Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Jul 2015 (Monday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dsr vs 6D vs Sony A7 II (money no object)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 16, 2015 02:14 |  #46

I've made the switch from a 5Dmk3 to the a7 II. I will eventually get the a7R II but will wait a while for the price to drop. I had your favorite lens, the 70-200/2.8 II and sold it for the 70-200/4 FE lens for the sony system. I don't want to deal w/ adapted lenses and I have been very happy w/ the decision. It is quite a gem in my bag. The only other lens I have is the 24-70/4 FE Zies lens and I love this guy too.

On a recent trip hiking I tested out the weather sealing, not by choice but it happened. The rain was coming down and the camera and 24-70 were completely soaked and I was using the tilt screen. I was very nervous about it all. When we got back to car I towel dried everything to the best of my ability and then when we got back to the cabin I used a hair dryer on low heat to dry it out the rest of the way. No issues to date and it's now in China with me.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Aressem. (2 edits in all)

Jul 16, 2015 08:24 |  #47

DagoImaging wrote in post #17633214 (external link)
I've made the switch from a 5Dmk3 to the a7 II. I will eventually get the a7R II but will wait a while for the price to drop. I had your favorite lens, the 70-200/2.8 II and sold it for the 70-200/4 FE lens for the sony system. I don't want to deal w/ adapted lenses and I have been very happy w/ the decision. It is quite a gem in my bag. The only other lens I have is the 24-70/4 FE Zies lens and I love this guy too.

On a recent trip hiking I tested out the weather sealing, not by choice but it happened. The rain was coming down and the camera and 24-70 were completely soaked and I was using the tilt screen. I was very nervous about it all. When we got back to car I towel dried everything to the best of my ability and then when we got back to the cabin I used a hair dryer on low heat to dry it out the rest of the way. No issues to date and it's now in China with me.

Oh my god. IN THE FUTURE, do NOT use a hair dryer. lol... I almost cried when I saw you say that. That's like saying, "I gave my hamster a bath and he was cold afterwards so I warmed him up in the microwave". Ok... I'm exaggerating a bit! :P But seriously... taking something that was cold/wet and then throwing heat at it is a recipe for condensation. If you haven't already caused damage, consider yourself VERY lucky and don't do it again.

I shoot ski/snowboarding primarily and one of the most important things I had to learn the hard way was that when you're coming from a cold/moist environment, you have to slowly introduce the camera to warmer/drier environments. It's no different that hopping into your car after being rained on and watching all the windows inside your car fog up. The same happens when you bring your camera into the heated lodge after spending a couple hours on the slopes. Which is why I leave my camera and lenses inside my camera bag, individually packaged inside extra large ziplock bags with silica gel packs. I make sure not to open my camera bag when I sit down for lunch, eager to look at photos. It's just not worth the risk of having gear fog up cost you $1000's. I also recently experienced my 10-18mm STM fog up a few weeks ago during a hike. I worked up a helluva sweat with my camera around my neck and put it back into my camera bag. I nearly had a heart attack when I pulled my camera out afterwards and couldn't see through the viewfinder.

Anyways, just be careful. If your camera gets wet, just dry it off with a towel gently.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 16, 2015 10:47 |  #48

Aressem wrote in post #17633362 (external link)
Oh my god. IN THE FUTURE, do NOT use a hair dryer. lol... I almost cried when I saw you say that. That's like saying, "I gave my hamster a bath and he was cold afterwards so I warmed him up in the microwave". Ok... I'm exaggerating a bit! :P But seriously...

but that's just hamsters right? The microwave is ok for my girlfriends cat. :)

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 16, 2015 12:06 |  #49

Personally I'd stick with Canon. Using a Sony with an adapter is just not reliable long term. If I had to shoot a wedding, I don't think I could trust that setup. For landscape, it does work really well but I've had a friend of mine that had to bust out the old 5D2 because the metabones adapter stopped working in the cold in Patagonia, and that's not the first person to have issues. Sony/Nikon do have a better sensor at the moment, but most would agree Canon has better lenses and are more readily available. I'm not stoked with Canon's sensor technology either, but I'd take the 5DSR. I've processed RAW files from the 5DSR as well and my old laptop even handled them just fine. The details in the images are just incredible and while everyone talks smack about Megapixels, the files are just so nice! I just built a PC though with an i7 and 32GB RAM because I know which way this is heading!

