Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 03 Aug 2015 (Monday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FIrst Week Of October - Aspen - Fall Color?

Antihero47
75 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 03, 2015 17:27 |  #1

All, me and the GF are planning to fly to Colorado in order to check out the fall color. The dates we selected based on a foilage map I found were Oct 2nd - Oct 10th. We'll be staying in the Aspen/Snowmass area for 4 days and then moving up to Boulder to see Rocky Mountain Natl Park.

My question is this an ok time to go to see fall color, everything I've seen on this site has been middle Sept - Late Sept. We're really going to see the fall color and I want to photograph is as much as possible.

We may be able to move our trip a week earlier.

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by patrick j.

Aug 03, 2015 22:35 |  #2

I think about Sept 25 to Oct. 5 is prime time, going from north to south in the state. Pretty sure your dates are too late for RMNP. Plus there aren't so many aspens up there. It varies a little bit from year to year. Last year I was in Aspen on Sept. 23, took the photo at the link below. Went up to Kebler Pass around Oct. 2 and it was still fairly green, drove down Ohio Pass just a few miles away and mostly yellow. Anyway, if you are out here in the date range I put up there, you'll see color in some part of the state. I think the Elk Range and San Juan mountains are your best bets.

Fall photography out here is becoming very popular, you'll see a few fellow photographers.

https://www.flickr.com …845/in/datepost​ed-public/ (external link)

Flickr (external link)

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 09, 2015 19:48 |  #3

We were in Buena Vista that week last year and there was still plenty of color on the slopes. On our last morning they had the first good snow and the morning sun on the now white slopes was incredibly beautiful. Buena Vista is about 100 miles SW of where you will be.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

smmokan
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 10, 2015 21:50 |  #4

I'd move your trip up a week if possible. It's been a fairly dry summer, which should mean the aspens will change "earlier than usual". I quoted that because it's truly different every year. I've lived here for 11+ years and *on average*, I try to free up the last week in September for heading to the high country for aspen shots. Once in a while you'll get some stragglers into October, but it's not the norm. It also depends on when the first decent snowfall is.

In my experience, RMNP actually changes a bit later- but like Patrick said below, there aren't a ton of aspens in the park other than the first part of the Emerald Lake hike. If you're coming to Colorado for the main reason to see aspens, I wouldn't bother coming to Boulder (where I live) and on to RMNP. I'd spend all my time between Aspen, Crested Butte, and the areas around Ridgway/Ouray/Tellurid​e. They're FAR more beautiful than anywhere in RMNP.

I took this a few years ago just off the main road on the south side of Mt. Crested Butte.

IMAGE: http://www.stevemokanphotography.com/Portfolio/Slideshow-Pictures/i-gQJC8Q7/0/L/CrestedButteFall-3-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.stevemokanp​hotography.com …show-Pictures/i-gQJC8Q7/A  (external link)

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

Antihero47
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 10, 2015 23:58 as a reply to  @ smmokan's post |  #5

I did bring up the idea of moving it up a week further but that would complicate things for her getting time off approved over again which prolongs the wait to purchase tickets and hotels etc and we're trying to do it as cheap as we can. What should I expect to see in Aspen the "week after everything changes"? Are we just looking at red leaves or no leaves at all? I'm not even sure how the progression goes.

GF really wants to see everything and we kind of are on a national park kick. We'll mull it over as far as where to go. But like I said it depends, what will we typically see the first week of October?

smmokan
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 11, 2015 17:57 as a reply to  @ Antihero47's post |  #6

It kind of depends... there could be sections of good color left over, it just won't be as full and/or bright. I mean, you could get lucky with something like this:

https://500px.com …spen-by-tajammul-abidally (external link)

I get the National Park thing, but honestly- after being around Aspen and Crested Butte (and wherever else down there), you'll be MAJORLY disappointed with Rocky Mountain National Park. And that's coming from someone who lives 45 minutes away. I would spend time around Aspen, CB, or Ridgway/Telluride any day of the week before I considered RMNP. Trust me on this one.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by patrick j.

Aug 12, 2015 16:37 |  #7

Antihero47 wrote in post #17664355 (external link)
Are we just looking at red leaves or no leaves at all? I'm not even sure how the progression goes.

That would be - Green - Yellow - Bare. Some aspens do turn red, but that is the exception. If you want to keep tabs on things, usually at the fourteener web site someone starts a thread on fall colors, probably it will pop up around 9/15. So that's a good spot to see where things are changing. Go here - 14ers.com - and look at the forum topics on the right side of the page.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,044 views & 1 like for this thread
FIrst Week Of October - Aspen - Fall Color?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.