Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Jul 2015 (Friday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting down a drone

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,465 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2015 08:52 |  #106

ralff wrote in post #17657228 (external link)
.. People have been flying all sorts of model aircraft with cameras fo many years and no one even noticed.

I think it's the label "drone" that has become attached to quad copters. It instantly conjures visions of military drones and their deadly capabilities. Somehow remote controlled model with camera is just not that frightening.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
sjones
Goldmember
2,213 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 05, 2015 11:47 as a reply to  @ post 17657228 |  #107

Actually, in the US, you do have some rights to airspace, although to what extent appears ambiguous, and it probably varies depending on the jurisdiction. Think about it this way, suppose the drone was hovering just five to ten feet above your yard?

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,523 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 05, 2015 12:22 |  #108

sjones wrote in post #17657494 (external link)
Actually, in the US, you do have some rights to airspace, although to what extent appears ambiguous, and it probably varies depending on the jurisdiction. Think about it this way, suppose the drone was hovering just five to ten feet above your yard?

Then I would have swatted it with the shotgun! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,299 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 05, 2015 13:35 |  #109

Think about it this way, suppose the drone was hovering just five to ten feet above your yard?

Butterfly net . . .

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Luckless
Goldmember
3,063 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 05, 2015 14:08 |  #110

And before you think about taking an action that might destroy it, think about the possibility that something you own is causing signal interference and making the drone operate in a manner not expected by the owner. Which is something I've seen happen first hand when my friend's neighbour fired up some home build thing in his garage (We still have no idea what it is, but we now know it throws out massive white noise overlapping GPS signals and our 2.4ghz WiFi controllers and is powerful enough to have made the quadcopter enter its fail-safe hover mode trying to recover signal, and then get confused trying to navigate back 'home' when GPS timing became scrambled.)

The neighbour insists he has "no radio equipment or anything like that" in his shop, but something is blasting out signals that screw with wifi in the area. Luckily it is a rural area and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, as it really only affects a few households, but it is still annoying that he refuses to do anything about the emissions.

It does also highlight the need for good fault tolerance in control design and the need for failsafes in such devices to keep them from doing weird and dangerous things.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,213 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 05, 2015 16:00 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #111

My point was in reference to the ambiguous issue of air space rights, not on vindication of any particular action. This said, if the item was posing a safety threat to my hypothetical children, then the baseball bat or butterfly net comes out.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

iAMB
840 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 05, 2015 16:22 |  #112

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17656789 (external link)
Well, if drones were bringing me drugs, I would not shoot them down over my property!

that said, if the drone was flying over my property to deliver drugs elsewhere, I would be OBLIGATED to shoot it down!

(wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands)

You say that. Saw this on the BBC http://www.bbc.com/new​s/world-us-canada-33791411 (external link)

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

Luckless
Goldmember
3,063 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 05, 2015 16:37 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #113

Personally I would suggest that in most cases you are probably better off clearing the area and taking cover if it comes to a question of safety around an unknown drone. Actually attempting to directly disable, capture, knock down, or destroy anything large enough to reliably fly outdoors just seems like a good way to have it go in unexpected directions at questionable speeds.

Taking high speed prop blades to your nose is not a fun feeling.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,240 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 06, 2015 14:41 |  #114

Garden hose to bring it down. My Anitolian Shephard to finish it off, before I return the pieces to the owner.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog.

Aug 06, 2015 18:08 |  #115

I can see a new kind of video coming on youtube, like "My neighbors have sex" etc ...
don't you think ?

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,274 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 06, 2015 18:18 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #116

My neighbors are in their 80's, so eeww. -?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Zomboni
80 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 06, 2015 22:36 |  #117

I only have a 6D. Will its AF result in clean DIF?  :p

/duck

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 07, 2015 07:55 |  #118

Luckless wrote in post #17657669 (external link)
...is causing signal interference and making the drone operate in a manner not expected by the owner. Which is something I've seen happen first hand when my friend's neighbour fired up some home build thing in his garage (We still have no idea what it is, but we now know it throws out massive white noise overlapping GPS signals and our 2.4ghz WiFi controllers and is powerful enough to have made the quadcopter enter its fail-safe hover mode trying to recover signal, and then get confused trying to navigate back 'home' when GPS timing became scrambled.)

The neighbour insists he has "no radio equipment or anything like that" in his shop, but something is blasting out signals that screw with wifi in the area. Luckily it is a rural area and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, as it really only affects a few households, but it is still annoying that he refuses to do anything about the emissions.

Why do you think the signals are coming out of his garage? What type of "home built thing" are you talking about? I'm not defending anybody, but curious. Faulty insulators, bad transformers, bad/arcing connections, etc., can all cause intermittent "radio" interference. Household items can be notorious for emitting "white noise". I knew a guy who's wife bought a nice "touch control" table lamp...he immediately started getting interference while trying to operate his HAM radio. Magically, one day while his wife was gone the interference stopped but also the "touch" feature on the lamp...most HAMs are somewhat handy with electrical items. ;) Here's a good article regarding power line noise: http://www.arrl.org/po​wer-line-noise (external link)

Anyhow, if you rule out things around your house then I would call your electric company and tell them you are receiving some type of electrical interference on your radio devices. If they have a problem with their system they want to know about it...they can rule in or out that their power lines are the issue. If they rule it out, then contact the FCC. Here is a link to give some guidance on filing a complaint: https://consumercompla​ints.fcc.gov …-TV-and-Telephone-Signals (external link)

Of course, your neighbor might be being nice and jamming your drone rather than blasting it out of the sky. ;-)a

Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,063 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 07, 2015 08:45 |  #119

Intheswamp wrote in post #17659705 (external link)
Why do you think the signals are coming out of his garage? What type of "home built thing" are you talking about?

We know it is coming from his place because we could triangulate it to his workshop fairly easily with some basic radio gear. As for what it is, we're not totally sure, but it is throwing off broadband interference that isn't a continuous wavelength. The guy tinkers with things and the nature of the signal doesn't look like anything any remotely modern off the shelf gear would ever produce. It might not have been something he built himself, but it seems most probable. And the signals also only show up when he is running some machine in his garage.

Reports and such have been filed, but I have no idea what ever came of it. I should probably ask and see what happened with it.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 07, 2015 09:11 |  #120

Welding of some type maybe?

Yes, I would follow up on the previous reports that were filed. If the wheel doesn't squeak it doesn't get any oil...

Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

sponsored links

18,228 views & 10 likes for this thread
Shooting down a drone
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.