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 16, 2015 12:20 |  #50

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #17633559 (external link)
Personally I'd stick with Canon. Using a Sony with an adapter is just not reliable long term. If I had to shoot a wedding, I don't think I could trust that setup. For landscape, it does work really well but I've had a friend of mine that had to bust out the old 5D2 because the metabones adapter stopped working in the cold in Patagonia, and that's not the first person to have issues. Sony/Nikon do have a better sensor at the moment, but most would agree Canon has better lenses and are more readily available. I'm not stoked with Canon's sensor technology either, but I'd take the 5DSR. I've processed RAW files from the 5DSR as well and my old laptop even handled them just fine. The details in the images are just incredible and while everyone talks smack about Megapixels, the files are just so nice! I just built a PC though with an i7 and 32GB RAM because I know which way this is heading!

Well said. I just checked out your website. Namely though, the Hawaii photos because I am in love with Maui. Wowie... just awesome stuff, man! Such a tranquil place. I wish I could live there. SIGHHHH

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,631 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 16, 2015 13:28 |  #51

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #17633559 (external link)

I've shot a few weddings with the metabones adapter. Never had an issue with it.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 16, 2015 15:00 |  #52

I'm going to throw a cow patty in the punch bowl and shake up this party. If money is no object, then take a look at the Nikon D810. Nothing Canon or Sony has can touch it. Before the fanboys pile on and confuse the issue just rent one for a weekend and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I use a Kodak Brownie

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,631 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by mystik610.

Jul 16, 2015 15:28 |  #53

Jon_Doh wrote in post #17633694 (external link)
I'm going to throw a cow patty in the punch bowl and shake up this party. If money is no object, then take a look at the Nikon D810. Nothing Canon or Sony has can touch it. Before the fanboys pile on and confuse the issue just rent one for a weekend and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't say neither of them can touch the D810...

5Ds/r has the D810 beat in terms of resolution and AF. D810 has an advantage in DR and sensitivity

A7rII has the D810 beat in terms of resolution, available lenses, IBIS, and 4K video. D810 has an advantage in AF.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 16, 2015 15:30 |  #54

mystik610 wrote in post #17633718 (external link)
I wouldn't say neither of them can touch the D810...

5Ds/r has the D810 beat in terms of resolution and AF. D810 has an advantage in DR and sensitivity

A7rII has the D810 beat in terms of resolution, available lenses, IBIS, and 4K video. D810 has an advantage in AF.

...let's not forget about the EVF. I know a lot of people that have ditched their D4's and D810's for mirrorless cameras and they never stop raving about the EVF's. They've come a long, long way. Oh, and focus peaking, zebra... etc. Can you tell that I secretly really really want one too? :P

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 16, 2015 17:20 as a reply to  @ Aressem's post |  #55

Thanks so much! It is such an amazing place and I'm very blessed to call it home :) Much Aloha!

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 16, 2015 17:28 |  #56

Definitely nothing wrong with the Nikon D810......amazing body, but then you're selling all of your gear to shoot Nikon. I've processed those RAW's and they're just on another level in terms of DR. I would be very lazy shooting with it ;) A lot of people don't like how Nikon renders skin tones, but I'm sure that can be fixed with a different color profile. Some people don't like the ergonomics either, but that's also a preference. My thoughts are that Sony/Nikon may have a nice body right now, but Canon will catch up if not exceed them soon and then you'll miss Canon. I'm too invested with lenses to sell it all and start over just for a camera body

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,631 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 16, 2015 19:34 |  #57

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #17633858 (external link)
My thoughts are that Sony/Nikon may have a nice body right now, but Canon will catch up if not exceed them soon and then you'll miss Canon.

