Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 13 Jul 2015 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for tripod for my height.

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 13, 2015 16:35 |  #1

I'm looking to buy a new tripod. I'm 5'4". That's 64". I guess my eye level would be 60" about. I need a tripod that can give me around that eye level, without using the center column. I was looking at the Induro AT214. But after the ball and camera, either I need to borrow my wife's heels, or stand on something. Any suggestion? Or any 5'4" shooter?

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by SkipD.

Jul 13, 2015 18:04 |  #2

johnlo wrote in post #17630375 (external link)
I'm looking to buy a new tripod. I'm 5'4". That's 64". I guess my eye level would be 60" about. I need a tripod that can give me around that eye level, without using the center column. I was looking at the Induro AT214. But after the ball and camera, either I need to borrow my wife's heels, or stand on something. Any suggestion? Or any 5'4" shooter?

Simply leave the legs a bit shorter than their maximum length.

I usually mark my tripod's legs with little scratches at about 3" intervals so that I can easily shorten all three to the same less-than-maximum length.

There will be times when you want one or two legs significantly longer than "normal" such as when working on a hill, etc.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 13, 2015 18:08 |  #3

SkipD wrote in post #17630475 (external link)
Simply leave the legs a bit shorter than their maximum length.

I usually mark my tripod's legs with little scratches at about 3" intervals so that I can easily shorten all three to the same less-than-maximum length.

There will be times when you want one or two legs significantly longer than "normal" such as when working on a hill, etc.

Exactly, if the tripod is to high i don't understand why you don't setup the legs shorter -?

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

JonKline
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 13, 2015 18:09 |  #4

Why limit yourself to shots at your height or smaller? Part of being a photographer is finding the perfect perspective, especially if it's one that other people might not usually see!

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 13, 2015 18:13 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #5

Thanks. I didn't even think of that. I like that idea a lot. Thanks

John

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 13, 2015 19:44 |  #6

You could always haul around a step stool.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 13, 2015 20:08 |  #7

ThreeHounds wrote in post #17630565 (external link)

I'm 5'2", and that sh-i-t ain't funny. ;-)a

OP, it's all relative. There's consideration for perspective on the one hand, and when you do set it up for your height, you have the added advantage of greater stability, because you have to nest the legs in an extra length. People will do bizarro stuff with tripods on slopes too, so even the lanky sort might need a lift from time to time. As a matter of fact, I think I hear more complaints about tripod height from the taller folk.

Bottom line is, I'm shorter than you, and the problem never crossed my mind.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,132 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2015 20:15 |  #8

This has always bugged me, eye height is the most boring angle you can choose for most shots.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 13, 2015 20:22 |  #9

johnlo wrote in post #17630375 (external link)

If the goal is to have the viewfinder at your eye level with the legs fully extended, but center column not extended, measure from your viewfinder to the bottom of your ball head of choice, and then go to B&H and look at the specs for tripods with maximum heights around 60-65". The detailed SPECS tab will show you the "Maximum Height w/o Column Extended". You want that number plus your measurement to come up to your eye level height.

It's impossible to make an exact recommendation without knowing what you want to use for a tripod head, what camera you have, and whether or not you have a battery grip on it.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by PineBomb.

Jul 13, 2015 20:26 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #17630593 (external link)
This has always bugged me, eye height is the most boring angle you can choose for most shots.

That's right.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by johnlo.

Jul 13, 2015 20:32 |  #11

I just purchased the at213

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2015 17:56 |  #12

ThreeHounds wrote in post #17630565 (external link)

Forget the stool. Use a chair -- there everywhere. Also consider using Liveview - the camera may be over your head, but that's OK.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 18, 2015 04:47 |  #13

My problem is the reverse of this. I have tripods which go up (sans ballhead, camera or grip) to roughly 8½ft. Obviously I don't go up that far; well not without assistance anyway. Similarly, some of them go down to about 3 to 4 inches above ground level (again, sans accoutrements). No artificial aids needed to get me down there of course but advancing years, replacement joints, et al make it all rather painful and dreadfully slow - if I'd known that old age was like this, I'd perhaps not have joined that club (good job the fees are so low for pensioners :twisted: ).

Simple solution though:-

Full control of the camera no matter what height it's at; all tremendously arthritis-friendly! Little bonus is that it's great for focus-stacking too.
Optional extras to make life even easier:-This gives the extra freedom to not be personally attached to the camera in any way at all - I can have the camera way up in the air or down at ground level while sitting in an armchair.

NOTE: You do have to make sure that the cable(s) are OTG (on the go) - ordinary ones don't work. If going for the wireless option, you also need to do a bit of research about various models and compatibility but there's a very comprehensive list of who/what/where/when/wh​y/how on the DSLR Controller site http://dslrcontroller.​com/ (external link)

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 18, 2015 07:41 as a reply to  @ Whortleberry's post |  #14

Of course my step stool comment was in jest... I'm 6'5" and have the low down issue myself. I always use my iPad with CamRanger wifi whenever I'm tripod mounted.
I have a clip that attaches the iPad to the leg when I'm at normal (or higher) positions. When I'm shooting from low angles, I mount my ball head to a low light stand and hand hold the iPad. My back is very happy.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 24, 2015 19:00 as a reply to  @ johnlo's post |  #15

Induro is good equipment,

Read the instuctions , you will not have problems.

sponsored links

4,098 views & 10 likes for this thread
Looking for tripod for my height.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.