Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2015 (Friday) 22:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

beginner photographer

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 24, 2015 18:56 |  #31

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17643244 (external link)
I must be missing something.

If the OP can afford to buy a used, full frame 6D plus a 35, 50 and 85, why are we talking about Rebel's and 60D's?

Honest question.

I could afford to own a medium format digital and a few lenses for it, but instead own a pair of 7D cameras and spend the difference on other things. Keeping options open and discussing them are kind of a good thing in general.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jul 24, 2015 22:36 |  #32

I'm just thinking that if he wants to shoot nature, architecture, people and city scenes at night, that a full sensor camera with a basic set of primes makes sense.

You might be able to afford MF but the OP set a $1,500 limit. Besides, he'd have to be a very dedicated beginner to lug around an MF camera + lenses, even if it was something reasonably compact (for MF) like a 645.

The 7D isn't anywhere near as good as the 6D in terms of low-light. I'd rather have a 70D at that point, but that doesn't help with the lens selection.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 26, 2015 04:29 |  #33

Hrm,

I'm wondering if Charglie is gone or not.

charlie15 wrote in post #17619827 (external link)
Hey guys,
I have always been interested in becoming a photographer and while in an art gallery i was talking to a photographer that recommended this website for the question i asked him, saying "it will be better to get more than just my opinion on it." The question was "What is a good beginner camera that i will be able to keep for a long time and only have to change and upgrade the lens?" Any ideas? Preferably a camera that is not outrageously expensive:-)

I would keep it simple. You don't know what you are going to get into 6 months from now. Get a decent working body, used. Don't worry about everything just get something that works and start playing with it. Don't worry about full frame versus APS-C, or anything like that. Just get a working body. APS-C is a lot more friendly to budgets and has great image quality and low light performance these days. For starting out, I'd look for a used T3i (600D), T4i (650D), T5i (700D), 50D or 60D and call it a day. If you can find a really well care for and discounted 70D, go that route. From there, add a 10-18 STM lens for ultrawide and wide use for architecture. Add a 50 STM for the people and general nature stuff. After that, you can start shopping for things that are more specific after you figure it all out. But those two lenses will get you started and are easy to re-sell if you find you don't use them later as they're popular and good and inexpensive for what they are.

charlie15 wrote in post #17619843 (external link)
I have a little experience and am currently going to take a photography class soon. I would like to take pictures of nature, architecture, and people. I know this is super broad :-). i believe my starting budget would be no more than 1,500. I'm mostly just looking for a good camera which will last a long time and later i will end up upgrading lenses by selling or trading.

See above. Don't spend your entire $1500 budget. Start it out with a simple setup and learn what you want/need from there. Don't just buy stuff and then realize it's half what you wanted and you no longer have a budget. It will happen.

charlie15 wrote in post #17619896 (external link)
Any ideas on what lens and body to buy then?

See above.

charlie15 wrote in post #17619950 (external link)
So will this body and lens be able to take city night shots too? And what do you think about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon

Any body & lens can do a city night shot. The question is, what is the context, and what are you goals? Are you talking about shots of friends out at night? Or static images of city lights and cityscapes? Very different approach to both.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2015 12:56 |  #34

Hey Charlie,

Allot of people who are into photography and belong to a photography clubs are always selling off there entry level gear.

I bought a T3i rebel ( canon ) with the 18-55 mm kit lens .
The t4i models had been out for a while and the t5i rebels where just coming out.
My point is canon had dropped the price way down on the T3i rebels, I bought mine for 525.00 bucks
6 months later I seen t3i on sale for 399.00 with a 18-5mm kit lens .

Pretty much making a t3i body and EFs 18 -55mm kit lens value drop sharply.

You know the rebel line camera bodies and kit lenses really do a great job.....

I try to make sure I don't bang my equipment around and most people who have a passion for photography are the same way when it comes to protecting their equipment.
I have bought allot of used gear Camera bodies and some very expensive lenses.
All of these trans actions went smooth and all of them were done in this forum out or this forum's for sale section.

If you don't want to screw around and know that photography is going to be the rest of your life passion then I would look for a used 5DII and a lens that matches the focal point of the kind of photography .
When I bought my used 5D II it had less then 5.000 actuations ( like new )...
It came gripped ( battery pack that mounts on the bottom of the camera body )
PS it was a canon grip not a after market and I prefer canon batteries .
And the guy threw in a RRS L Bracket.
You should be able to get into a 5DII for around 1000,00 bucks .
Lens is a toss up, you got to start some where , I like a 17mm for landscape and product photography
For photographing my dogs and people that are like at the park or a party the EF 85mm !.8 is a wonderful lens for 300.00 bucks, and it does a pretty decent job on landscape too.

Now if you just want to get your feet wet buy a used t31 with a kit lens for 250.00 to 350.00 bucks

There is also the need or priority if you plan on doing long exposures for a tripod and ball head or Gimble.

I like Induro gear and I would never buy another manfrotto tripod with a RC2 quick connection system again..............
As said a good tripod is a must for long exposures.

If you plan on landscape photos ND filters help allot and once again you will need a good tripod . .
Very few people can do a killer photograph of land scape in the middle of the day and there is no clouds
in the sky with out ND filters

I also use Polarized filters or CPL on most of my lenses .

Wild life , LOL well if I could sneak up big horn sheep in the wild I wouldn't need a lens that cost 7500.00 bucks or way more ....
So for right now if I want to photograph a animal that is hard to sneak up on or the animal is not roaming north America I need to go to the zoo.

Welcome to photography and best of luck with the gear you decide to buy.

PS everyone that has posted suggestions are all good, every one has a personal preference .

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 28, 2015 07:37 |  #35

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17641749 (external link)
I've been using a 60D for about 4 years. I had the opportunity to shoot a T3i (see post #22) a few weeks ago. The difference between a rear-wheel and a +/- EC button takes about 1.3 seconds to get used to. I don't think it is much of an issue. That said, I do prefer the rear-wheel design.

To me the rear wheel is a HUGE difference, specially when you need speed.
Also it is a lot more fun when using it, its fast, its in your face, and when shooting video is a big plus!!!!!!
I would never go back to the T series, my friend has a SL1, if it had the rear wheel I would get it right now, its a powerful camera, believe me!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,464 views & 3 likes for this thread
beginner photographer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.