Canon's chance to catch up was the 5DS, and while its a very nice camera, it underperforms the a7rII's sensor in a number of areas: DR, sensitivity/low light performance, IBIS, 4K video. Given Canon's product life cycles, the 5DS is going to be Canon's horse in the high resolution camera for the next three years.

The 5DIV should be coming out of the pipeline soon so we have that to look forward to, but unless Canon adopts a new sensor design (and there's nothing indicating that they are at this point, given that the 7DII and 5Ds is their 'new sensor design'), I'm not personally expecting much outside of improved sensitivity/low light performance.

The backlit sensor in the a7rII is a pretty big step forward in terms of sensor design. It mitigates the typical trade-off between sensitivity and and resolution that has forced Canon to split the 5D between a high resolution offering, and a high sensitivity offering.

Speaking of Nikon, it will be interesting what the update to the D810 will be like, as its likely that it will be utilizing this sensor.

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #17633858 (external link)
I'm too invested with lenses to sell it all and start over just for a camera body

That's the beauty of the a7rII. No need to sell your Canon lenses to switch camera bodies, as the a7rII can autofocus adapted Canon lenses quickly and reliably.

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 16, 2015 19:46 |  #58

Aressem wrote in post #17633362 (external link)
Oh my god. IN THE FUTURE, do NOT use a hair dryer. lol... I almost cried when I saw you say that. That's like saying, "I gave my hamster a bath and he was cold afterwards so I warmed him up in the microwave". Ok... I'm exaggerating a bit! :P But seriously... taking something that was cold/wet and then throwing heat at it is a recipe for condensation. If you haven't already caused damage, consider yourself VERY lucky and don't do it again.

I shoot ski/snowboarding primarily and one of the most important things I had to learn the hard way was that when you're coming from a cold/moist environment, you have to slowly introduce the camera to warmer/drier environments. It's no different that hopping into your car after being rained on and watching all the windows inside your car fog up. The same happens when you bring your camera into the heated lodge after spending a couple hours on the slopes. Which is why I leave my camera and lenses inside my camera bag, individually packaged inside extra large ziplock bags with silica gel packs. I make sure not to open my camera bag when I sit down for lunch, eager to look at photos. It's just not worth the risk of having gear fog up cost you $1000's. I also recently experienced my 10-18mm STM fog up a few weeks ago during a hike. I worked up a helluva sweat with my camera around my neck and put it back into my camera bag. I nearly had a heart attack when I pulled my camera out afterwards and couldn't see through the viewfinder.

Anyways, just be careful. If your camera gets wet, just dry it off with a towel gently.

All is well and nothing is wrong w/ the camera or lens. The hairdryer I used has temp settings and it was set low and it's not like it was right up against it, more like using a fan to move the moisture out. Been using this method for years (and years) w/ no issue at all. Your situation is different if you're out in the cold and wet. It was 80ish degrees where i was, so not cold, that would change the game a bit. The cam was dried w/ a towel leaving our site and we had a 30 minute drive back to the cabin where it sat on a dry towel. Not my first rodeo. ;) I do appreciate your concern.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 16, 2015 20:08 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #59

My thoughts are Sony should just make a body with a Canon EF mount at this point as it really seems to be their focus ;) Most people I know that shoot landscapes with Sony have at least 2 metabones adapters since they're so prone to failure in those conditions

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 16, 2015 20:31 |  #60

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #17633992 (external link)
My thoughts are Sony should just make a body with a Canon EF mount at this point as it really seems to be their focus ;) Most people I know that shoot landscapes with Sony have at least 2 metabones adapters since they're so prone to failure in those conditions

save some money, there are other adapters on the market for cheap. You can get a few viltrox ii's for the price of one metabones. They work fine.

lol @ sony making an EF mount, why box themselves in? E-mount can adapt most lenses ever made vs canon, which can do canon.... :-P

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

20,108 views & 76 likes for this thread
5Dsr vs 6D vs Sony A7 II (money no object)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.