Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Jul 2015 (Saturday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need new PC

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 12, 2015 19:53 |  #31

unlimited6986 wrote in post #17629287 (external link)
Is 120gb ssd big enough for what I need? OS LIGHTROOM PS etc

Yes, easily, including cache and catalog. I'd partition it into OS and data, so you can easily create a Macrium Reflect image for easy recovery later.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
Gomar
529 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 16, 2015 18:32 |  #32

For the value an i5 is best. It's not the latest nor fastest, but you get good stuff got less than i7.
I fact, I just picked up a i3, 6gb, 500gb laptop for $330.

Oh, and why not consider an Apple for weddings instead?

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 17, 2015 01:47 |  #33

Look at ibuypower or cyberpower pc and start w/ a mid-range gaming rig they have. Adjust some of the specs to add/remove items to get to your price point. I've had a cyberpower pc in the past and it lasted quite a while.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2015 10:18 |  #34

So I just looked over my computer and I have not upgraded it. I just installed 16gb and bought a 250gb ssd. My only question is with the ssd and current hd. I want to keep the current 1tb drive in there and add the ssd for OS LR PS and Sony Vegas. The computer I have didn't come with any cd or software. But I have a windows 7 disc that my friend had. I'm transferring pictures and stuff to external drives now. I want to do a fresh install. Do I delete everything off the current HD then copy the current windows over somehow? Or should I just use the windows disc I have and copy the software from the HP site? I just want to start with a fresh PC and Fresh 1tb drive.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 19, 2015 14:19 |  #35

Most computers come with a recovery partition. You can have Windows create a DVD/USB stick to reinstall Windows cleanly, or there may be software that came with your PC. Try hitting start and typing "recovery", or "media", or "create" and see if anything comes up. It maybe "create recovery me

Alternately, sign up for Windows insider and install W10. It's better than W7, way better than W8. You have to install over W7 to get the free upgrade to full version though, though the current insider prerelease is pretty much the full version.

There these links. One (external link). Two (external link).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2015 17:19 |  #36

Ok got the recovery discs. There's 6 disc so there burning now. So once I move everything over to my external drives should I do a fresh install on the current drive. Then install the ssd and transfer everything over once I put lightroom and my other programs on?

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 19, 2015 17:30 |  #37

Take a macrium reflect free image. The install disk should be one DVD or USB drive, what are you doing with six disks - are they CDs? Floppy disks?!

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2015 17:41 |  #38

I'm burning recovery discs. Says at the start they are the discs from when you first started the computer. I'm guessing all the drives and stuff.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 19, 2015 17:58 |  #39

It's very important to use either the recovery partition or burn the full set of recovery files to CD or USB. Also, make sure you locate your Windows COA with the 25-digit key code so you can activate Windows once you reinstall.

I'm very conservative when it comes to my data and have 3 backups of all my files. I would suggest the same for you and to actually verify you can restore from your backups before making any changes.

Finally, I suggest removing your 1TB drive before attempting to install Windows and connecting your SSD to the SATA port the 1TB drive was originally connected. This way if you can't get the new install up and running you can always swap the 1TB drive back in place so you can work until you figure out a solution. Once you get Windows loaded, updated and configured you can connect the 1TB HDD to another SATA port, verify/correct your drive letters and boot drive, then format the 1TB drive and copy your data back.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2015 19:03 |  #40

Ok great thats the way im going to do it. I have all the discs burnt. I have the 6 discs for the recovery and 1 disc for the windows 7 following the instructions. Only thing that concerns me is the pictures in Lightroom. When i go in there now all the pictures i have are there. So i can go to the picture and the edits and everything are there already so if i have to make adjustments there all right there. Do i just make a copy of the catalog and move it to the external drive?

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 19, 2015 19:48 |  #41

See this video about moving Lr to a new computer:

http://tv.adobe.com …e-lr-to-another-computer/ (external link)

Don't forget things like your preferences files in c:\Users\%username%\Ap​pdata.

After you get up and running you can create folders on your 1TB HDD for your personal files and photos, then in My Computer --> Libraries, right click each of the library short-cuts and select Properties to add the new folders on the 1TB HDD and make them the default location.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 19, 2015 23:02 |  #42

Disks are cheap, never erase a disk. You have an new SSD to install the OS onto, just unplug the 1TB drive when you're doing the windows install and you'll be fine, no way you can overwrite data.

Also, like I said, run a macrium reflect free (external link) image of your disk and save it, then it's difficult to lose it ever. It's a whole disk backup, and can be mounted as a virtual disk.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 20, 2015 16:51 |  #43

The Mac vs PC question is so ten years ago. There used to be valid technical reasons why one would choose a Mac vs a PC. Now, since they both use identical hardware and suffer from the same patching and maintenance issues as Windows PC's it comes down to a matter of personal preference in terms of price, performance, user interface and support model.

Either OS will do what the OP needs. Rather than acting like a Troll, how about reading through the entire thread and then explaining why a Mac would better fit the OP's requirements, including budget?

MedicinSC
Goldmember
1,373 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by MedicinSC.

Jul 20, 2015 18:49 |  #44

unlimited6986 wrote in post #17637031 (external link)
Do i just make a copy of the catalog and move it to the external drive?

Please remember that the catalog is ONLY a database. The catalog is NOT your images. Your images are stored somewhere and the catalog references them and builds a new image, from your edits, ONLY when you export an image. Copying the catalog and moving it to another disk does not copy and move the actual images.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 25, 2015 11:43 |  #45

unlimited6986 wrote in post #17629287 (external link)
Is 120gb ssd big enough for what I need? OS LIGHTROOM PS etc

I have just done a clean install and it took 69Gb plus 17 Gb fornthe recovery partition, and asked for an overprovisioning section of 46 GB ( the performance setting for Samsung)
Note Photoshop and DPP are not even loaded yet.
So its going to be 150GB!
Personally I would definitely go for 500GB. If its your only disc or 256GB just fornthenOS and applications.
Might cost you £70 more but you will use it. IMO.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

8,115 views & 1 like for this thread
Need new PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.