Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 19:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does the 100 L macro make images pop?

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 15, 2015 15:10 |  #31

kbColorado wrote in post #17632609 (external link)
LOL ... never heard anyone on POTN say a lens is "too sharp" before .... ever :-) .

You can fix "too sharp" in post if that ever comes up in a portrait, but you simply can not go the other way.

I have, multiple times in reference to macro lenses. That and too sterile/medical.

I'm with you though. Sharper is better. You can make an image less sharp, but "sharpening" only can get you a little.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 15, 2015 17:54 |  #32

amfoto1 wrote in post #17632082 (external link)
First of all, you should try out a macro lens for your uses, before buying one.

All macro lenses will be slower focusing than your 70-200mm. This is by design... they have what's called "long throw" focus, which emphasizes precision over speed. Maybe they are fast enough for you, maybe not. Having USM and a Focus Limiter helps both the Canon 100mm macros focus faster than some other macro lenses, but they are still not speed demons. You should try before you buy, if at all possible.

I also am not a big fan of macro lenses for portraiture. They are typically too sharp, showing every little flaw of the subject (and no one is perfect except for 17 year olds after a 2 hour make-up session). I'd much rather use an 85/1.8, 100/2 or 135/2 for portrait work. They're all fast focusing, too. The 85/1.2L is a "wedding photographer's dream lens", although like the macros, it's not super fast focusing.

For the level of magnification needed for ring shots, cake details, center pieces, and other typical wedding close-ups your 24-70L should work great. If you wanted a little higher magnification out of it, just add a 12mm or 20mm macro extension tube to the 24-70mm. (The Kenko macro tube set for Canon is a great deal right now... price has come down to $109. A year ago they cost $200... And the individual Canon tubes are selling for $84 for the 12mm and $145 for the 25mm).

Not sayin' that the 100L wouldn't work fine for your purposes... you may like it. Personally I use the 100mm non-IS version a lot for macro work... but not so much for non-macro purposes.

So, I'm just pointing out some other options.

I have used my 24-70 ii and 135 for "Macro" shots of details and rings but they just dont go that close (obviously) and I dont like tubes. Im sure in some situations I will use the macro lens over the 135 like for example low light situations when using speedlights and I need a low SS to raise the ambiance. Any SS below 1\250 with the 135 and Im asking for trouble so theres a good use asides the macro capabilities.

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

Naturography
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 15, 2015 22:30 as a reply to  @ yamatama's post |  #33

I'm with you OP. I had used 24-70 2.8, 24-105 F4 and the newest 24-70 F4 IS, the macro function of the new F4 IS is really good for wedding details. I could live with it but F4 is too slow so i got rid of that and went with 100L. It allows me to shoot at much slower SS then the 135L when needed.
Good choice! You will love it.

IG@ 123naturography

PCousins
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Gallery: 894 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014

Jul 16, 2015 01:42 |  #34

Does the 100 L make images pop?

No it does not.

I do own some of the best L lenses that do make images pop, here is a photo of my lenses showing the 100L. I now own the 135L which is missing from the photo below.

I love my 100L, it enables me to get in very close to things. For example only a few weeks ago I went to the BBC Gardeners World at NEC Birmingham. I got some wonderful close-up shots of flowers/plants. I could not of done this with any of my other lenses.

Sometimes making an image pop is just not so important. This is a sharp lens and I cannot part with it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by agedbriar.

Jul 16, 2015 13:25 |  #35

I prefer the 135L for portraits, but do not hesitate to use the 100L (below, cropped), if it happens to be mounted.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,553 views & 13 likes for this thread
Does the 100 L macro make images pop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.