Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Size octagon softbox / umbrella ok ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 29, 2015 11:44 |  #1

Hi,

I have 3 small gear questions :

1> I have a 80cm 32 inch softbox umbrella (inside metalic with diffusor cloth), my co-photographer found it a bit small.
What do you find about this size, too small, average ?

2> I also have a Westcott 152cm/60 Inch Optical White Satin umbrela with removable black cover
Problem is that I don't have a diffusor cloth of 60 inch, can you buy this on Ebay, or is this umbrella only meant as reflector without diffusor & shoot through umbrella ?

3> He used a shoot through umbrella, If I remember good the result doesn't differ much with a softbox umbrella, only the light is not lost behind in the softbox.

I know the distance to the model is also important, but mostly I take 2-3 meters with my Yognuo 600-RT so that the softbox is not in the frame.

Thanks!

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
Pennebakerphoto
24 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by Pennebakerphoto.

Jul 29, 2015 12:59 |  #2

Different tools for different jobs :)

However, if you are using that size light modifier 2-3 meters away, i.e 6-9 feet - a 32 inch softbox isn't going going to be the best choice.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,861 posts
Gallery: 2021 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Jul 29, 2015 18:22 |  #3

CanonYouCan wrote in post #17648804 (external link)
Hi,

I have 3 small gear questions :

1> I have a 80cm 32 inch softbox umbrella (inside metalic with diffusor cloth), my co-photographer found it a bit small.
What do you find about this size, too small, average ?

2> I also have a Westcott 152cm/60 Inch Optical White Satin umbrela with removable black cover
Problem is that I don't have a diffusor cloth of 60 inch, can you buy this on Ebay, or is this umbrella only meant as reflector without diffusor & shoot through umbrella ?

3> He used a shoot through umbrella, If I remember good the result doesn't differ much with a softbox umbrella, only the light is not lost behind in the softbox.

I know the distance to the model is also important, but mostly I take 2-3 meters with my Yognuo 600-RT so that the softbox is not in the frame.

Thanks!

Heya,

Depends on the look you want.

A 32" softbox, well, I'd be ok with it probably upwards of 36" from the subject, further than that, nope, too small, and no speedlite is powerful enough for the distance if it has an inner baffle to boot. I've tried similar, and I found the light gets harsh real fast, as you back it up too far, and you're dropping the light with it. Small soft boxes are good up close. Just use different rigging to position it so it's not in the frame. With 2~3 feet of space, you should be able to keep it out of the frame realistically (this is where a boom stand comes in). This applies to umbrellas too. Anything in the 24~30" size range. They're small, meant to be up close. If you use them at 3 meters away (10 feet!), they're just too far away and you end up with harsh light, instead of soft light, and you get very little wrap around.

A 60 inch umbrella would be good, if you have sufficient light behind it both as a shoot through, or as a bounce source. I'd probably not want it much further than 4~5 feet at best though. Again, I'd try to get it closer. 10 feet is still very far away for this, especially for a speedlite. Again you have to consider the power of the light source, the size of the light modifier, and it's distance to the subject. You're working with a small powered light source, and a large light modifier, so if you put that 10 feet away, it will produce very little light on your subject and look harsh. Up close, it will be softer and have a lot more wrapping around effect. But I would want more than a speedlite behind 60". I'd probably want two speedlites, or a strobe for that.

Umbrellas, used as shoot throughs, are very effective and inexpensive and portable, so they're a staple for most everyone in some way. They work very much like a softbox at close range. They just spill a lot more light, so they're less controlled.

I use 43" shoot through umbrellas at close range (3 feet or so) for portability and for rapid setup, even outdoor, with speedlites.

I use a 24 x 24" softbox about 3 feet away, max, from the subject when I want a close range soft modifier with little to no spill, with speedlites.

I use a 48" softbox about 4~5 feet away, max, from subject when I want a bigger source for more than one person, or when I want greater wrap around at closer range and maintain a real soft light, both indoor & outdoor. I use a strobe (600Ws) in this (also portable) for the size and distance, speedlites just aren't enough (for me anyways).

If you want to have 10 feet of distance between source & subject, I'd look more at beauty dishes, rice bowls, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 31, 2015 05:46 |  #4

Thanks, so if I want shots with the model + more background I can use the 60" big Westcott umbrella at a further distance with a 600-RT flash.
There's also a system where I can put 2x 600RT in the umbrella under each other, then the power will maybe get closer to a 600W strobe.

This umbrella is white with removable black cover, if I remove the black cloth it's a white shoot through umbrella, or I can use it backwards so that the white bounces back.
Will the result be practically the same ?

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

rburgett
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 31, 2015 08:03 as a reply to  @ CanonYouCan's post |  #5

I'm afraid you would need more than 2 speedlites to equal a 600WS strobe.
Check out this (external link) article.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2015 10:10 |  #6

you'd probably need 8 speedlights to get in the neighborhood of a 600 watt second strobe.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

3,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Size octagon softbox / umbrella ok ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.