Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 17 Jul 2015 (Friday) 03:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a telescope for planets, AND wildlife

rick458
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 17, 2015 03:20 |  #1

My wife and I like bird watching, and I am getting the itch for Astronomy.
I was thinking If I got a decent Cassagrain telescope (90-127mm range), it could work for both jobs.
Orion has some decent Mak Cassagrains in the $450-630 range.
but T rings, adapters, and Barlows would add another $100-150 to the pot.
Any advice on going this route?
BTW Camera would be Canon T3.

sponsored links
Allan.L
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 17, 2015 06:46 |  #2

Telescopes are made solely for the sky, I'm not sure how close they can focus (I don't own one). I also think you would be disappointed with having no auto focus. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in, I only have camera gear and a spotting scope for birding.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 17, 2015 08:17 |  #3

First off you do not want a Cassagrain scope for any birding . Like Allan mentioned those are for astronomy night time but not for daytime birding . Are you a real serious birder or just the occasional bird watcher ? If you just occasional then you can get a small decent Refractor for birding but even those can be expensive and they usually don't have close-up viewing . If your a serious bird watching couple you can check out this site that sells scopes for bird watching : http://featheredgeopti​cs.org/index.htm (external link) . If your just getting interested in astronomy first it can get expensive . But if your just wanting something you can use for astronomy and still use it for spotting birds I would suggest a good pair of binoculars on a tripod :
http://www.space.com/2​6021-best-binoculars.html (external link)

I have a pair of Celestron 15x70s' : http://www.celestron.c​om …nomy/astronomy-binoculars (external link)
However Celestron has multiple choices of binoculars that can be used for both birding and astronomy . My 15x70s' can be hand helt but I shake a little so a tripod works wonders and you can see the moons around Jupiter . You would be surprised what you can see with a good set of Binocs .

Niteclicks
161 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 17, 2015 09:21 |  #4

Some food for thought.
When it comes to photographing the planets it takes a lot of focal length (think f22), however the sky is full of objects that fill a 200mm on a crop . 600 works well on the smaller objects, 800 and galaxies are doable . I have a scope like you are looking at and find it less than appealing for daytime , remember you are magnifying the air also and they are not color corrected and coated like your lens, it is however great for the moon , Jupiter and seeing the rings of saturn. There are really only 3 planets and the moon that are realistic for most without very deep pockets. A newtonian at about 200mm f4 opens up the entire the universe very affordably. I would find what you want lens wise for birding and point that skyward. Samyang make a 300mm cat that is cheap if you just want something to play with.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,225 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2015 09:33 |  #5

For the astro photography, you'll also have to toss in a good solid tripod as well as one of the trackers. You might also consider one of the long lenses 100-400, 150-500 or 150-600.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

SiriusDoggy
703 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2015 11:32 |  #6

Niteclicks wrote in post #17634493 (external link)
Some food for thought.
When it comes to photographing the planets it takes a lot of focal length (think f22), however the sky

F-stop and Focal length are TWO different things.....

Canon 5D Mark II & Mark III 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-104 4L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm 5.6-6.3L, 600mm 4L, 24mm 3.5 T/S L, 16mm 2.8 Zenitar Fisheye, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T1.5 Cine set

rick458
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 17, 2015 13:12 as a reply to  @ SiriusDoggy's post |  #7

The F ratio I am looking at is 12.1, and 12.7
The Focal length would be 1300mm, and 1540mm
and the Visual magnification (with a 32mm eye peice) would be 40X, and 48X
naturally the camera image would be NOT using eye peices (unless I use a Barlow)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Celestron.

Jul 17, 2015 14:16 |  #8

Here is a C5 Spotting scope from Celestron . MY bad that I had forgotten about this particular scope but it is a great scope for birding and at the same time can be used for astronomy scoping at night . I have seen older versions of this same scope on ebay selling from $300.00-$400.00 . It's actually a very popular scope . I've never dealt with Orion scopes but I have with Celestron , I have a C8 myself . But I can say optics on Celestron scopes are great optics . You might give this strong consideration to this one . It says you can focus as close as 20-ft which is excellent for birding !

http://www.celestron.c​om …-scopes/c5-spotting-scope (external link)

http://www.celestron.c​om …adioptric-spotting-scopes (external link)

sponsored links

1,676 views & 1 like for this thread
Looking for a telescope for planets, AND wildlife
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.