Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 01 Aug 2015 (Saturday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Areas around Buena Vista, Co

dankin
457 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by dankin.

Aug 01, 2015 16:29 |  #1

I'll be in Buena Vista, Co for a week in September. I've been through there before but don't know the area well. Any good spots that are a must see/photograph in the general area. Including within 1-3 hours away or so? I will be there September 6th though 12th…may stay a few days after that as well. Thinking about Aspen and possibly trying to catch a sunrise at Maroon Bells.

Canon 6d, 16-35 F4 IS, 40mm Pancake, 70-200 F4 IS

sponsored links
KoalaCowboy
Goldmember
1,540 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2015 12:45 |  #2

dankin wrote in post #17652808 (external link)
I'll be in Buena Vista, Co for a week in September. I've been through there before but don't know the area well. Any good spots that are a must see/photograph in the general area. Including within 1-3 hours away or so? I will be there September 6th though 12th…may stay a few days after that as well. Thinking about Aspen and possibly trying to catch a sunrise at Maroon Bells.

What part of September? That area can have a huge amount of fall foliage to check out!!

Twin Lakes --> Independence Pass

Weston Pass

Monarch Pass

Cottonwood Pass (CO-306)

the list goes on...

- -
Pete
Gripped 5D Mk III / 24-105 / 16-35 II / 70-200 II / 600EX-RT / LEE Filters / F-Stop backpacks / Gitzo GT3542LS / RRS BH-55
USKestrel Photography (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 02, 2015 13:06 |  #3

That's probably a week too early for the best fall foliage, although some areas may have begun to turn. Although I've explored a lot of Colorado in the last 40 years, I've never been up that way exactly so I can't give much more advice than that.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by dankin.

Aug 02, 2015 13:37 |  #4

KoalaCowboy wrote in post #17653627 (external link)
What part of September? That area can have a huge amount of fall foliage to check out!!

Twin Lakes --> Independence Pass

Weston Pass

Monarch Pass

Cottonwood Pass (CO-306)

the list goes on...

Early part - 6th - 12th. I can probably stay a few days longer, as I'm driving out there. My plan is to stay a few days after the 12th to get some photography in.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 02, 2015 16:17 |  #5

You can quickly drive up to Cottonwood Pass and then hike around above treeline. On the way to Cottonwood Pass you'll pass the trailhead to Mt. Yale, you can head up that direction and then branch off to a lake part of the way up, although it's been a while, I don't remember the lake name. There is a lake hike, Kroenke, near Buena Vista, link below. On the west side of Independence Pass is another nice above treeline hike, Lost Man Lake, also below. I don't think there is much up Monarch Pass way. The Bells are nice, an iconic shot, it's been done a million times, of course that's because it is a great shot, but also nothing new.

http://www.localhikes.​com/Hikes/KroenkeLake_​0000.asp (external link)

http://hikingwalking.c​om …/lost_man/lost_​man_detail (external link)

Flickr (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 02, 2015 16:19 |  #6

I'll add one more thought - I don't think you are that far, over an hour for sure, but I don't think more than two, from Great Sand Dunes NP, that place is worth visiting.

Flickr (external link)

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2015 16:24 |  #7

Yes. I forgot about Great Sand Dunes NP. I think I'll try to make that for sure.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 09, 2015 19:44 |  #8

St Elmo is a cool old ghost town full of tiny chipmonks that will climb all over you looking for a handout (sunflower seeds work well). It is up the road about 15 miles west behind the town of Nathrop just south of Buena Vista. Leadville is north up the highway about 45 minutes and is a very nice historic down with a great mainstreet and the mining and mineral museum. Lots of old mines along the mineral belt hike/bike trail around leadville. Cottonwood pass is a great drive, we saw a moose there last fall on the drive up. Cottonwood lake rec area is nice. The area east of Buena Vista on the other side of the Arkansas River is forest service land criss crossed with dirt roads and trails, I've seen deer and elk driving around in there. Mt Princeton Hot Springs pool and resort is a few miles away and also a very nice place to relax.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 09, 2015 20:23 |  #9

^^Thanks!

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 01, 2015 17:32 |  #10

Ok so my plans have changed slightly. I'll have 4 days after I'm done with what I'm doing in Buena Vista before i have to drive back to Nashville. I'm probably going to spend the last night in Colorado Springs before heading back. I'm planing on going to Garden of the Gods the morning before I head home. So what areas would be best to spend time in for the other 3 days? My wife is interested in going to Estes Park. Would that be a good option? Seems like the drive from Buena Vista to there would be nice.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2015 00:23 as a reply to  @ dankin's post |  #11

Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park would be great. You could also hit Indian Peaks Wilderness for a day, it's just south of RMNP. Head up to Lake Isabelle.

Flickr (external link)

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 02, 2015 09:10 |  #12

patrick j wrote in post #17691982 (external link)
Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park would be great. You could also hit Indian Peaks Wilderness for a day, it's just south of RMNP. Head up to Lake Isabelle.

Thanks. So would it be a good idea to stay there for a few nights? Also are there any must see stops on the way from Buena Vista to Estes Park? What would be the best route to take from a scenic stand point?

Also would Pikes Peak be worth going to? If we do that it will probably be on the way there.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for the help. I'll be free most of the mornings up till around noon for the week I'm in BV, so I will definitely try to work in some of the earlier suggestions for that area.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2015 10:00 as a reply to  @ dankin's post |  #13

I think I would just make a beeline for RMNP, which is probably going to be taking Highway 285 to Denver and then doing one of two options, and I'm not sure which would be better. The high mountain peaks probably hit their most unattractive state in September and stay that way until whenever the snow starts falling, so that drive is probably not that great at that time (of course, you are an out of stater, things might seem different to you). So yes to the question about staying a couple of nights in Estes Park.

No thoughts on Pikes Peak. It's a tourist attraction, it's 14,000 feet high, so maybe you'd find that interesting.

Flickr (external link)

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 02, 2015 11:01 |  #14

patrick j wrote in post #17692400 (external link)
I think I would just make a beeline for RMNP, which is probably going to be taking Highway 285 to Denver and then doing one of two options, and I'm not sure which would be better. The high mountain peaks probably hit their most unattractive state in September and stay that way until whenever the snow starts falling, so that drive is probably not that great at that time (of course, you are an out of stater, things might seem different to you). So yes to the question about staying a couple of nights in Estes Park.

No thoughts on Pikes Peak. It's a tourist attraction, it's 14,000 feet high, so maybe you'd find that interesting.

Thanks for the info!

dankin
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 20, 2015 12:49 |  #15

The trip was great. It was a bummer to be there so close to the colors changing, and not be able to stay longer, but the trip other than the 3 nights spent in Estes Park was paid for due to work. So I can't complain too much:) I will definitely be going back again in late September. Hopefully next year.

sponsored links

2,740 views & 1 like for this thread
Areas around Buena Vista, Co
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.