Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Aug 2015 (Monday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smells like a SCAM to me...

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 03, 2015 18:55 |  #1

So about a week ago I get an email asking me for a price for 5 hours of event coverage for a family reunion. The broken grammar and failure to answer my straightforward questions were throwing red flags at me from the start. However, I try not to pass judgement on anyone based on literacy and/or socioeconomic levels, so I kept an open mind. Then things got wierd.

Read through the convo and tell me, has anyone ever had such a request? The story seems like something taken straight out of a 20/20 "I got scammed" episode. Even if this turned out to be a legit client, its not something I'd want to be involved with. Still, it's not completely obvious to me how this guy is going to rip me off for any money with the scenario he is proposing.

---------------

Hello am SAM Morison ,how are you doing, i have a family reunion party and i will like to know if you can available for event photography and do you accept credit card for payment and let me know your availability date August 2015, I got your contact information from the internet and i do hope you will be able to offer me the best service
Thanks

---------------

I do have some availability in August and I am able to accept credit card payments.

If you can provide some additional information about your event, I will be able to give you a cost estimate.

What is the date of the reunion?
Where will it take place? (venue? indoors/outdoors?)
Approximately how many guests?
How many hours of photography coverage are you wanting?

Thank you again for contacting me. I look forward to hearing back from you.

---------------

Thanks for your mail...good to hear this i am looking for August 20th i will like to know may be the date is open,if the date is open with you that would be okay,also what is your accurate cost for 5 hours service ?,the event would be held at *street address of local high-end banquet hall* will be awaiting your response for the family reunion party photography service.Also do you accept credit card and also will like you to get back to me with your full name and cell phone number .
Photo size i want,get back to me with the accurate cost.
4x6
5x7
8x10
11x14
16x20 - 8 portriat of my family all done on a flash drive or DVD.

---------------

Sam,
I have an opening on August 20th and I will accept credit card payments.

I want to give you a total price for the service, but I need some more information in order to quote an accurate cost. Are you wanting ONLY digital images (flash-drive/DVD), or do you digital images AND physical prints in the sizes that you listed in your last email? Also, I need to know approximately how many people will be at the reunion, and the start/stop time of the reunion. Once I am able to gather these details, I will provide you with my absolute best possible pricing.

Feel free to call with any other questions. If I'm unable to answer my phone, please leave me a message with your name and call-back number and I will return your call as soon as I can.

---------------

Hello how are you doing today , i will like you to know that you are to have all the picture done on a flash no need of physical prints and also i will like you to know that the number of guest that will be present is 100 in number and also i will like to know that the event will start by 1pm till 6pm ,so i will like you to get back to me with the total cost now so that we can proceed with the payment asap and i will be rest assured that the date is fully secured for us .

So I send him a contract with a total cost and ask him to call me with any questions or to complete the payment of the retainer fee. I didn't hear back from him for 3 days, so considering the event date was in about 3 weeks, I sent another email to him reminding him that I would need a signed contract and partial payment to secure the date. This is the reply I got today...

Hello i will like you to know the total cost really sounds good , but i will need a little favor which is i will like you to add an extra $2500.50 to my fee cause the event planner that will be handling the ceremony does not have the facility to accept credit card for his payment and i will like you to also add an extra $100 for your personal tip and have the sum of $2500.50 send to the event planner ,so i will like you to know that presently am been hospitalized and i want to make sure everything is in other for our re union event ,so that the event planner can have everything well arranged on time,so i will be glad if you can have this handled for me.

so i will like to know if you are now ready to have my card charged. i will like you to understand that you are to have $2500.50 send to the event planner as soon the funds hit your account , will be awaiting your positive response.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,988 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 03, 2015 19:06 |  #2

http://www.photographe​rsdirect.com/sellers/e​mail_scammers.asp (external link)

his name is on this list...and it sounds like he's trying to do the exact same thing...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by mannetti21.

Aug 03, 2015 19:58 |  #3

DreDaze wrote in post #17655342 (external link)

his name is on this list...and it sounds like he's trying to do the exact same thing...

Great to know. Even though I would never go through with this deal in a million years, it's satisfying to have it confirmed. I would think that accepting a credit card payment, and not an e-check (through Square Register in my case) would simply decline his credit card number. Is that not true?

Hmmmm...now how can I mess with this guy? :-)

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

maxblack
I feel like I'm in danger
2,002 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 03, 2015 20:23 |  #4

DreDaze wrote in post #17655342 (external link)

Great catch.

mannetti21 wrote in post #17655402 (external link)
Great to know. Even though I would never go through with this deal in a million years, it's satisfying to have it confirmed. I would think that accepting a credit card payment, and not an e-check (through Square Register in my case) would simply decline his credit card number. Is that not true?

I hope you can figure out something devious.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 03, 2015 20:26 |  #5

I got the same email last week from someone speaking broken English. As a rule, I don't respond to emails in broken English. 99% of them are scams. We get them all the time at work too. If it's not a scam, I don't want to risk doing business with someone who may not completely understand the contract or our conversation anyway.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by mannetti21.

Aug 03, 2015 20:33 |  #6

maxblack wrote in post #17655424 (external link)
I hope you can figure out something devious.

My wheels are turning :lol: Suggestions welcomed. I doubt reporting the scam is going to have any consequences for him.

Still, I'm curious if the transaction would actually get processed to begin with. If this guy is wanting to pay with a credit card, and the credit card is invalid or does not have a high enough limit, wouldn't it get rejected right away?

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,354 posts
Gallery: 1033 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 03, 2015 21:02 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #7

Perhaps not, if the card or number is stolen.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2015 21:28 |  #8

Hahaha, I kept waiting to hear about a Nigerian Prince and Western Union.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,999 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 03, 2015 21:37 |  #9

Weird stuff. I guess if they work 2% of the time then its worthwhile but Wow... what a piece of work. Stay vigilant!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 03, 2015 21:40 |  #10

mannetti21 wrote in post #17655402 (external link)

Contact law enforcement. Not sure which agency would handle this, FBI? This guy is likely overseas though.

flickr (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 03, 2015 22:09 |  #11

Larry Johnson wrote in post #17655526 (external link)
Contact law enforcement. Not sure which agency would handle this, FBI? This guy is likely overseas though.

https://www.fbi.gov/sc​ams-safety/e-scams (external link)

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2015 00:26 |  #12

Its almost certainly a scam. You can contact the venue to confirm that the event exists, and then contact your bank or credit card processor to see how to protect yourself from a scam payment.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,169 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 04, 2015 06:58 |  #13

Yep standard pre-payment scam. As son as the mention paying extra you know 100% that it is a scam.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

gewb
690 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 04, 2015 09:26 |  #14

Classic scam that has been around for years, just a photograpy twist instead of used car, motorcycle, used camera, et al.

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,969 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 04, 2015 09:47 |  #15

sspellman wrote in post #17655634 (external link)
Its almost certainly a scam.

Remove the word "almost" and you're there.

The phrase "I will like to . . ." is a tipoff. It turns up in innumerable versions of the e-mails connected with this scam. It isn't normal English.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

5,817 views & 4 likes for this thread
Smells like a SCAM to me...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.