Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 05:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best combo for travel. What would you choose?

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by vengence. (2 edits in all)

Aug 03, 2015 22:27 |  #16

Define travel. Car trip, never getting more than a mile from the car? If you can toss all the lenses in the car, then it's a very different answer than if you're going to carry it and have little to no space for it all. If it's the later, then I recommend getting away from a FF camera. Sacrilege, I know. However, for literally half the weight, you can get a very solid 18-135 STM (29-216 FF "equivalent") and a crop camera for less than most FF lenses. Or perhaps even the G3X or G7X depending on the range you want.

sponsored links
aldownie
118 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 04, 2015 05:22 |  #17

Take the 40 and the 135, and leave the rest to your imagination. Easy and super-light to carry around - stick the 135 in a Lowe-pro lens pouch and when you need to swap, the 40 will slide into any pocket.

Flickr gallery (external link)
(Mostly) Photography blog (external link) including:
• Canon 50mm f1.2L review (external link)
• 35L vs 35 f2 IS comparison shots (external link)
• Zooms vs primes (external link)

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Dj R.

Aug 04, 2015 12:12 |  #18

leave the gun
take the cannoli

BAG Reviews, master list!
Canon shooter

iAMB
847 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 04, 2015 12:28 |  #19

I did a 4 week tour of Europe with my 24-70 on 5D. Covered 90% of my shots. If I did find a nice rooftop, but wasn't able to reach a particular building, well I simply walked and found another rooftop. Get off the path and down the alleys, you'll be amazed what you find. Also had my 50mm 1.8 that stuck in my jacket pocket.

My other lens would have been a 24 TS-E for what would be 20% of the shots....but I'm still waiting for that to be in my bag.

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 04, 2015 13:55 |  #20

I think we lost the OP.

kajo
22 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 04, 2015 14:30 |  #21

I'm going to steal this thread since this is right at the top right now and I was going to post about the same thing and the OP has left the building.

I'm going to France and Italy for three weeks for my honeymoon. The major cities I'll be in is Paris, Lyon, Bordeuax, Venice, Florence, and Rome. We're going with just backpacks that can fit into overhead compartments. So I can only bring one lens with me, worried about weight and size.

I have a Canon t4i, the 18-135 STM, and the 50 1.8. We'll be visiting all the typical attractions, museums, churches. I would love to bring the 50 1.8 because of the size and speed for low light, but it's not wide enough for architecture and what not especially on my crop camera. The 18-135 is bigger and probably would not fit in my backpack well.

I was thinking of getting the 24 2.8 STM pancake. I'm thinking this would be wide enough, and definitely small enough. What are your guys thoughts on this?

iAMB
847 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 04, 2015 14:36 as a reply to  @ kajo's post |  #22

I honestly think it would be a mistake to not bring your 18-135...especially if this is your primary lens. I would find a way to squeeze that thing in there. Another option is to slide it into a shoe or something. As much as I can say 50mm on FF is my favorite lens, there are always times when you simply cannot back up, and getting closer is not always an option.

Bring both the 18-135, and the 50

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 04, 2015 14:45 |  #23

I had a decent thread going on travel setup
I have entirely new gear now
but there is a lot of good info to share here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1208082

BAG Reviews, master list!
Canon shooter

kajo
22 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 04, 2015 15:19 |  #24

iAMB wrote in post #17656379 (external link)
I honestly think it would be a mistake to not bring your 18-135...especially if this is your primary lens. I would find a way to squeeze that thing in there. Another option is to slide it into a shoe or something. As much as I can say 50mm on FF is my favorite lens, there are always times when you simply cannot back up, and getting closer is not always an option.

Bring both the 18-135, and the 50

Thanks for the input. We haven't decided what were are packing yet but every ounce of weight, and space matters to us since we'll each have a small 35 liter backpack for our all our clothes, toiletries, etc on us. I could try to do 18-135 and the 24mm 2.8 STM and split the weight between us. We will see when we start planning our backpacks.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,233 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 04, 2015 15:51 |  #25

kajo wrote in post #17656377 (external link)
I'm going to steal this thread since this is right at the top right now and I was going to post about the same thing and the OP has left the building.

