Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Request to Publish Received ... Help Please!

Orias
109 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 22, 2015 08:15 |  #1

Hey all,

Sorry for the strange title, I wasn't quite sure how to get the message across.

I've just received a mail asking for details/condition on how to obtain the publishing rights for one of my images that I currently have posted on Flickr. I've never had a request like this before, so I am not quite sure how to approach the subject. I've sold images directly via places like 500px in the past, but never via direct contact in this way. Apparently the image will be published in a collection intended for release in Germany and Italy at the start of 2016.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best course of action is here? Should I be asking for $$$, or is this the sort of thing where you should just be flattered by the idea and simply ask to be mentioned in the photo credits (and sent a copy of the publication)? I really have no idea how you would even price something like this!

I do have a Smugmug site, so I guess I could tell them to go there and buy it ... but because they approached me "in person", I feel like I should I should reciprocate.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Cheers

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,794 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 22, 2015 08:46 |  #2

What's the purpose of the "collection"? What Rights do you give when you sell an image on the Smugmug site? What Rights are you willing to give them to use it, & what Rights would you want to keep? And on, & on...
Why don't you read a few pages of How Much do I charge? For your consideration & see if it helps at all?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 22, 2015 12:02 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Orias, check this out, it's from one of the major stock agencies:

http://www.alamy.com/h​elp/default.asp#licenc​ing (external link)

In a nutshell: NEVER surrender the copyright, unless the cheque coming in the mail has five or more figures. If you want to continue to use/license the image to others, you'll have to issue them a 'Non-Exclusive Licence', and I'd add a few restrictions such as 'no resale to third parties' and 'no editing or modification save for cropping to match output'. Also, don't surrender your moral rights either.

Yes, you NEED TO GET PAID; can I say that louder? I don't know about you, but I've never been able to pay the rent or buy groceries with prestige points or photo credits.

And last, but not least: we photographers don't sell images, we license them.

From the Oxford Dictionary:

Sell: give or hand over (something) in exchange for money.
License: authorise the use, performance, or release of (something).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 24, 2015 11:30 |  #4

Thanks guys,

In the end I pointed them over to my 500px page where there is the option to get a license for various uses.

They actually want to use the picture in print as part of a historical publication where they send out a monthly "pack" of historical items (including reproductions of important historical documents) to subscribers in Germany and Italy. The theme for January 2016 is The Knights Templar, and I have a photo of one their early churches which they want to use in the supporting booklet that they create each month with information about the theme.

It's kind of like a historical version of "Loot Crate" if there are any geeks out there who know what that is :).

Thanks again .. I'll see how it goes!
Cheers

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

884 views & 0 likes for this thread
Request to Publish Received ... Help Please!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.