Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 23 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

South Africa: 3 weeks and 3 days = 5 lodges and 5 reserves

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 24, 2015 21:41 |  #46

Talley wrote in post #17643297 (external link)
However... other than the obvious 3rd party "issues" most have... speaking for the zoom length involved how would you of rated a Tamron/Sigma 150-600 to have performed. Did you ever feel 600mm would of worked out better?

Talley, I've never shot the Sigma or the Tamron; however, I have edited wildlife shots from the Tamron as shot by my friend on his 6D. I was pretty impressed. As I mentioned earlier, I had a 7D MkII body so if I needed more reach I used the 100-400 on it to give me distance. The only time this was really needed was for sunsets to make the sun really big through compression. I had a T/C but never used it.

Remember, my trips were all on private reserves where off road tracking was possible, so we often shot at 300mm or less. If I were confined to roads as in Kruger or Chobe, the extra reach of a 600mm would have been useful. I have a 500 f/4 and, as noted, a 1.4x T/C, but for the last few years, that's been too much lens on these private reserves. I do understand that serious birders will like that extra reach. I shoot birds, but am not really a birder of note. I just like colorful birds.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

sponsored links
joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,395 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 24, 2015 21:44 |  #47

Dude!
Those are fantastic..

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

studlyism
593 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 25, 2015 07:32 |  #48

Great pictures!! Great stories!! Am hook cant wait for more

Ron/5diii
Take a picture, It will last longer :)
flickr (external link)

roses75
709 posts
Gallery: 171 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 25, 2015 08:00 as a reply to  @ post 17643428 |  #49

Absolutely stunning shots. Thanks for sharing.

Irene

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 25, 2015 08:35 |  #50

During the first night at Kambaku, we could hear lions regularly. The next mornings game drive began with us looking for tracks. Folks, this is why YOU MUST GO TO A PRIVATE RESEERVE AT LEAST ONCE IN YOUR LIFE. Our tracker spotted lion tracks in the sand, picked up his walkie talkie radio and left us to head into the bush. Meanwhile the guide, Evan, circled around onto the various roads looking for the lions. 15 minutes later, we hear chatter on the radio. Our guide took a sharp left into the bush and proceeded to follow rough terrain for several hundred meters into the bush, where we came upon a tracker standing next to a tall tree watching 11 lions! The skill of the guides and trackers are well worth the price of admission. Just wonderful.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 25, 2015 08:40 |  #51

The weather was a little overcast and there was some wind. Our guide told us that this was great news. Lions stay more active on cool and overcast days. As you probably know, lions sleep about 18 hours a day, so finding something other than a 'flat cat' is always good. Pretty soon we saw a few yawns, which lions do to increase oxygen intake before being active, and the lions got up and started moving slowly in the direction where we had seen the buffalo the day before. We all smiled as this was beginning to get good. Once the lions got to the roadway, they paused and rested a bit more and we got more photos.

Of the 11 lions, 3 were adult females and the rest were sub-adult, juveniles, but still quite large weighing near 100 pounds each. Several has small scars and cuts near the eye and we assumed this had happened while taking down prey recently.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 25, 2015 10:15 |  #52

About this time, I'm smiling big. My clients and friends haven't been in the bush 24 hours yet and already they have been into the middle of a herd of buffalo, had a really great elephant sighting, seen a leopard on an impala kill in the night a photographed active lions. What more could there be? Okay, we're missing the rhino and wild dog, but it was a few years before I saw these, so let's let folks know they've had a better than usual start and also set expectations that this cannot continue. Right?

We move on from the lions as they seemed to be setting in for a while. We photo some general game (impala, warthog, etc.) and then head toward the big buffalo herd we had seen the day before. Along the way, we stumble upon a dagga boy. Dagga boys are lone or paired cape buffalo bulls that can no longer keep up with the herd for various reasons. They are very big and still very strong. If you ask any tracker or guide, they'll quickly tell you this is the one situation they do not want to accidentally walk up upon in the bush. We are talking 1300 pounds of unpredictable mean.

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 25, 2015 10:22 |  #53

Everyone shoots lots of shots of the dagga boy. The bull then comes pretty close and urinates in their unique 'crop circle' pattern on the ground and we all laugh and hear stories of how this water pattern had left a young guide, Evan confused when he first saw this in the bush. Then I spot a Southern White Faced Scops Owl, better known as a White Faced Owl in a tree and we shoot this for a while. I'm ready to move on, but one client tells me that limbs are in his way and wants to move our vehicle (many times) to try and get a clear shot of the little bird. This goes on for 5 minutes and I'm about to suggest that if he just moves his body a bit, I think he can get the shot he wants. Then, I look back over his shoulder and what do I see but one of the lioness from the pride we have left. Her posture shows she has spotted the bull cape buffalo, is down wind and the buffalo doesn't have a clue. SUDDENLY THINGS ARE VERY INTERESTING.

One lion has no chance against a dagga boy, but I know there are 3 adult female lions and a total of 11 lions when including the sub-adults. That's enough for a take down. These generally do not happen in the daytime in the bush. I've seen one lion attack on a full grown buffalo in my 23 safari trips, so this could get amazing .... even if the buffalo wins.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

primeone
589 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 25, 2015 11:17 |  #54

One of the best things about this thread is how you're teasing us :-D

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by buddy4344. (2 edits in all)

Jul 25, 2015 14:39 |  #55

As the lions got closer to the buffalo, they also got much closer to us. In the upcoming series of images, note the lens mm on my 100-400 lens. Once several of the lions were withing 30 yards of the prey, they started using our vehicle as cover. Due to my position in the vehicle, it was easier for me to photo the lions than the buffalo so I did. Here, a second female stalks and a sub-adult male tries to hide behind a few small branches. I was quite focused on this very close young male and almost didn't notice what happened next.

btw, the next 14 images after this post are not the best compositions nor stopping of action I have ever done, but I was in the middle of hell with a guide trying to re-position us slightly out of the circle of life. Sorry, I let my shutter speed drop a bit. It's still razor sharp in my mind.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,143 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 25, 2015 15:37 as a reply to  @ buddy4344's post |  #56

Yes? :eek: Yes? :eek: Yes? :eek:

What a cliffhanger. I'm a nervous wreck!

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

scottishguy
89 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 25, 2015 19:23 |  #57

Absolutely STUNNING photographs!!!!!

That must have been an incredible trip.

I could only dream of doing this!!!

The first time I have ever said "thanks for sharing".

The kind of photographs the will really inspire me, just superb.

Very well done.

Not jealous in the slightest:lol:

http://bighugelabs.com …0/ffffff/330826​48@N00.jpg (external link)

Lyn2011
678 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 26, 2015 04:12 |  #58

Thanks for sharing and telling your story. Wonderful pics.

m52
Goldmember
1,232 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 26, 2015 06:05 |  #59

Great thread, excellent shots

Randy

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by buddy4344.

Jul 26, 2015 06:36 |  #60

I decided to change to my %D MkIII because everything was getting too close for the 7D MkII. I was photographing the young male when out of the corner of my eye, I saw that the cape buffalo had also spotted the lions and it imminently turned and charged the young male I had just been photographing.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

sponsored links

99,391 views & 387 likes for this thread
South Africa: 3 weeks and 3 days = 5 lodges and 5 reserves
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.