I'm going to France and Italy for three weeks for my honeymoon. The major cities I'll be in is Paris, Lyon, Bordeuax, Venice, Florence, and Rome. We're going with just backpacks that can fit into overhead compartments. So I can only bring one lens with me, worried about weight and size.

I have a Canon t4i, the 18-135 STM, and the 50 1.8. We'll be visiting all the typical attractions, museums, churches. I would love to bring the 50 1.8 because of the size and speed for low light, but it's not wide enough for architecture and what not especially on my crop camera. The 18-135 is bigger and probably would not fit in my backpack well.

I was thinking of getting the 24 2.8 STM pancake. I'm thinking this would be wide enough, and definitely small enough. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I'm not sure that 24mm will be wide enough for those destinations. Instead of the 24mm pancake, consider picking up the EF-S 10-18mm IS. It should work great for interiors with the image stabilization. Then also pack your 50mm f/1.8 for more reach, portraits and low light. That would be a pretty compact kit.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 04, 2015 20:47 |  #26

kajo wrote in post #17656377 (external link)

For 95%+ of what you're going to want to shoot the 18-135 STM will be faster and sharper than the 50 f/1.8. The narrow depth of field of f/1.8 will be too shallow in a lot of cases. Additionally, for non-moving subjects, i.e. most vacation pictures, you get 4 stops of IS out of that lens. That rates the f/5.6 end of the lens as an effective f/1.4, that's faster than the 1.8 at the long end. At the short end, you're about 2 stops faster. And in both cases, you aren't limited to an overly thin depth of field.

If you are looking for a second lens to pair it with, I'd look at the EF-S 10-18 STM. The wide angle you'll really appreciate in Europe as the narrow streets can really play well against a UWA. Again, with it having IS, it'll be quite good in low light situations with static subjects.

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2015 22:51 |  #27

kajo wrote in post #17656442 (external link)
Thanks for the input. We haven't decided what were are packing yet but every ounce of weight, and space matters to us since we'll each have a small 35 liter backpack for our all our clothes, toiletries, etc on us. I could try to do 18-135 and the 24mm 2.8 STM and split the weight between us. We will see when we start planning our backpacks.

If limiting weight and space is the primary (or major) consideration, then give some serious thought to leaving the DSLR at home and taking a capable compact, like an RX100.

Cheers, Damien

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 04, 2015 23:05 |  #28

dodgyexposure wrote in post #17656910 (external link)
If limiting weight and space is the primary (or major) consideration, then give some serious thought to leaving the DSLR at home and taking a capable compact, like an RX100.

This is a really good suggestion. I'm not sure you'd be happy in Europe with the focal length of an RX100, but it should make you consider what you're really giving up.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 04, 2015 23:21 |  #29

I have been several times to all the places you want to visit, except Lyon. 24 mm is not nearly not wide for the places you want to see. You will not be able to frame places like the Colosseum in Rome, or Notre Dame in Paris,or the view of the Grand Canal from the Realto Bridge in Venice. You will need at least 18 mm wide. Taking the 10-18 as the only lens will be really limited, so I would strongly suggest the 18-135.

However, since you do not want to check in the luggage, you may seriously give a thought of leaving the SLR at home. It takes a lot of space in your backpack. Maybe a compact camera or a mirrorless one would be a better fit for your type of travel.

patrol50
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by patrol50. (2 edits in all)

Aug 05, 2015 00:01 as a reply to  @ kajo's post |  #30

ok i took 3 lenses to england / france in 2014 and mainly just used the 24-105 on the canon 7 d the other 2 a 70 - 200 and the 10-22 were essentially mostly wasted baggage space and weight - so i reckon take the 18-135

BUT BE very careful if you travel by car ( lock all the doors all the time) or by train in france and possibly italy and dont ever put your backpacks etc on the over head roof luggage racks of trains or even on the floor near the door unless you hang on to it - the pickpockets and the backpack thieves are very expert and incredibly quick :-(

cheers and have fun

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

sponsored links

12,850 views & 7 likes for this thread
Best combo for travel. What would you choose?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.