Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D 1 Underexposure - Again

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
9,971 posts
Gallery: 2444 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 18, 2015 22:31 |  #106

davesrose wrote in post #17636088 (external link)
LOL, sorry, but the images you've posted seem a lot more boring and dull...whether from your Canon or D7100. It's apparent you're either trolling or not serious. Good luck with finding that non-existent camera that will take good photos for you:-P

I am sorry if I sounded harsh its just a personal opinion like i experience, when i go to my own difficult lengths to take a pic of a plane and experience physical pain taking a shot, how do you think it makes me feel getting knocked back and treated like my pics are just crap.
Its my hobby and each picture records a special time in my life.

We all have different appreciation levels and what rocks your boat may not mine.

If i have taken a pic of a plane and its the first time i have been able to show the captain smile at 6 miles up, that is a Massive achievement to me, just like a plant grower taking a pic that shows a finely detailed center bloom.

P.

Finally got it right I think - Nikon D7500, Nikon 300 F4 PF, Nikon 1.4 X mk3 TC

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,397 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by davesrose.

Jul 18, 2015 22:31 |  #107

kcbrown wrote in post #17636092 (external link)
But it is exposed well, and that makes it possible to do a lot with it in postprocessing. For instance (hope davesrose doesn't mind my butcher job on his image! :lol: ):

No, don't mind:) The image looks better at it's original size, and everyone is different about how much saturation and "pop" they like. Being an illustrator as well, I like fuller tonal range (that some may see as "washed out"). I've noticed many popular trends now are heading towards more saturation and less contrast range...different strokes for different folks. I like the original as is on my calibrated system, but YMMV. The image was meant as an example of an exposure that has no clipping, and as you indicate, it can then give you limitless possibilities in post. I'm now done with this thread!:lol:

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,971 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 18, 2015 22:35 |  #108

davesrose wrote in post #17636110 (external link)
No, don't mind:) The image looks better at it's original size, and everyone is different about how much saturation and "pop" they like. Being an illustrator as well, I like fuller tonal range (that some may see as "washed out"). I've noticed many popular styles now are heading towards more saturation and less contrast range...different strokes for different folks. I like the original as is on my calibrated system, but YMMV. The image was meant as an example of an exposure that has no clipping, and as you indicate, it can then give you limitless possibilities in post. I'm now done with this thread!:lol:

Thank you for your input it is appreciated it all goes a long way believe it or not...

P.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 18, 2015 23:44 |  #109

Pagman wrote in post #17636093 (external link)
And get better results than i saw with my d7100?

Skip i want to say briefly that i do appreciate your time and effort explaining things, I am not completely thick just a bit stubborn sometimes, and i guess sometimes i am held back in the grey area between serious auto and dedicated manual when it comes to shooting cameras, I guess i still need the auto side of things just like painting a house - i love painting with a brush not a roller, but i dont want to mix the paint myself, i want that done before hand leaving me time to appreciate applying it to a wall.

Hope you can understand that my friend.

Yes, you are so invested in the faults of the camera that you fail to understand the real fault lies with you. With a small bit of effort on your part uou could fix themexposure issues and make better photos. But your stance seems like you would prefer to get wet and complain about the rain, than open an umbrella.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 19, 2015 02:14 |  #110

Pagman wrote in post #17636109 (external link)
I am sorry if I sounded harsh its just a personal opinion like i experience, when i go to my own difficult lengths to take a pic of a plane and experience physical pain taking a shot, how do you think it makes me feel getting knocked back and treated like my pics are just crap.
Its my hobby and each picture records a special time in my life.

We all have different appreciation levels and what rocks your boat may not mine.

Your making a common mistake of assuming that what you experienced while taking a photo is evident to others just from the photo. This is a reason why so many people find it hard to critique their own work. They can't differentiate between the experience of capturing the image and the image itself.

You look at your image and react to the experience you had while taking it. But that has nothing to do with the visual quality of the image. Others look at the image and have no connection to the events/emotions you experienced. All they can judge the image on is the image itself.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 19, 2015 02:18 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #111

Well said and often forgotten.

