Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 19 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 18:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

camera/lens belts....? Which one do you recommend?

oharing
525 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 19, 2015 18:52 |  #1

I would like to keep my lenses on my belt while I am shooting. I have found 4 belts I like.
Do you have any of these? Which one would you recommend?

- I like the wider/thicker belsts hoping that they don't hurt your back... The thin ones may hurt my back... Any thoughts?
- Also, I would like to use any pouches for the belts... Some only accept their own brand pouches which is very limiting...

1. Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt (L/XL) B&H # LOSFDTBLX MFR # LP36285

2. Lowepro S&F Light Utility Belt

3. Think Tank Photo Pro Speed Belt V2.0 (Medium / Large, Black)
4. Think Tank Photo Steroid Speed Belt V2.0 (Medium / Large, Black)

5. Think Tank Thin Skin Belt V2.0 - L-XL-XXL

Thanks!

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
I'm ­ Sasquatch
429 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 20, 2015 05:13 |  #2

I have the Lowepro S/F deluxe. The quality is great and it will work nicely with my other Lowepro stuff (lens cases etc). Unfortunately, it won't stay around my waist unless I really cinch it down hard. I suspect that's because of my build rather than the product. Basically, it's useless to me as is. Once I have anything attached, it wants to slide down to my ankles. Comical for onlookers, not fun for me. For a few years I've meant to get a vest to clip to the belt but just never got around to it.

The XL size really is big. If you are in the lower 3rd of the XL sizing, consider the next lower size.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,896 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 20, 2015 12:00 |  #3

it really depends what you're shooting and what gear you shoot with.

Lowepro Deluxe...... super comfy, even with a ton of gear. Belt has a major flaw though, the buckle cannot carry a lot of weight. This can be fixed by replacing the belt with one of those airplane seat belts, google Airplane Buckle Belt by flybuckle.... To get an idea of how much this can hold, I was on a recent hiking trip and added two loops to the belt so that I could carry my daughter uphill..... it's that strong and comfortable. You can add construction suspenders for added support or if it slips. Carry a Body + 24-70F2.8 + Body + 200/2 comfortably with this setup.

I do have an unconventional minimalistic belt, but not from any of the above. Instead, I use an HDX 2" toolbelt from homedepot. Works very well and that belt can hold a good amount of weight. The buckle is stronger than the lowepro deluxe buckle, costs 6 bux..... great belt for mirrorless or smaller setup. Body + 2.8 zoom or 2-3 primes. Sometimes, I'll carry a lightweight prime + body on strap, and heavy 70-200F2.8 zoom on the thinner belt. That's about it's limit.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 20, 2015 12:01 |  #4

This one!!!

http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/genexe/3620​326380/ (external link)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Charlie
15,896 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 20, 2015 12:23 as a reply to  @ BlakeC's post |  #5

that's funny because I use to joke about the belt being a batman utility belt, and when loaded, you become batman.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jul 20, 2015 12:47 |  #6

I just met a woman that was shooting with a Spider Pro holster system;

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&InitialSearch=​yes&sts=pi (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_System.html/pr​m/alsVwDtl (external link)

She loved it.

It's not exactly what you are looking at,. but maybe you were like me and are unaware of this kind of rig? You may want to consider this aspect of the system to add to a belt rig.

So not just Batman, but also Cowboy two gun kid!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 20, 2015 15:27 |  #7

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17637834 (external link)
I just met a woman that was shooting with a Spider Pro holster system;

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&InitialSearch=​yes&sts=pi (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_System.html/pr​m/alsVwDtl (external link)

She loved it.

It's not exactly what you are looking at,. but maybe you were like me and are unaware of this kind of rig? You may want to consider this aspect of the system to add to a belt rig.

So not just Batman, but also Cowboy two gun kid!

I've been eyeing the spider pro double for a while now! I like my black rapid double but don't like the swinging when i bend down. I was thinking of rigging up a snap to fasten them to my belt when they hang OR get the Spider pro. Waiting until i can find a place with it in stock to try it first.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 21, 2015 00:38 |  #8

Im Sasquatch wrote in post #17637404 (external link)
=I'm Sasquatch;17637404]I have the Lowepro S/F deluxe. The quality is great and it will work nicely with my other Lowepro stuff (lens cases etc). Unfortunately, it won't stay around my waist unless I really cinch it down hard. I suspect that's because of my build rather than the product. Basically, it's useless to me as is. Once I have anything attached, it wants to slide down to my ankles. Comical for onlookers, not fun for me. For a few years I've meant to get a vest to clip to the belt but just never got around to it.

