Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 08:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma lenses - why no E-mount?

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2015 22:48 |  #16

thenextguy wrote in post #17632772 (external link)
I'm trying to find the original interview, but I do remember one of the Sigma executives saying that the E-Mount is a difficult mount to make lenses for. (This could explain why there's so much in-camera corrections.)

That being said, they have since said they will make E-mount lenses.

http://photorumors.com …lenses-for-sony-fe-mount/ (external link)

It's difficult to make dedicated, more compact lenses that take advantage of E-mount's shorter flange distance, particularly for UWAs (you still need a retrofocus design to reduce the angle of incidence of light hitting the sensor)

It's ridiculously easy to make an ordinary SLR lens perform just as well on an E-mount, if you're not also trying to make it smaller. It essentially consists of taking off the SLR mount and replacing it with a Metabones adapter, inbuilt/permanently bolted to the lens.

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2015 22:53 |  #17

There's a huge market for non-tiny, full-featured E-mount lenses, with more and more pro users moving towards the A7 series (and likely the A9, when it comes out). Many of us want full-featured lenses, with no compromises on aperture or image quality. We didn't buy the Sony for its small size, but for its performance, and we don't choose lenses based on small size either (within reason - not too many SigZillas out there). Right now, the biggest beneficiary is probably Metabones. It wouldn't take much for Sigma to make their lenses in an E-mount version (no redesign needed) and join the party.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 25, 2015 21:47 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #18

I agree with your assessment of the lens situation as it stands.
I appreciate what Metabones has done in the way of its adapters but as others have noted adapters can easily introduce errors in planarity of the lens WTR the sensor leading to focus issues across the plane.

With lower res cameras this is not an issue but at the higher res it starts to have an impact on the IQ that we paid for.
That is why I would like to see more offerings from third party suppliers to move us away from the compromise of adapted lenses.

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2015 04:10 |  #19

markd61 wrote in post #17644420 (external link)
I agree with your assessment of the lens situation as it stands.
I appreciate what Metabones has done in the way of its adapters but as others have noted adapters can easily introduce errors in planarity of the lens WTR the sensor leading to focus issues across the plane.

With lower res cameras this is not an issue but at the higher res it starts to have an impact on the IQ that we paid for.
That is why I would like to see more offerings from third party suppliers to move us away from the compromise of adapted lenses.

Not that an adapter is any worse than a teleconverter in that regard. Probably better, because it's lighter, thinner and contains no optical elements.

In addition to making more third-party lenses in E-mount, I think there would also be a big market for Metabones, or someone else, to offer custom conversions of existing Canon or Nikon lenses - that is, instead of using an adapter, actually manufacturing lens mounts that can replace the lens mount on the back of an EF lens and turn it into a native E-mount lens, and offering the mount conversion as a service. After all, we already have conversion services to turn cameras into IR, UV or monochrome sensors, and changing the mount on a lens is trivial in comparison.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,111 views & 1 like for this thread
Sigma lenses - why no E-mount?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.