Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 17:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on buying a 5dc?

turnmybassup
94 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 15, 2015 17:13 |  #1

I'm considering buying an original 5d to use as a general all-purpose body, and I'm wondering if there is anything I should watch out for? I have heard about the shutter mirror thing a bit but don't know anything about it, and that only Canon can verify the shutter count.

I realize that it's an older body, but it is right in my upgrade budget and I prefer it to a used 7d or something like it (I think, though I could be persuaded otherwise). I own a nifty fifty and am buying an 85mm 1.8 tomorrow as far as glass, and the body I own now is a Rebel XT (though I've rented 5d2's and 5d3's when doing a legitimate shoot).

Any opinions/advice out there?

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 15, 2015 17:49 |  #2

Personally I would much rather save up for awhile longer and wait for a 6D to go on sale somewhere, unless someone I knew in person was letting an old first 5D mk I body go for a song.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,766 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 15, 2015 17:51 |  #3

Ditto to what Luckless said.

If you can find a gently used 5Dc for real cheap go for it, but realize it is getting to be a very OLD camera and service might be difficult.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 15, 2015 20:07 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Canon will not service the 5Dc after 9/30/15.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,709 posts
Gallery: 1101 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 15, 2015 20:48 |  #5

turnmybassup wrote in post #17632798 (external link)
I'm considering buying an original 5d to use as a general all-purpose body, and I'm wondering if there is anything I should watch out for? I have heard about the shutter mirror thing a bit but don't know anything about it, and that only Canon can verify the shutter count.

I realize that it's an older body, but it is right in my upgrade budget and I prefer it to a used 7d or something like it (I think, though I could be persuaded otherwise). I own a nifty fifty and am buying an 85mm 1.8 tomorrow as far as glass, and the body I own now is a Rebel XT (though I've rented 5d2's and 5d3's when doing a legitimate shoot).

Any opinions/advice out there?

Heya,

Know that it cannot be serviced anymore by the end of the year. Know it doesn't have live view. Know that an accurate shutter count is not possible (nor worth sending it in). Know it had a mirror fix issue.

The 5Dc is a wonderful camera. I still shoot mine. You can find them as low as $350 in great condition.

If I were buying a new one right now, I would try to find one in good shape, mirror fix done and confirmed, and any shutter count that is not end of life. Haggle price all you want, since it's a no-longer-serviced camera, so it cannot be repaired or anything by the end of the year.

I'll easily buy another 5Dc in the future when mine finally dies (I'm well over 200k shutter on mine). I love the look of the files.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

turnmybassup
THREAD ­ STARTER
94 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 15, 2015 21:12 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #6

I have been looking at a lot of your 5dc photos on the thread, actually, and that's part of what has been motivating me to try and get one. I really like the look of the files, and I think it would do a great job for what I am wanting, but without biting off too much price-wise. I have seen a couple of 5d2's come up relatively cheap lately, and a couple of 6d's at pretty low too, should I perhaps go after one of those instead?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,709 posts
Gallery: 1101 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 15, 2015 22:28 |  #7

turnmybassup wrote in post #17633020 (external link)
I have been looking at a lot of your 5dc photos on the thread, actually, and that's part of what has been motivating me to try and get one. I really like the look of the files, and I think it would do a great job for what I am wanting, but without biting off too much price-wise. I have seen a couple of 5d2's come up relatively cheap lately, and a couple of 6d's at pretty low too, should I perhaps go after one of those instead?

Heya,

If I were to get a used/refurb full frame from Canon at this point, for cost, I would look at the 6D the most for my purposes with full frame. I don't need or care about full frame for action, sports, wildlife, etc, I'm happy with my APS-H and APS-C's for a lot of that. Even landscape and stuff. But for portrait, I really enjoy the 5Dc and that's it's primary use 99% of the time. But I have many cameras. It's just one of the tools.

If I were to shop for one camera, and didn't have several, I would focus on being able to get as much into one as possible. The 5D3 is that camera.

But if I knew I didn't need the AF of the 5D3, I would get the 6D without hesitation.

Because I don't need the extra resolution (and I print my portraits often, 8x10, 20x30, etc, 13MP is fine!) and I don't need the ISO performance (yet, I will when my daughter is older most likely!), and I have no need for Live View / Wifi / etc, I'm fine with the 5Dc for now.

