Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
Thread started 28 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Real Estate Photography Help!

jbino7
113 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 28, 2015 23:16 |  #1

Hello everyone, I recently have been shooting a lot of interior shots of houses and here in vegas the window light with the sun gets very harsh. I was wondering if anyone can suggest or be willing to share there way of taking photos and having the outside exposed (trees, skies, etc) and have the inside exposed as well.

Currently I am taking 5 bracketed shots (-2,-1,0,+1,+2) usually meter a wall or something. If anyone can share or help me it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, slo you can visit my website to see some sample photos.

www.jasonalmeidaphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Jason Almeida
New Jersey / Las Vegas
Tumblr (external link)
Canon 5D mII - 24 - 105L, Canon 50mm

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 28, 2015 23:34 |  #2

You cant simplify that process by taking 2 shots, one metered for the interior wall and one metered for the outside, then stack in photoshop, layer in the window using a lyer mask.

doriondo
219 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 29, 2015 01:05 |  #3

I use two or three flashes, depending on the size of the room.

jbino7
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 29, 2015 17:12 as a reply to  @ doriondo's post |  #4

Thank you, I currently use lightroom enfuse to edit my photos, would that still work with just taking 2 shots?

Jason Almeida
New Jersey / Las Vegas
Tumblr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 29, 2015 19:36 as a reply to  @ jbino7's post |  #5

Lightroom wont allow you to do, layers you can use an adjustment brush to correct exposure in selected areas but you are limited to the dynamic range of a single photo. This is one of those tasks that photoshop was made for.

Marshmellow
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jun 30, 2015 16:57 |  #6

+1 with doriondo, use flash if you can. You might need a couple to get enough power but simply put, you need to brighten your room so that the outside doesn't become overexposed anymore.

HDR will work too, but not always. Sometimes it's too harsh and will look fake.

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2015 21:21 |  #7

Buy some flashes, they can be cheap flashes. Nikon SB-80's are like 80$. Get 4 of those, they trigger optically off of anything that strobes. Then get a powerful 500-1000watt strobe.

Hdr and manual masking of windows works, but it is super limiting and never looks real and takes a ton of time in the computer which is super boring.

Stuff

rgs
Goldmember
2,361 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 30, 2015 22:02 |  #8

First expand your bracket to 7 shots then choose the best 4 or 5 to merge in post. Second, I have used LR Enfuse for quite awhile but LR 6 has and HDR merger that is giving me better results. Third, learn to hand blend in PS - sometimes, even with EF or HDR, it's the only way to get the windows right. Finally, unless you have an exceptional outside scene, it is often better for the window to be slightly lighter. If the window views are too well balanced with the interior light, they can look more like artwork on the wall than a window and the image loses some sense of depth.

Or - get some speedlights. Expose for the outside view and use the speedlights to subtilely bring the room up to the outside exposure.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

jbino7
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 04, 2015 00:12 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #9

Thank you for everyones input, i appreciate the help. One more question - when shooting interiors what meter mode are you using?

Jason Almeida
New Jersey / Las Vegas
Tumblr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 04, 2015 01:02 as a reply to  @ jbino7's post |  #10

Manual.

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2015 21:13 as a reply to  @ jbino7's post |  #11

Spot Meter, Manual Mode.

Need to make sure that your exposures don't accidentally change if you move your tripod about the room!

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

jbino7
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 06, 2015 23:24 as a reply to  @ Luxury's post |  #12

When you are using spot meter, do you meter the window, frame your shot and begin bracketing from that exposure?

Thanks for everyones input, this is something that is tough and always changes on every shoot.

Jason Almeida
New Jersey / Las Vegas
Tumblr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 06, 2015 23:38 as a reply to  @ jbino7's post |  #13

Get a gray card to meter off of.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by markd61.

Jul 17, 2015 18:57 |  #14

Blending light from windows is a pain. I also live in the desert and have the same issues.

I use 500s strobes to over power the sun but I also take additional images of the windows for blending. I also bracket with the flash at a fixed exposure and vary my shutter speed that allows me better blend options.
Another option that I use in small rooms is to put the lights on one side and expose the image. Then flip them to the other side and blend the two to eliminate the strobes.

HDR with windows always results in bloom around the windows that is very annoying. Exacerbated by zoom lenses with lots of glass surfaces or even slightly dusty lens.

The BEST way to solve the problem is to shoot in the evening.
In Las Vegas (and in most desert cities) homes get a cool luxurious in the evening. Day shots make everyone think HOT.

I use a CamRanger to evaluate my images. It has enormously helped in seeing details that I would miss just looking at the rear screen. I shoot RAW and set my WB to 5000K in daylight balance. For evening interiors I set my WB to 2900K and gel my strobes.
Light temp at night is a challenge as there are no standard lamps at all these days. However 2900K and the ability to brush on WB corrections in LR take away a lot of work.

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 17, 2015 19:17 |  #15

if you don't have PS you could try perfect photo suite 9 from On1 or if you have a mac you could also try the new Affinity Photo app. Both offer layers, though I have not played with them, layers I do in PS. But it might be a cheaper option to go for. I also like the suggestion of going for early morning or late afternoon/evening shooting times, that seems like a great idea! If you can arrange for those times.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links

4,958 views & 0 likes for this thread
Real Estate Photography Help!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.