger). I only recently started linking galleries to facebook from my site. I found people started sharing them and liking things. Social media is the way of the world nowadays .

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by digitalduck.

Jul 13, 2015 07:24 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #7

Thanks Alan and BlakeC so really i need to focus on both. Res and file size. I read that pro photo recommends a file size around 300-400kb so i have some work to do. :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by tim.

Jul 13, 2015 18:08 |  #8

80% is print quality. Web can get away with 30-40% a lot of the time, that helps your Google ranking too, keeping it fast. 400kb images will negatively affect your Google ranking.

If you want professional help you can contact me - Photographers Tech Support (external link). I do SEO, performance optimisation, migrations of all kinds, and pretty much anything else webby. Please don't PM me if you want professional help, contact via my website is far easier for me. A few thoughts below.

Your website gets the lowest score I've ever seen on the Google website optimisation test (external link), desktop section - 0/100 is truly awful, I didn't know it was even possible. Mobile score of 50/100 is fairly poor too, 50% of searches these days are on phones and your website could be marked "Slow Website" in Google results. Background information on SEO and performance optimisation (external link). I tend to optimise front page images individually.

Your website is also the slowest I've seen on this performance test (external link) as well - 65 seconds, compared with 3 seconds for my website. Your about page (external link) is also poor.

ProPhoto / Wordpress should be resizing your images for you, though you should upload in the maximum resolution you want to share. I personally use 800px, but 1000px is fine too. There's possibly a configuration problem, possibly it's just the way you're using it.

You also have issues around browser caching, which makes looking at other pages faster.

ProPhoto is the worst Wordpress theme I've seen for performance, and yours is the worst instance of it I've seen. There are things you can do to make it better though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 16, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #9

OK, I redid all of the images on the site and wow it makes a huge difference... next step is to redo the site completely but they load and don't look "too" bad I guess... can anyone confirm for me? Thank you for all of the tips! I don't know why I thought anyone would need to have the hig hres version on the portfolio etc.. I will save that for their private gallery so they can download etc..

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 16, 2015 09:27 |  #10

Hi Chuck :)

It looks like some (most or all) of your photos are PNG format like this:
http://charlesmphoto.c​om …ead_image1_1415​419298.png (external link)

When you export photos, I suggest using JPEG to reduce the file size even more.

For example, I downloaded that PNG which is pretty big for an image at 2.1MB then I opened it in photoshop and exported to JPEG at "high" (70%) quality and the new image size is almost 90KB. That's 4% of the original file size.

On the other hand, graphics files, especially ones with transparent backgrounds like these are fine as PNG files:
http://charlesmphoto.c​om …head_frame_1412​566960.png (external link)

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 16, 2015 09:48 as a reply to  @ John's post |  #11

Hi John, you had me worried for a second, I do still have a couple images that are in the banner slideshow at top, I forgot I have to do those as well. Png because of the transparency with the logo upper left corner.. but i do still have to re export those, I forgot... thanks! Hopefully the others look ok...

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 16, 2015 14:45 |  #12

Yep one png still huge, this one (external link).

You still have significant SEO issues around performance. Drop me a line if you need help with them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
Uploaded in full res, do i need to redo all of my images?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.