Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jul 2015 (Tuesday) 03:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #543 - Depth of field

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by rpolitsr.

Jul 14, 2015 03:38 |  #1

Challenge #543 - Depth of Field
Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/543_thumbnails_chronological.jpg

Congratulations, not too many, but interesting and beautiful entries this week.
Almost all the photos have a 'main subject' in sharp focus and an interesting blurred background.
I selected the three that represent the most typical depth-of-field settings in this type of photos:
The winner, beautiful orchids enhanced with the rain/dew drops, sharp edges and a lot of blur in the background. At f5, I guess that the focus distance and the separation of the flowers from the blurred background were the most important considerations for the depth-of-field.
The second place to a subject in very sharp focus with lots of texture in the petals and a subtle blur, just enough to mark the distant background and enhance the flower. I think that setting the aperture to f4 was important for the depth-of-field limit.
The third place to the bayberry flowers. At f3.2, the shallow depth-of-field produces blur in both the foreground and background leaving only a couple flowers in focus.

Winners

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/543_thumbnails_winners.jpg

Spoco57, Find your somewhat busy 'thinking hat' and surprise us with another topic for challenge #544. Congratulations and good luck!

Regards

rafael

A photo of any interesting subject in sharp focus where you used the limits of the depth of field of your lens (shallow focus) (external link) to create pleasant blurred or out-of-focus regions surrounding your main subject.

Since the last decade of the twentieth century, photographers sometimes use the Japanese word Bokeh (external link) to describe the aesthetic character of the area that is out of focus.

Good luck

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT : 20 July 2015.

Photo Submissions
  1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.[/QUOTE]

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Trumper
959 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 14, 2015 08:36 |  #2

G1X MK11 Rhagonycha fulva [Apparently]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 15, 2015 02:33 |  #3

Wide Open f/2.8

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 15, 2015 02:40 |  #4

Bayberry in early fall

G9
ISO 80, F3.2, 1/50"

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v13/p1324721497.jpg

~ Jim

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 15, 2015 11:05 |  #5

Exotic

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Flower.jpg

G15

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 19, 2015 18:01 |  #6

Hothouse Orchid
G1X

HOSTED PHOTO

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 20, 2015 12:29 |  #7

Challenge #543 - Depth of field is now CLOSED for judging.
Thanks to all who participated.
Results as soon as possible.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 20, 2015 21:47 |  #8

Winners announced in the first post.

Your comments are welcome!

rafael

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 20, 2015 22:26 |  #9

Congratulations to Spoco, whose shot I thought was a winner as it's not easy to get white subjects just right like that - and thanks for the #2 spot, Rafael! Good subject this week that I think deserved more imagination instead of the plants we all entered.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 21, 2015 00:54 |  #10

Congrats to the winners; I would never have been able to choose, Rafael so glad it was you. My Pro1 is officially dead & I loaned Skip's out to our son for his vacation so I had to resort to the archives. Hopefully next week I can take something new.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Trumper
959 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 21, 2015 02:15 |  #11

:-) Well done everyone,great photos there .How you can judge that one,a very hard decision.I am looking forward to the next challenge now :)

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 21, 2015 02:38 |  #12

Maureen, Trumper, I asked to my son his opinion about the order of the winners and his answer was "De tín marín de do pingüe ...", a rhythmic nonsense that can be replaced in English by "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe ..." :) :)

I usually think what to say while preparing the thumbs display. That time is never enough because I have a Photoshop 'action' that works fast.

rafael

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 21, 2015 03:13 |  #13

Thanks, Rafael, for the third spot. Excellent idea for this weeks theme.
And congrats to Spoco. I too thought he had the winning shot.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 21, 2015 10:29 |  #14

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad some of you see the orchid as a winner too. Aside from the 'Eeny, meeny, miny, moe' joke, it was a difficult decision, and with a small number of entries, having more steps in the podium would be great.

rafael

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 21, 2015 11:35 |  #15

Wow, thanks! With the G1X's limitations on macro I really didn't consider that this photo might be a winner. Congrats to the podium crew and also the other photos.... I think any of them could've won.

Thanks, Rafael, for doing the honors. I appreciate the time and consideration. Fun topic, and I realized that I need to do more creatively with DOF other than attempts at flower macros.

I'll try to get this week's challenge up this afternoon.

Steve

sponsored links

4,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #543 - Depth of field
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.