Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 28, 2015 14:51 |  #7306

Nismode wrote in post #17647032 (external link)
Thank you! Actually that light was a flash I had pointed outside the door to light up the wood. Come to think of it, I should have gridded the flash so that the spill was minimal. I tried messing with the distortion quite a bit (I'm assuming you're speaking of the distortion on the door frame on the left side of the image). I probably could have done better, but this is why critique exists, a fresh set of eyes to see!

I'm sure he would thank you for the compliment. As for the critique, which shots are you speaking of in regards to paying attention to verticals? The shots w/the kitchen island and rangetop were taken with a 12mm lens and I had corrected/cropped as much as I could without making it look super crazy.

Many times a lens profile will clean that barrel distortion right up, so give that a shot. If you're going to add flash to a tungsten light dominated scene, it needs to be gelled to match the color. Also, don't use a flash if it's not adding any value to the photo.

If you're not already, you should shoot shots like these with brackets that include with and without flash, so you can simply bring in a layer in PS without the offending flash, in this case.

Is that 12mm on FF? If so, that is just so mega-wide and will give you rampant distortion that is not really fixable in post. If you are going to tilt the photo in order to correct the verticals later, know that there is a limit to how much you can tilt the camera and expect decent results after correction. It's the equivalent of using an extreme shift on a T/S lens, which doesn't look great, so should only be used when absolutely necessary.

Not everything in an interior needs to be ultrawide, try some longer focal lengths, so the features you're looking to capture are represented more accurately.

sponsored links
tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 28, 2015 15:34 |  #7307

Need some helpful C&C and opinions. I can't determine what to do here with my workflow and shooting conditions. Just got done with a condo with nice views and am torn between using HDR or just a single flash exposure. I'm used to just doing single flash and editing in LR, but HDR has me intrigued as well. But each time I play with both types of files I almost prefer the single flash.
I like the single flash due to being really quick to post process and the results come out good. But the HDR seems useful in other situations? What do you guys think?

HDR or single flash frame? I'll post 2 threads for 2 different rooms.

HDR

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flash

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 28, 2015 15:35 |  #7308

2nd set of bedroom, flash or HDR?

HDR

HOSTED PHOTO

Flash

HOSTED PHOTO

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

lacogada
322 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by lacogada.

Jul 28, 2015 16:10 |  #7309

tytlyf wrote in post #17647759 (external link)
Need some helpful C&C and opinions.

Amateur opinion ......

Rather the 1st image of living room but would have preferred just a little brighter.

Rather the 2nd image of bedroom except for the ceiling fan shadow.

What HDR program ?

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 28, 2015 16:34 |  #7310

lacogada wrote in post #17647804 (external link)
Amateur opinion ......

Rather the 1st image of living room but would have preferred just a little brighter.

Rather the 2nd image of bedroom except for the ceiling fan shadow.

What HDR program ?

These are in LR HDR merge. The HDR are 3 exposures. (the flashed image, window pull, ambient)

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 28, 2015 22:08 |  #7311

The Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe NM. This staircase is the subject of an interesting legendary tale referenced here (external link) for the benefit of anyone who might be interested. This shot is was handheld in natural light at 1/20th and ISO 800 with 28-135. I shot it with a 30D. I really like my 7DII but, now that I am 2 bodies removed from the 30D, I continue to be amazed at just how much that camera would do. They wouldn't allow flash or tripod so I turned the ISO up expecting just a "record shot" for my wife. I think the 30D really overachieved here. Hope everyone enjoys it. Comments always welcomed and appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by rgs.

Jul 28, 2015 22:16 |  #7312

ESMcBlurM3 wrote in post #17647164 (external link)
I certainly appreciate your point. I feel that brighter images almost always show better in print for clients / real estate ads, and this particular exterior was very difficult with the ambient light and amount of shade due to the large trees on the property. My attempt was to limit the shadows throughout and make the image appear as 'even' as possible (this was done via 3-image bracketing).

Interesting. I wondered if it was intentional or just the result of HDR. I have a client who specifies a very bright image inside but never outside and I rarely shoot brackets outside. Here are a couple with deeper shadows. Both are single exposures with some extra work in post.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,459 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 28, 2015 22:26 |  #7313

rgs wrote in post #17648144 (external link)
Interesting. I wondered if it was intentional or just the result of HDR. I have a client who specifies a very bright image inside but never outside and I rarely shoot brackets outside. Here are a couple with deeper shadows. Both are single exposures with some extra work in post.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rgs in
./showthread.php?p=176​48144&i=i223892868
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rgs in
./showthread.php?p=176​48144&i=i74509258

Richard, your work is always nice. :)
On the first one I think I would have tried getting lower to make sure the leaves didn't occlude the view of the dormers, which is a nice design attribute to the house. What do you think about that? Too problematic in other ways perhaps?

