Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 30 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DSR into the sun wedding as a spectator

this thread is locked
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Jul 13, 2015 22:38 |  #46

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17630409 (external link)
The image has the shadows lifted in LR, a large boat in the background removed in PS as well as their casted shadow on the grass.

You went to that effort yet didn't fix the horizon nor crop out the distracting jetty on the right hand side? This image really needs a better crop. Close your eyes then open them when looking at the image. Eyes go to couple then right to the jetty and off frame.

Peter

sponsored links
SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 14, 2015 05:20 |  #47

Silver-Halide wrote in post #17629803 (external link)
The Sarbenes Oxley Act is really annoying  :p

hahaha.... yes it is true..... haha

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 14, 2015 05:33 |  #48

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17615906 (external link)
was in Saskatchewan last week for a family wedding as a guest
i brought the 5DSR, a 24-70II and a 100-400II with me to shoot various stuff
there was a paid young lady pro covering the wedding and I was there to relax
the ceremony took place out at the end of a dock straight into the half setting sun
the guests, including me, were about 75 feet back on land
when i saw the setup i grabbed the 100-400 and a 600EX-rt from the RV and just prayed i could get some small amount of flash out to them
i shot 1/200, F8 (mostly) and lots of flash
if it was my gig, i would have set-up a light stand with 3 flashes each on either side of the dock - i used a similar setup a few weeks back and it worked well enough - she did the ceremony without a flash (or the pop up on the 6D which I believe she was using)

with the amount of backlighting (it was brutal), i have taken a somewhat artistic spin on the PP to try and extract something that I liked

the bride was a stunner - the formals should be very good

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/voCv​mS  (external link) sask_wedding-19 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/voB3​2J  (external link) sask_wedding-14 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/usie​SP  (external link) sask_wedding-16 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vp8P​4F  (external link) sask_wedding-17 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/us8c​dm (external link)sask_wedding-12 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

and the paid pro that day in action

https://flic.kr/p/v7yq​aE (external link)sask_wedding-15 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

It looks as though you had your ALO turned on and set to max. Colors look unnatural and exposure seems off. There's very bad magenta tint, especially on faces. I would like to attribute it to difficult lighting. Perhaps putting a color filter on your speedlight to balance it with the sunlight may have helped.

It looks like a lovely wedding. Sorry that the 5DsR did not do well here to convey the beautiful day.

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 14, 2015 07:07 |  #49

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17630751 (external link)
You went to that effort yet didn't fix the horizon nor crop out the distracting jetty on the right hand side? This image really needs a better crop. Close your eyes then open them when looking at the image. Eyes go to couple then right to the jetty and off frame.

I liked the dock (think that is what you are calling a jetty) - but here you go. Horizon didn't bother me either. Also removed the shine on his head from the overhead sun. This was a 10 minute elopement ceremony for a women very ill with cancer we did as a gift - I did not spend my regular time editing the photos.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/384/19500261729_0a943ec341_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vHaW​r8  (external link) orillia-10 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Jul 14, 2015 07:16 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #50

Surely they are some of the first things you sort when editing. They're the basics that take no time at all.

No offence but you seem to have an excuse for every bad exposure, poor composition or sloppy bit of processing. All the things that have been pointed out are the bread and butter stuff.

Peter

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 14, 2015 07:26 |  #51

This is not the CC area. Why is everyone critiquing these? Supposed to just be for visual enjoyment.
If it is meant to critique the camera performance or photos, it should be posted in a different area then. Gear Talk or CC

This forum is like high school sometimes. Take it easy people.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 14, 2015 08:29 |  #52

Stop. Stop now. Made your points... move along. Its the Internet? Remember?