Lupo

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 19, 2015 09:42 |  #112

Use manual mode and spot metering. If it is underexposed it's your fault not the camera's. Practice a lot in order to get the correct exposure on the first click.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,971 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 19, 2015 20:44 |  #113

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17636247 (external link)
Your making a common mistake of assuming that what you experienced while taking a photo is evident to others just from the photo. This is a reason why so many people find it hard to critique their own work. They can't differentiate between the experience of capturing the image and the image itself.

You look at your image and react to the experience you had while taking it. But that has nothing to do with the visual quality of the image. Others look at the image and have no connection to the events/emotions you experienced. All they can judge the image on is the image itself.

Thank you for making some very clear comments dan and I agree not everyone can appreciate what goes into a Special moment, and doubly hard to get across the importance, my passion is aviation always has been always will, i collect tail numbers etc, so to a greater extent when i take a snap of a plane several miles up - I have a system for this, after a days shooting of airways going over my garden, i then collect the details of them from a plane radar software like FR24, I then go through my pics after writing down the tail number, if the pic is rubbish it is deleted and only clear enough pics are saved for my reference files.
If I am lucky enough to see aircraft that are slightly lower - this to me is a big bonus and as above they are logged and any better pics are saved, due to their larger size more will be kept.
If one day I am extra lucky enough to visit a decent civil airfield or airshow, then this to me would be like a Third Level producing far more keepers but again serving my reference purpose, thats the bones of my hobby its not just picture taking or photography its Far Far more:-)

P.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,971 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 19, 2015 20:52 |  #114

Azathoth wrote in post #17636470 (external link)
Use manual mode and spot metering. If it is underexposed it's your fault not the camera's. Practice a lot in order to get the correct exposure on the first click.

What would be Brilliant would be a Dual exposure sensor like the 7d having to digic 4 brains, imagine 2 separate exposure brains one for highlights and one for shadows, so you could have a spot reading for your shadows and get a reading for that separate from a reading outside the spot circle - a dual meter reading that was processed at the same time through 2 chips giving a picture where you could spot meter the small center without generating noise from the rest of the scene.

P.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2015 21:23 |  #115

Pagman wrote in post #17637121 (external link)
What would be Brilliant would be a Dual exposure sensor like the 7d having to digic 4 brains, imagine 2 separate exposure brains one for highlights and one for shadows, so you could have a spot reading for your shadows and get a reading for that separate from a reading outside the spot circle - a dual meter reading that was processed at the same time through 2 chips giving a picture where you could spot meter the small center without generating noise from the rest of the scene.

P.

What would be brilliant is you turning your analytical eye upon yourself, and fixing the problem.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,971 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 19, 2015 21:47 |  #116

gonzogolf wrote in post #17637138 (external link)
What would be brilliant is you turning your analytical eye upon yourself, and fixing the problem.

Instead of knocking what i write how about considering trying what i shoot with the same gear instead, I am not saying I am very good at Landscape snaps, or the same with people or sports, i have dabbled with landscapes - you know the situation visit a place and take a pic with the cam you have, probably not the best set up a long tele zoom at 70mm for landscapes :lol:

But back on track(i hope) I was asking a simple question that does not include bashing my camera snapping technique, I wanted to know if the 7d in general over exposed or underexposed it pics? and i found out from searching and Google'ing that Yes the 7d mk1 does preserve highlights by slightly under exposing bu 2/3 to 1 stop, this is why anyone who reads this things will keep roughly 1 stop of + EC dialed in, however - that can not be done in manual can it......

P.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2015 22:12 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #117

Anything that can be done in auto, can be done in manual im terms of metering and exposure.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 19, 2015 22:41 |  #118
bannedPermanent ban

Pagman wrote in post #17634645 (external link)
I have read in many places that 320,640 and 1250 are the cleaner ISO settings than just using the native speeds of 400,800 1600 etc.
P.

So what. Read on.

Pagman wrote in post #17634664 (external link)
I have just been doing the reading up on it and probably like yourself there are those who think 320, 640 etc are a real bonus and others believe not, I too would interesting to find out the truth behind this.
P.

