Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jul 2015 (Monday) 06:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D Focussing with wide aperture

SAPSTAR
119 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 27, 2015 06:29 |  #1

I have been using my 70D with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and could see that there is a slight issue with foucssing at f/2.8. The subject doesn't seem to be sharp compared to Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM lens. I read on the internet that many people have the same problem while using the center focus point in Canon 70D with non STM lenses at wide apertures.

Does everyone have this problem? How is everyone overcoming it? Using Live View? Using a different focus point than the center? Using Zone focussing?... etc. What would be the best way to overcome this issue as I see that Canon is not acknowledging it as a problem.

I have done some tests at 40mm f/2.8 by using a focus point just above the center and also with the center zone, but can't tell if there is any improvement compared to the Canon 40mm STM lens.

--=Bharat=--

Gear List

sponsored links
nighthawk82
138 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 27, 2015 15:30 |  #2

I don't own either of those lenses, but please note that the sharpness of the Tamron 28-75 is nowhere near as good at f/2.8 as the Canon 40mm, especially away from the center. Have a look at this comparison page for proof of this:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

So basically, don't expect much out of the 28-75.

The issue discussed on the internet is about a general focusing issue at f/2.8 or wider. The actual lens doesn't make a difference in the context of the issue. They will all focus badly. The fact that your Canon 40mm focuses perfectly means that your camera most likely does not have the issue mentioned on the internet.

Your Tamron 28-75 not giving sharp pictures might mean:
1. The lens just is NOT sharp, as seen in the above comparison.
2. You might need to Micro Focus Adjust the Tamron.

Did you get sharp pictures of the same subject using Live View with the Tamron? Conduct a few more tests using viewfinder and using Live View with both lenses in good light using a tripod and a high contrast subject to narrow the problem down.

Dennis
Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC USD

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 27, 2015 16:00 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I had a Tamron 28-75. Nice, optically adequate, small, light lens. My copy just sucked at 28mm, wide-open. At f/3.5 is was really good. I only had issues with the wide end. It was good at other focal lengths, at any aperture. Perhaps you are perceiving a bit of softness as OOF?

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

wizzells
63 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 27, 2015 20:18 |  #4

Have you tried micro focus adjustment for the lens?

My flickr (external link)

SAPSTAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 28, 2015 05:16 |  #5

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have now compared some old pictures I shot with my T1i using the same lens. With T1i, I agree that there wase some softness at f/2.8 but it seems to be a bit worse in 70D. I have not tried micro adjustments before. I will give this a try.

--=Bharat=--

Gear List

SAPSTAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 28, 2015 05:41 |  #6

Just read about microadjustments in the manual and think this will not resolve my issue. I have a problem only at f/2.8 and get sharp pictures at other f stops. Microadjustments will effect the focus at all focal lengths. I will check the results with live view. If those are better, I will stick with live view for f/2.8 and viewfinder for remaining focal lengths.

--=Bharat=--

Gear List

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 28, 2015 08:55 |  #7

SAPSTAR wrote in post #17647096 (external link)
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have now compared some old pictures I shot with my T1i using the same lens. With T1i, I agree that there wase some softness at f/2.8 but it seems to be a bit worse in 70D. I have not tried micro adjustments before. I will give this a try.

Understand that the same lens may operate slightly differently on various bodies, even on various copies of the same model camera. This problem is often more obvious with third party lenses like Tamron and Sigma. For instance, on my Canon 60D all my Canon lenses work just fine and continue to do so on my new 7D Mark II. My Sigms 18-35 f/1.8 however worked fine on my 60D but needs to be adjusted on my new 7D II, and also has focus issues on my T2i, but not on my T3i! This is all due to manufacturing tolerances between camera bodies and lenses. That's one of the main reasons why most upscale camera bodies have MFA capability in the first place. Its not just to fix lenses with back/front focus issues, but to compensate for these manufacturing tolerances between cameras and lenses.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

wizzells
63 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 28, 2015 10:24 |  #8

SAPSTAR wrote in post #17647113 (external link)
Just read about microadjustments in the manual and think this will not resolve my issue. I have a problem only at f/2.8 and get sharp pictures at other f stops. Microadjustments will effect the focus at all focal lengths. I will check the results with live view. If those are better, I will stick with live view for f/2.8 and viewfinder for remaining focal lengths.

I would definitely do the micro adjust.
It's clearly the most noticeable wide open, which is why you do the adjustment with the lens wide open.

My Canon 50mm 1.4 had significant front focus issues at 1.4 on a 70D. After doing the MFA, I'm happy with the lens again.

My flickr (external link)

SAPSTAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2015 17:36 as a reply to  @ wizzells's post |  #9

I have done microadjustments today and below are the results. All shots are taken at ISO-100, 1/250 shutter speed at f/2.8. The distance from the camera to the subject is about 3 feet.

Canon 40mm f/2.8.

IMAGE: http://i62.tinypic.com/2mqmdxi.jpg

Tamron lens set to 28mm with no micro adjustment.

IMAGE: http://i58.tinypic.com/2h68zmb.jpg

Tamron lens set to 28mm with +9 micro adjustment. (Tried lots of other adjustments, but 9 seems to be the best)

IMAGE: http://i58.tinypic.com/20a9fe9.jpg

Tamron lens set to 75mm with no micro adjustment.

IMAGE: http://i59.tinypic.com/2eyvwi8.jpg

Tamron lens set to 75mm with +10 micro adjustment.

IMAGE: http://i62.tinypic.com/wa2fyc.jpg

Tamron lens set to 75mm with +15 micro adjustment.

IMAGE: http://i60.tinypic.com/euo77b.jpg

The conclusion is that at 28mm, The microadjustment of 9 seems to provide better results, but at 75mm, any microadjustment gives the same result (I tried between -10 and +20). Thanks everyone for suggesting me to do the microadjustments.

Below is a shot of Minion's eyes closeup at 28mm with microadjustment of 9.

IMAGE: http://i59.tinypic.com/2uieiy1.jpg

Below is without microadjustments.

IMAGE: http://i58.tinypic.com/5ee61h.jpg

--=Bharat=--

Gear List

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 29, 2015 18:08 |  #10

Instead of trying various adjustments, you may want to try DotTune method described here https://m.youtube.com/​watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM (external link). It is more reliable than trying to compare shots.

Please remember that it is recommended to set up a distance of about 50 times the local length, which will be about 4 meters or 12 feet.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

SAPSTAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2015 19:15 as a reply to  @ Lbsimon's post |  #11

Thanks very much for the information. I will definitely give this a try.

--=Bharat=--

Gear List

sponsored links

3,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
70D Focussing with wide aperture
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.