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 14, 2015 19:54 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #53

Hmmm... I've seen photos critiqued in this forum before. If you are going to be a photographer, or a part of any artistic pursuit, thick skin is a requirement.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 14, 2015 23:28 |  #54

For people looking to buy the 5Ds/R, it may be good to figure out what made these photos look the way they do. Since these are examples posted, I think a bit of understanding is good.

ready ­ to ­ snap
657 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 15, 2015 06:46 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #55

I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here that the story slightly changes so you can make up excuses. As with every photographer we all have failed at some particular shots and these shots are one of the times that you have. You post on a photography forum and can't handle the critique. You say you are humored by the negative comments but your replies actually show the opposite. I think we have a case of "I must be good, look at how much I spent on my equipment". Now your post that lost all respect as a photographer was the last picture of the couple to where she has cancer. You said since it was a gift that you didn't spend much time editing it which by the lack of color correction and the huge halo around them shows. It doesn't matter if it's a paid gig or not. Every picture a photographer takes he should do the best of his capabilities to make it look great. Everbody that sees your work will judge you. They have no idea if it was a paid shoot or not. Maybe this is just my opinion but I would have tried even harder to get the pictures perfect for the poor lady with cancer. God bless her and I pray for her healing.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 15, 2015 08:06 |  #56

elrey2375 wrote in post #17631844 (external link)
Hmmm... I've seen photos critiqued in this forum before. If you are going to be a photographer, or a part of any artistic pursuit, thick skin is a requirement.

I agree. But this forum likes to keep threads in specific categories, I just wanted to point out that it is not in the CC area.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 15, 2015 10:29 |  #57

The OP showing showing the performance or lack of performance from the 5DSR in bright sun. I doubt he was looking for cc on the editing or the composition.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 15, 2015 17:33 |  #58

scorpio_e wrote in post #17632439 (external link)
The OP showing showing the performance or lack of performance from the 5DSR in bright sun. I doubt he was looking for cc on the editing or the composition.

He showed HIS performance, not the camera's.

Peter

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,397 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 15, 2015 19:07 |  #59

scorpio_e wrote in post #17632439 (external link)

The OP admits the images were heavily edited....how do the images show the performance of the 5DSr? I always take smaller images posted on the internet with a grain of salt when it comes to some kind of opinion of an camera sensor's performance. I've been impressed with some HDR images I've seen coming from an iPhone...should I then infer it has better DR capabilities then the 5DSr just based on a few photos? I'd rather hear impressions of how a camera feels or compares to another camera. Asking people to judge DR based on processed photos is opening up a can of worms: not surprised the OP is getting flack questioning exposure and WB settings.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 15, 2015 20:21 |  #60

davesrose wrote in post #17632904 (external link)
I'd rather hear impressions of how a camera feels or compares to another camera. Asking people to judge DR based on processed photos is opening up a can of worms: not surprised the OP is getting flack questioning exposure and WB settings.

I have started a number of threads about the 5DSR since I got the camera - basically because I thought people would be interested
- a thread on wedding dresses / materials and moire
- showing iso 12,800 and comparing it to the 5D3 with NR
- hitting a max # of pano pictures in LR
- comparing it to the 7D2 (showing the cancelling AA filter effect)
- shots of an old estate here in Toronto used for weddings
- this thread which has gotten lots of negative response (no problem)

Again, I really have no issue with people that want to make legit comments - go ahead - I find it helpful and interesting what people have to say - you learn a lot by listening. Some people are harsh - that is fine - even if they delete all their own previous posts and pictures and generally take a negative tone with most posts they make here on POTN - there is always something to learn.

My conclusions about the camera so far are:
- it isn't cheap - probably should be priced at the 5D3 price not more
- the buffer should have been made bigger - especially since they are charging more than the 5D3
- the added detail is amazing - it really is - you can crop to your heart's content
- you can use the added detail and NR to get better detail in the darks
- you can use NR and 12,800 iso and get a better final image than the 5D3 at 12,800 (this was a big surprise)
- I have started researching and memorizing each of my lenses aperture and FL sweet spots because when I shoot with the 5DSR I really want to know where the most can be extracted (for example, I really wasn't aware where the Canon 24-105 F4 was good and where it was not so good - I know know it is an excellent lens from 24mm to 50mm from F4 to F8 - excellent - but above that 70mm to 105mm it is rubbish in terms of extracting what the 5DSR can do)
- moire has not been a problem
- i like the fact they enabled auto ISO with EC
- one of the reasons I know a lot more about the 24-105 is that I really prefer shooting with IS lenses with this camera - and thus I think Canon should think about releasing a fast IS prime for portraits - maybe a 85 1.8 IS
- because of cropability, a fast 85 1.8 Prime might make a great indoor low light sports lens
- with PS tools like Liquify, the added pixel density really shines and allows you to do very clean work

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

17,760 views & 49 likes for this thread
5DSR into the sun wedding as a spectator
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.