Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Jul 2015 (Friday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone sold 2x 600EX flashes for a strobe (only outdoor modelshoots)

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 31, 2015 15:49 |  #1

For the outdoor - non studio - shooters : did this improve your lightning spectacular and recommended to switch ?

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 31, 2015 21:43 |  #2

I didn't have the 600EX flashes, but I did switch from speedlights to the Godox AD360 light: http://www.amazon.com …=8-1&keywords=godox+ad360 (external link)

This light is so much easier to work with, more powerful and it recycles faster.

Gear
Website (external link)

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by CanonYouCan.

Aug 02, 2015 02:19 |  #3

It's a difficult decision, at the moment I don't really feel the 600EX-RT isn't powerfull enough.
I wonder in which situations you found the most powerfull speedlite isn't powerfull enough for outside shoots to make the decision to switch.

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

OceanRipple*
834 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 02, 2015 03:52 |  #4

My guess is that a lot of people who have recently bought a single Jinbei HD600/Rovelight have been thinking over this exact question.

If you want a wide aperture outside in high ambient conditions, there's nothing like have plenty of beans at your disposal - especially if desiring a modifier sufficient to give soft key-light shadows. Unmodified Speedlites can usually do accent, rim or hair duties . . .

I'm mulling over the same decision but probably not selling my 580ExIIs/Odins.

N2bnfunn
630 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 02, 2015 21:47 |  #5

I have the 600ex and just ordered another one, brings my total up to 3, I have paired two up on a mono pole and using the third to trigger the flash, I love them.

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

BlazingSkies
109 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 04, 2015 06:09 |  #6

Night shoots, speedlites. Sun shoots, strobe. Done

N2bnfunn
630 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 09, 2015 20:54 |  #7

I have the say the canon 600ex flashes are the best flashes I have ever used, I have 3 and I would like to get two more... WHAT A GREAT PRODUCT..

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,009 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 09, 2015 23:30 |  #8

CanonYouCan wrote in post #17653261 (external link)
It's a difficult decision, at the moment I don't really feel the 600EX-RT isn't powerfull enough.
I wonder in which situations you found the most powerfull speedlite isn't powerfull enough for outside shoots to make the decision to switch.

Heya,

Even a powerful speedlite is not that powerful compared to a strobe. Even if you get a gang of speedlites, you're not increasing the output in a linear fashion. If I recall correctly, say you have three speedlites. One has whatever power it has as output. Add a 2nd flash, and you get +1 stop of light roughly. Add a 3rd flash, and you get closer to +0.5 stops. And it just diminishes from there. That may not be precise, but I think you get the idea.

I shoot outdoors for almost all of my portraits, and I loved using speedlites for simplicity. But, we always had to shoot (Florida here) in the morning or late evening, where a speedlite's output behind a modifier was sufficient to not just be fill, but be the exposure too if we wanted. That worked fine. But it's not always convenient and during the summer, it's not dark till like 10pm, so it's just super bright all day it seems. Plus, who is ready to shoot at 7~8am outdoors? No one I shoot! Hah. Same thing at night, best time to shoot is.... most people's dinner time. Well, more issues. This is just my neck of the woods of course. But this kind of stuff is what pushed me to a portable high powered strobe.

Now I shoot any time of day I want, and can over-power the sun, drop ambient light by a few stops, and can safely take on high-noon in Florida without worrying about it.

And my strobe cost less than two 600EX's. I'm using a Rovelight 600B.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

2,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone sold 2x 600EX flashes for a strobe (only outdoor modelshoots)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.