The truth is that the 7D can be used quite effectively at ISO 6400, if the shooter/processor knows what (s)he is doing. Any miniscule differences between 320 and 400 are totally irrelevant to producing a quality shot.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17635062 (external link)
With a backlit bird it may be that you have to blow out the highlights in order to retain proper exposure on the bird. ETTR is not meant for this situation.

I disagree. ETTR works just fine here. But, the shooter has to expose for the bird, and at that point the sky is way past blown.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17635077 (external link)
Because you don't seem to understand what we are saying. Little dark bird in big bright sky. It fools your meter and the contrast may be more than the EC can accomplish. Especially if you are worrying about applying ETTR instead of exposing for the subject.

Bingo. Admittedly, I only read about half of this thread. I can't believe nobody has suggested (please forgive me if you have) the obvious and easy solution, which follows:

You want to shoot a BIF, or bird on wire/pole whatever. You are most certainly going to be on the 'sunny side' of the bird. Aim camera at a sunny spot on the ground. The same sun is lighting the ground as the bird. Fix exposure using Manual mode or exposure lock (*-button). Dial in some +EC (ETTFR, if you insist). Aim camera at bird. Focus. Trip shutter. You now have a properly exposed, or close to it, shot of your bird. I recommend Manual over *. That way you can chimp/adjust without having to meter off the ground again.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17637199 (external link)
Anything that can be done in auto, can be done in manual im terms of metering and exposure.

True. But the reverse is not true. There are things you can do in Manual that just don't work in Av/Tv/P. The biggest is making the camera do what you want it to do, instead of what the engineers thought you may have wanted it to do.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 19, 2015 22:49 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

Pagman wrote in post #17637121 (external link)

P.

Panasonic P&S cameras have had that ability for years. Perhaps you have too much camera. Engineering does make the basic assumption that the end-user know how to make a camera do what (s)he wants.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17637138 (external link)

Please, gonzogolf, do not hold your breath on this one. I tend to learn some things from your posts.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by kcbrown. (3 edits in all)

Jul 19, 2015 23:10 |  #120

Pagman wrote in post #17637178 (external link)
Instead of knocking what i write how about considering trying what i shoot with the same gear instead, I am not saying I am very good at Landscape snaps, or the same with people or sports, i have dabbled with landscapes - you know the situation visit a place and take a pic with the cam you have, probably not the best set up a long tele zoom at 70mm for landscapes :lol:

But back on track(i hope) I was asking a simple question that does not include bashing my camera snapping technique, I wanted to know if the 7d in general over exposed or underexposed it pics? and i found out from searching and Google'ing that Yes the 7d mk1 does preserve highlights by slightly under exposing bu 2/3 to 1 stop, this is why anyone who reads this things will keep roughly 1 stop of + EC dialed in, however - that can not be done in manual can it......

P.

It doesn't need to be done in manual. In manual, the viewfinder display shows you what exposure you'll get if you take the shot with the parameters you've set. "Exposure compensation" has no meaning in manual mode because you're directly controlling the exposure yourself.

If you set your parameters in such a way that it reads a stop above neutral, that is no different than taking the shot of exactly the same scene in an automatic mode with exposure compensation set to a stop above neutral.

You can easily test this with your gray card. First, set up your gray card in relatively even light and position yourself with your camera so that the gray card fills the frame. Next, set your camera in Av (aperture priority) mode and set exposure compensation to one stop above neutral. Then take the shot. Now, put your camera into M (manual) mode. Then, while pointing the camera at the gray card in exactly the same way you did when taking the Av shot, change the shutter speed and aperture so that the meter reads one stop above neutral. Then take the shot.

Now examine the two shots. You'll see that they are identical (or, at least, as close as one can expect if you didn't use a tripod) as regards exposure. The shutter speed and aperture combination may differ from that which was used in Av, but the exposure will be the same because the light is the same, the subject is the same, your position is the same, the metering mode is the same, and the ISO is the same.

If you haven't yet experimented with manual mode, I strongly recommend you do so.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links

32,047 views & 4 likes for this thread
7D 1 Underexposure - Again
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.