Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Aug 2015 (Friday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some advice on taking better images

Chrizz
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 07, 2015 10:47 |  #1

Hi guys,
I am certain that my gear is just fine and somehow i mess up ..so,
here is an example image i took. This is straight from the camera, sized down and saved for web to keep the size down.
I have always have trouble hitting the sweet spot when it comes to sharpening.
My images look soft vmadvmad

Gear used for this is a canon 500d with the EF 18-55 lens.
Focal length 18mm
exposure 1/160 f/8 iso 100
evaluative metering

All advices are welcomed.
Thanks for reading guys.

**I use photoshop cs6 for processing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 500d | EFS 18-55 IS | Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD XLD

sponsored links
bpalermini
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 07, 2015 11:02 |  #2

Do you mind if I take a try at processing it and post it here? I don't think sharpness is the issue. I would take the blacks down and the whites up a bit. I think the black adjustment would make a big difference. I would also crop out some of the foreground to get the focus off of the light rocks.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

frayne
158 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by frayne. (3 edits in all)

Aug 07, 2015 11:05 |  #3

Just my two cents and I am far from a pro. I think most pictures that are perfectly centered are a bit boring to the human eye where something off center make it much more interesting. Also remember and use the rule of thirds.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The only thing a golfer and photographer needs is more light.
Canon G9/5D/6D/70D Lenses 100-400L IS/17-40L/24-105L IS/100L IS/85 USM

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 07, 2015 11:11 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Noon is just about a guarantee of boring lighting.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 07, 2015 12:00 |  #5

Chrizz wrote in post #17659855 (external link)
...I have always have trouble hitting the sweet spot when it comes to sharpening.
My images look soft vmadvmad...

**I use photoshop cs6 for processing.

It would be difficult to diagnose the problem from the posted image. It'd probably help, though, if you mentioned which method(s) of sharpening (and noise reduction) you use and what settings you generally select. The sweet spot will vary from image to image.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 07, 2015 12:09 |  #6

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17659882 (external link)
Noon is just about a guarantee of boring lighting.

This.

You won't get "sharp" looking photos without sharp looking light. Also, as noted above, your composition leaves a bit to be desired. Try revisiting the location in the morning or evening and play around with some different angles and zoom levels on your lens.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 07, 2015 12:42 |  #7

Better photos are interesting photos, and interesting photos are interesting because there is some reason to look at them.

Ask yourself the question of "Why would someone want to look at this again" can go a long way in producing better photos. What is the point to the photo? Why should someone care about it?

When doing sports photography I have that somewhat easy. People care about my sports photos because usually the people looking at them are in the photo, or are friends of the person in the photo, and they enjoy the action, emotion, or general memory of the moment, and there is 'something happening' in the photo.

However landscapes are, to me at least, a far different thing and much harder to answer the question of 'why should I or anyone want to look at this again?'.

Good luck, and keep questioning things. Answers come through asking questions, and better answers come through learning to ask yourself better questions.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Chrizz.

Aug 07, 2015 12:50 as a reply to  @ bpalermini's post |  #8

Bob Palermini,
No problem at all.

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 07, 2015 12:52 as a reply to  @ Tedder's post |  #9

Thank you Tedder,
I do all sharpening and noise reduction in camera raw. I am not a pro, just looking to get better at this.

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Chrizz.

Aug 07, 2015 12:58 as a reply to  @ frayne's post |  #10

frayne,
Very good! thank you!

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 07, 2015 12:59 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #11

Thank you guys!
What are the best times of the day,regarding light, to visit a location for landscape photography??

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 07, 2015 13:01 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #12

thank you Luckless!

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 07, 2015 13:04 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Chrizz wrote in post #17659963 (external link)
Thank you Tedder,
I do all sharpening and noise reduction in camera raw. I am not a pro, just looking to get better at this.

Admittedly, I know nothing of your photographic skills. However, this statement may be indicative of your starting a few steps too late in the quest to get better images. You have to get lighting, composition, subject, timing, and framing right first. Then you release the shutter. After all that is done, it becomes time to finagle with contrast, sharpening, and noise reduction. Start at the beginning. Getting it right is a lot easier than fixing it later. I know, I've been struggling to get it right most of my life. :)

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 07, 2015 13:06 |  #14

What happens when you dont have the luxury of visiting a place at a different time??
I find myself, during vacations, having the same problem: Images looking TO ME boring.
Will a change of Len help?

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 07, 2015 13:09 |  #15

With regards to the best time to visit somewhere for the best light, the honest answer is "It depends". Around sunset/rise is often a favoured time, but it isn't always the best of times. Sometimes you are going to what the shadow and light effect that is only available with a noon sun on a slightly cloudy day, and other times you might want something different from the light. Sometimes you may even want to show up in the middle of the night on a moonless overcast day, and carry around a large high powered flash unit during a massively long multiple exposure shot.

Study light in existing photos that you like, and try to understand what the light is doing, how it is created, and why the photographer would have wanted it like that.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

8,734 views & 19 likes for this thread
Some advice on taking better images
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.