The XL size really is big. If you are in the lower 3rd of the XL sizing, consider the next lower size.

Thanks so much!

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 21, 2015 00:40 |  #9

Charlie wrote in post #17637754 (external link)
it really depends what you're shooting and what gear you shoot with.

Lowepro Deluxe...... super comfy, even with a ton of gear. Belt has a major flaw though, the buckle cannot carry a lot of weight. This can be fixed by replacing the belt with one of those airplane seat belts, google Airplane Buckle Belt by flybuckle.... To get an idea of how much this can hold, I was on a recent hiking trip and added two loops to the belt so that I could carry my daughter uphill..... it's that strong and comfortable. You can add construction suspenders for added support or if it slips. Carry a Body + 24-70F2.8 + Body + 200/2 comfortably with this setup.

I do have an unconventional minimalistic belt, but not from any of the above. Instead, I use an HDX 2" toolbelt from homedepot. Works very well and that belt can hold a good amount of weight. The buckle is stronger than the lowepro deluxe buckle, costs 6 bux..... great belt for mirrorless or smaller setup. Body + 2.8 zoom or 2-3 primes. Sometimes, I'll carry a lightweight prime + body on strap, and heavy 70-200F2.8 zoom on the thinner belt. That's about it's limit.

let me look at the homedepot toolbelt. smart idea!

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 21, 2015 00:41 |  #10

i want one!!!!!0:)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,381 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 21, 2015 01:43 |  #11

I chose the ThinkTank pro speed belt, it is their middle weight belt, and a couple of the lens holders, a flash holder and a utility case. I too have the problem that when I load it up, it won't stay up so I also have the two shoulder harness and put it on when needed. It definitely spreads the weight out and makes it easier to use for long periods of time.

The quality is great. The lens bags are nice because they do not have zipper tops. They have a draw string type top. When you are using them you can leave the top loose so the lenses slip in and out easily and they are big enough so that you can leave the hood in place. Even the 70-200 case has a feature that you can make it longer when you want to so it holds the lens with he hood attached.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 21, 2015 10:43 |  #12

bpalermini wrote in post #17638597 (external link)
I chose the ThinkTank pro speed belt, it is their middle weight belt, and a couple of the lens holders, a flash holder and a utility case. I too have the problem that when I load it up, it won't stay up so I also have the two shoulder harness and put it on when needed. It definitely spreads the weight out and makes it easier to use for long periods of time.

The quality is great. The lens bags are nice because they do not have zipper tops. They have a draw string type top. When you are using them you can leave the top loose so the lenses slip in and out easily and they are big enough so that you can leave the hood in place. Even the 70-200 case has a feature that you can make it longer when you want to so it holds the lens with he hood attached.

Can you soot the whole day? Can you shoot a whole wedding with it?
Thanks!

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 21, 2015 11:39 |  #13

S&F Deluxe Technical Belt. I have this belt and switched out the clip for this. Does not slip even when loaded.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

Charlie
15,896 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 21, 2015 12:16 |  #14

homedepot belt and lowepro deluxe + flybuckle mod. My setup is slightly different nowadays, I have a lens case for the 200 that fits the body inside, and a lowepro utility to house a smaller mirrorless setup 40/1.4 and 100/2 lens along with body, no flashes. The setup is quite a bit smaller and more streamlined.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
525 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 21, 2015 12:26 |  #15

Charlie wrote in post #17639139 (external link)
homedepot belt and lowepro deluxe + flybuckle mod. My setup is slightly different nowadays, I have a lens case for the 200 that fits the body inside, and a lowepro utility to house a smaller mirrorless setup 40/1.4 and 100/2 lens along with body, no flashes. The setup is quite a bit smaller and more streamlined.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Charlie in
./showthread.php?p=176​39139&i=i46539990
forum: Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Charlie in
./showthread.php?p=176​39139&i=i246633744
forum: Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

WOW!!!

sponsored links

4,126 views & 1 like for this thread
camera/lens belts....? Which one do you recommend?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.