Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a website that charges for gallery access?

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 19, 2014 18:22 |  #16

...you want to charge people to see photos taken at WWE events?

Good luck getting into any future WWE events after you start doing that. You might as well put the images on T-Shirts and start selling those.

There are easier ways to make money in photography that won't ruffle any feathers. Dan has pointed out the biggest flaw in your business plan. There are a few others.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links
J ­ Michael
964 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 20, 2014 14:57 |  #17

One approach would be to set up a Vimeo Pro account ($200/year) and then create a pay per view project for each event. Use a video editor to convert the images to slide show type video. If you record audio during the events you could drop an audio track on the timeline.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,672 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 20, 2014 15:09 |  #18

You can password protect entire galleries at smugmug. In fact, if you upgrade to a pro account, you will make a commission per photo printed or ordered from that gallery. So you could charge access into the gallery to see the proofs (restrict the largest size they can see, so they can facebook ,etc but not print), and then they could order large prints and you make a commission.

If you decide to do that, please let me know, I would love the referral perk that goes with recommending a new member.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CH_Devin
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 25, 2014 03:24 as a reply to  @ banquetbear's post |  #19

No, why would I do that for WWE events? Please point out another flaw if you will.

24-105 II

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 25, 2014 04:49 |  #20

CH_Devin wrote in post #17349958 (external link)
No, why would I do that for WWE events? Please point out another flaw if you will.

...because you have 14 WWE galleries on your website and you said you wanted to charge people access to view pro-wrestling galleries? It isn't an unreasonable assumption considering how little other information you have supplied.

So how's that charging for gallery access working out for you then? Making as much money as you anticipated?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

CH_Devin
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 06, 2015 23:12 |  #21

Harm wrote in post #17341232 (external link)
Even Peter Lik doesn't charge to view his galleries...

Peter Lik couldn't touch what I do around a wrestling ring.

24-105 II

vfotog
167 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 07, 2015 03:12 |  #22

CH_Devin wrote in post #17340191 (external link)
Galleries are my bread and butter, but at the moment, I am not making any money by showing them for free. Is there a website that can present my galleries in a locked form and have customers pay for access into them? I'm thinking either a password protected (possibly a password generator), or a one-time cookie of some sort. This would help me out a lot if there is a way.

The phrase "bread and butter" means that's how you make the bulk of your income. So how are galleries your bread and butter if you, like everyone else, don't charge for them? Shouldn't selling prints be your "bread and butter"?

ScottM70
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 07, 2015 03:25 |  #23

Not to be negative about expectations - good luck. Didn't look at photos, just galleries. Looks like you get some good shots.

I had a quick look at your site, and the gallery with the largest number of visitors is about 500. That's a far cry from your initial statement, and likely to reduce your potential income. Most galleries are also fairly old (that I saw, anyway), and of a single event. Therefore most people won't view more than one gallery. (BTW: are you proposing that once someone's paid to see one gallery, they can come back in a couple years and look at the same one again through that payment?) I'd say a subscription model would work "better".

Personally there's no way I'd pay just to look. I'm not one of your _market_ though.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 10, 2015 18:52 as a reply to  @ ScottM70's post |  #24

Just from a business standpoint, why would anyone pay to see unknown photos from an unknown phtographer (no offense meant). Its 2015. They can pretty much google for any image theyd want to see, unless youre offering some rare unique photographs. In fact, kinda has a piss off factor.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,066 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 11, 2015 00:36 |  #25

CH_Devin wrote in post #17340191 (external link)
Galleries are my bread and butter, but at the moment, I am not making any money by showing them for free.

You seem to contradict yourself. "Bread and butter" means "where most of one's income is coming from". Yet you say that you are not currently making any money from galleries. Yet you say that galleries are your bread and butter. Yet.......

What you have said here is quite confusing to me, and appears to contradict itself. Could you please clarify the statements and explain exactly what galleries are to you, and what they are not?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

5,027 views & 1 like for this thread
Is there a website that charges for gallery access?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.