The church shot is wonderful.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 28, 2015 22:42 |  #7314

David Arbogast wrote in post #17648159 (external link)
Richard, your work is always nice. :)
On the first one I think I would have tried getting lower to make sure the leaves didn't occlude the view of the dormers, which is a nice design attribute to the house. What do you think about that? Too problematic in other ways perhaps?

The church shot is wonderful.

Thanks, David. I appreciate your comment very much. I think lower would have introduced more vertical convergence than I want to handle in post. Moving closer would clear the dormers but add more WA distortion and minimize the trees. I did more formal shots of that house but I kind of wanted this one to look like more of an environmental image.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,974 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 29, 2015 06:08 |  #7315

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/19779193348_fcb6806e61_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/w8Px​5Y  (external link) Peavey Street-16 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/495/19924095358_c249154cc1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wmCc​pu  (external link) N27th-10 (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 29, 2015 21:05 |  #7316

Need some helpful C&C and opinions. I can't determine what to do here with my workflow and shooting conditions. Just got done with a condo with nice views and am torn between using HDR or just a single flash exposure. I'm used to just doing single flash and editing in LR, but HDR has me intrigued as well. But each time I play with both types of files I almost prefer the single flash.
I like the single flash due to being really quick to post process and the results come out good. But the HDR seems useful in other situations? What do you guys think?

HDR
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tytlyf in
./showthread.php?p=176​47759&i=i142342186

Flash
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=176​47759&i=i142014865

Flash pretty much always. Although for your flash image you should either use more flashes to evenly lit the interior, or use a flash+ambient for your main exposure, and use a different exposure for the window. Many of my images involve blending flash or hot light and ambient layers to get the best parts of both.

That HDR looks pretty unrealistic. I think it can be decent for exterior stuff when used subtly, but this is very pronounced. The color casts are pretty strong, the blue daylight is everywhere, and the edges where the luminance changes are very soft. This is especially evident on the edge of the porch where it meets the exterior scene. You also get unpredictable HDR artifacts such as a dark spot on the ceiling and floor, which make no sense.

You might have to tweak some techniques to get flash to work right for you, but the results are so much better than HDR when you do.

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 30, 2015 13:25 |  #7317

HDR
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=176​47759&i=i142342186

Flash
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=176​47759&i=i142014865

I'm also curious about what software you are using? The shadowing is way off and the color casts are pretty extreme. If I HAD to pick the single flash looks much better however you are always dealing with the harsh shadows when you have a single flash on camera.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 30, 2015 14:15 |  #7318

njstacker22 wrote in post #17650196 (external link)
I'm also curious about what software you are using? The shadowing is way off and the color casts are pretty extreme. If I HAD to pick the single flash looks much better however you are always dealing with the harsh shadows when you have a single flash on camera.

I agree. The worst and cheapest work I see in my market is on camera flash - followed closely by by poorly processed or in camera HDR. Single camera flash never looks natural. There are dark, harsh shadows and uneven light. Bad HDR usually has windows too bright with little attention paid to light bulb details and color shifts. And, often, the shadows are unnaturally bright. Good HDR takes work in post and good flash takes work (and time) on site. I think flash works well in smaller more rectangular rooms or rooms without furniture. For rooms with complex angles, lots of furniture, lots reflective surfaces, or just very large spaces, HDR, EF, or hand blending seems to work better unless you have the time and lights to light such a room well. I think time in post can be saved by using flash where it can be done quickly.

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 30, 2015 21:08 |  #7319

njstacker22 wrote in post #17650196 (external link)

I just use lightroom for editing and HDR merge. I use a single flash on camera and dodge/burn in LR.

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 30, 2015 21:27 |  #7320

tytlyf wrote in post #17650721 (external link)
I just use lightroom for editing and HDR merge. I use a single flash on camera and dodge/burn in LR.

First I want to say that your flash images above are quite good for a single on camera flash. That said, I prefer the HDR ones overall.

If I may be permitted some mild criticism, in the flashed image of the bedroom, one light is quite good in that little room. I would prefer it to the HDR if it were not for the shadow behind the ceiling fan. Is that a direct flash? Bouncing it off of the wall behind the camera would probably take the edge off of the shadow. I also like the window pull in the HDR better but that's just a function of SS - a faster shutter would not effect flash but would make the window print darker.

The other room is long and narrow and your flash falls off about 2/3 of the way in. It's quite obvious. You could, perhaps, feather it up a bit or maybe hide a small low power flash behind the sofa. I really think the HDR is your best here.

Hope this is all helpful.

sponsored links

2,059,803 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.