There's nothing the 5D2 offers to me, at least, that makes it attractive over the 6D at all.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ElTigreBlanco
479 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2015 02:46 |  #8

I actually was in your current position if you correct for newer bodies and lower prices! I started with an XT (I always liked to call it a 350D so it sounded like the "big boy" bodies lol) and then I moved to a 30D (probably would be 50D or maybe 60D with current market) and loved the better build and controls/size. After that I went to the 5D and LOVED it, I still do actually! The clean files, the "magic" of the classic 5D, and everything were just amazing for my style of shooting. For a long time there was nothing that really tempted me to move up, partially due to budget but mostly that no other body had much that I need and even then the 5D just has amazing quality that a lot of the newer bodies couldn't replicate. The next step for me was the 6D, which I am currently using. It was the first body to come out that had a few features I wanted and everyone said it had the closest thing to the 5Dc "magic". I will say that I am extremely happy with the 6D and I wouldn't want anything else out there right now. The 5D3 sounds awesome but I'm not really sure it has anything that I find lacking on the 6D as I don't use all the extra focus points and honestly I stopped looking into it once I got the 6D. I'm definitely a very calculated buyer and you seem to be on a budget so with having all of these bodies (plus a 1Dc at some point- fun body btw!) I would say go for the 5Dc! You said it fits your budget and you are coming from an XT so it will be a huge improvement already and then you can step up later on if you outgrow it. It is an older body but coming from an XT you aren't going back in time or anything. If you are legitimately concerned with the age and you still want full frame the 6D is your best choice IMO. Just don't put yourself in a hole over it! I still have my 5Dc (for sale on here actually) and I don't really need a backup/budget-wise I can't justify keeping it but if it doesn't sell I'll be happy to have a BA back up camera! I wouldn't worry so much about the age, 5Dc is still a great body with a bit of "magic" that even my 6D doesn't capture. If your budget isn't that tight then springing for the 6D would be a great choice also! Bottom line: from your current kit I think the 5Dc is your best choice considering you're on a budget, once your budget increases decide if you want to move up to 6D or whatever body is equivalent at that point. *Also, I'm not suggesting the 5Dc because I want to sell mine! Like I said I wouldn't mind keeping it and I'm really just still a fan of the classic.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

tristanmb81
46 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 16, 2015 03:41 |  #9

I still enjoy shooting with my 5dc and it's what I bring to our family vacations along with a mk1 24-70L. I wasn't really to concerned about having it serviced by Canon or losing its service this year when I purchased it. For the price I paid for I can't complain at all.

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 16, 2015 05:16 |  #10

If you find one that has NOT had the mirror fix done, it is a free service that includes a "clean and inspect" and gets you a shutter count (but you have to ask them BEFORE they service). I sent it in with a Canon 50mm 1.4 and they also calibrated with the body.

I too would replace, especially as I predict the prices will further drop on or after Oct 1 2015...

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

dexy101
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 16, 2015 13:04 |  #11

I just got a used one a couple weeks back for a wee play to see how it would go with my 1DIV having a full frame.

It was beat up, looking through the view finder was horrible, the screen looked horrible, no settings on the rear screen to look at and all together I was pretty annoyed I had purchased it, until I opened up the images on the MacBook, holy cow does this camera still make good images.

I decided to keep it and that cleaning it inside would be a better option to keep me happy, I've ended up breaking a tab on one of the connections and it wont turn on now, not to worried as it didn't cost a lot and ill be getting a 5DII next, just having the rear screen makes it all the more better, but don't worry the images are super from the 5DC.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

iAMB
840 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 16, 2015 13:42 |  #12

Buy it, Shoot it, Love it.

In all serious though, its still a great camera even for its age. Get amazing results for a inexpensive FF. Do not rely on the screen, its junk compared to todays standards. I use it for highlight information, etc. Batteries could be iffy if they are original since they are old. If you do not need all the bells and whistles, get this camera. If you are concerned or worried about when it will become cheaper and waiting for the next best thing, you will never have a camera....IMHO

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 16, 2015 14:13 |  #13

they're becoming dirt cheap...even if you want to save for a 6D, you could probably buy one for low $400's, and then sell it for close to that same amount if you've saved up for the 6D

it's an old camera, so it's missing all the bells and whistles, but at the end of the day the images can still easily deliver...i got one for $440 with a grip, and i use it for portraits mainly, and use my 70D for just about everything else

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 16, 2015 14:27 as a reply to  @ iAMB's post |  #14

I have no doubt that the 5Dc is able to produce excellent photos, but there is still the question of cost effectiveness. The model is at the end of its supported life span, and I've seen a handful of posts online for more than a year about various repairs and support for it already being rejected at some service centres due to an apparent lack of parts. Could you pick one up and have it work flawlessly for another decade? Sure, maybe. It could also die on you in four months and leave you with no viable way to repair it through any kind of reliable source (if at all).

So at this point the question really is just how much you can get one for. I see many of them still listed for $500 and a few even listed as high as $800 not long ago. If my choice is a camera that I can't fix if something breaks in a few months, or getting a newer camera that is still in service support by saving up for that long... Well personally I'm going to go with the newer model.

Now if someone had an old 5Dc and was willing to accept that it is a model at the end of service life and were going to let it go for $50-100, maybe even up to $200, then I would probably take them up on that kind of offer.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,826 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by DreDaze.

Jul 16, 2015 14:34 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #15

you couldn't even buy a broken 5D for much less than $200...so, at the end of the day, if it breaks, he's only out about $200...cause he can sell it on ebay for parts

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,803 views & 2 likes for this thread
Advice on buying a 5dc?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.