Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time for a camera upgrade...need advice :)

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 30, 2015 16:34 |  #1

Hello everyone, so the time has come to make a significant upgrade in my equipment lineup, but I am torn between a couple options and need some advice. So, mostly I am looking replacing my 60D or adding to it, but can’t make up my mind. So far I am still just doing children, families, couples and a couple weddings. I have found that using my 70-200 is usually sufficient but I keep finding myself wanting more either from full frame or overall image quality.

While I know its not a night/day difference, I still think it’s time to make the FF jump and can’t decide between the 6D and or/5DMII/III. I know the Mark III may be overkill, I love the higher iso it allows. I know the 6D will be a good jump up from my 60D which makes it a nice choice as well. I have seen countless videos comparing the focusing system along with the focus points between the two, but for the price, it makes it tolerable.

Also, when it comes to lenses, I may need to replace my existing Sigma 17-50 OS since it won’t fit FF. Can anyone recommend a decent alternative which will still give me a comparable wide-angle focal length. I’ve done some landscape with my 17-50 but I know it’s on a crop body, so something like the 24-105 may work. OR perhaps I keep the 60D and use the Sigma on it then still get the 6D and maybe 24-105.

Thanks for the input!!

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,339 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 30, 2015 23:48 |  #2

Heya,

What's your budget?

Sounds to me like you would best be served by a 6D. It's got the better ISO performance over the 5D3, by a smidge. Canon Refurb puts it close to $1k which is a very good entry price to full frame. The 5D3 only offers the AF system, which frankly, is overkill for what you're doing. Unless you live by the outer AF points, you will likely not need it. And it's not like the other cameras have poor AF, they don't, they just don't have an aggressive AF system like the 5D3/7D/7D2/1DX all have. When I think of portraits and landscape done via one of these cameras, I'm always wondering if the idea was doing it while hanging from a ladder from a helicopter to justify the need for the AF just for that (I kid of course, it's just real overkill, but I'm sure someone can justify the absolute necessity of the 5D3's AF system to make their 85L II focus accurately with an outter point on a moving subject for candid portraiture.... bleh bleh bleh).

To maintain the wide angle you talked about, it would be a 24-70 on full frame. The 24-105 does that, if you think you're ok with F4. But if you want to maintain F2.8, the most affordable modern 24-70 with F2.8 and stabilization is going to come from Tamron with the 24-70 F2.8 VC. If you're ok with F4, then the 24-105 or even the 24-70 F4L IS are inexpensive and good glass, just not fast aperture.

The other option would be to consider a wide angle prime lens, like a 35mm (35 F2 IS perhaps).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 31, 2015 08:17 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with everything Malveaux says. I'd like to add a few things.

I added a 6D to my collection after using a 60D for about 3-4 years. The similarity in controls makes the transition very easy. If you keep the 60D, going back and forth between bodies will be quite simple. Being a bit feeble-minded (as my wife keeps telling me!), I like not having to think about which camera I am holding.

I believe you will end up keeping the 60D. The used market has tanked lately. I am not willing to sell mine for the prices folks are willing to pay. It is still the nice camera it was when I bought.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Padre
29 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 31, 2015 08:29 |  #4

If you plan to continue doing weddings you are going to want a 2.8 lens...or faster primes.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,172 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Scott M.

Jul 31, 2015 08:43 |  #5

The nice thing about the 5D3 over the 6D is the added versatility of the better AF system. While I shoot mostly landscapes and stills with the 5D3, I will occasionally shoot sports or wildlife with it, so it's nice to have that option. However, if you are never going to shoot those things, then you would be paying for versatility that you will never use. In that case, the 6D would be the more sensible option.

As was also pointed out, the 6D has a similar control layout to your 60D. If you plan on keeping your old body, this makes switching between the two bodies more seamless. That was another reason I liked the 5D3 in my case -- I was adding it to a 7D at that time, which had a similar control layout (as does the 7D2 that I now own instead).

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 31, 2015 10:19 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #6

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback.. ok, MalVeaux, yeah the 6d does seem like a better choice, especially refurb etc..I love the helicopter example! Ok, Ive looked at the Tammy 24-70.. I love my 70-200 2.8vc.. best bang for my buck Ive purchased so I wouldn't have a problem trusting the 24-70./ Id be FF so wont have the crop factor of my 17-50 at say 17mm or like 26mm.. I have always wanted something which gave me a better focal length range compared to my sigma. Still a bit pricy at $1100 but I purchased my Japanese Sigma on Ebay and have had zero issues.

GeoKras, true, I might end up keeping the 60d body, especially for weddings.. Thanks Scott M, good point about the auto focus. I know that the 6D has, I think, one cross type and its the center, i could be wrong...I wish I had a bit more, I dont prefer to focus/recompose unless im doing something with off camera flash so my aperture would potentially enough to not suffer from a slight move off plane...

Hmm..so I like that the 6D is FF even though it looks smaller then something in the 5d line, still though FF is FF. Thanks for all of the advice!

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 31, 2015 13:24 |  #7

Personally, I'm done with focus re-compose if I can. Love putting the af point where I want it on my 7DII.

so a 5DIII makes the most sense, if you don't want to focus, recompose. That is the camera to make the most of shallow DOF on good lenses, but you may have to wait to get the new lenses with the 5DIII purchase.

However, the new 50mm 1.8 stm is a stunner for cheap and great quality, and may satisfy having something for shallow dof till you get money saved for faster lenses.

Can also go the 6D with faster glass, and then upgrade to a 5DIII and keep the 6D for back up, all good choices, and no bad ones, really.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Submariner. (2 edits in all)

Aug 02, 2015 13:48 |  #8

Being a bit radical.
As your not happy with your current lens line up.
Considering what you shoot, I would sell the lot and get a Sony A7RII and a nice Zeiss or Sony G Lens.
Mind blowing IQ and the lenses optically are IMO ( having had 2) are every bit as good optically as a Canon L. Just not as robust as the great whites.

I guaurrantee you r images would blow away anything a 6D or the 5DIII Could dream of.

If you just want to stay with Canon because it makes you feel better Then go the 5DIII Route as the deals are so good, and its an OK camera - well built.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 02, 2015 20:53 |  #9

Having cameras with similar layouts also helps me, although the 5DIII had distinct differences than the 7D, like the buttons to zoom in to review. But even those small things can slow me down if I use one camera over another for a while and then swap.

Plus with the price of the 6D it would seem than unless you are craving a better AF system, it is the one for you.

Having said that, I thought I didn't need the 'fancy' AF until I got a 7D. That made me upgrade my 5DII to a III.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

artyH
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2015 18:01 |  #10

I would go for some glass first. The 35F2IS and the Canon 85F1.8 are good choices. After using these for awhile, if you want to go full frame, the 6 D2 may be out. I like the 6D. It has great image quality, but you can do a great deal with the 60D and a couple of fast primes.
When you get your full frame camera, the choice of a zoom may depend on your needs. If you are doing lots of weddings, you may be able to get by with the 24-105L, which is cheap as a kit. The 24-70F2.8 is perfect for weddings, but it is very expensive and very heavy.
I would go for glass before a body at this point.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 03, 2015 20:15 |  #11

I just used a 60d to do a shoot for one of the cast members of the sopranos this weekend did a great job.

IOPNER
88 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 22, 2015 19:07 |  #12

Interested

sponsored links

3,532 views & 2 likes for this thread
Time for a camera upgrade...need advice :)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.