Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 09 Aug 2015 (Sunday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hey all new member here and a ??

liqwidsilver
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 09, 2015 20:07 |  #1

I am pretty new to photography. I currently have a Canon Rebel EOS T3. I have the standard 18-55 lens an 18-135, and a 75-300 lens. I also have a macro wide lens for the 55mm. I am being hired to film Santa at a few events this year. I want to know what special setting or lens I should use. I am assuming the basic 18-55 should be fine or should I go with the 18-135mm. Also do I need to have a white umbrella behind me for good photos. I will be using a flash attachment. Any help is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning alot here.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,430 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 10, 2015 08:32 |  #2

Will Santa be sitting with a kid on his lap, or wandering around a venue?
And, Welcome to POTN!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

liqwidsilver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 10, 2015 10:27 |  #3

Kids will be sitting on Santas lap with a backdrop.

PhotosGuy
75,430 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 10, 2015 11:24 |  #4

I will be using a flash attachment.

Specifically what? Do you only have one umbrella?
If it were me, I'd use a strobe on the camera for fill & the umbrella a bit off to the side for the main light, Simplest one light setup would be the umbrella at the camera as you said.
But in a setting where you could have kids running around, you should sandbag the light stand, & maybe anything else that could fall over. And you'd better check with the venue to be sure that you're covered with their insurance.
Do you have a back-up camera & lights? It's something to think about, no?

As for settings, it's impossible to give them to you. Maybe start with f/8, 1/200 sec, & ISO 100. Set up at home & work out the distance, lens, & settings. Write them down.

liqwidsilver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 10, 2015 14:02 |  #5

Thanks. Right now I don't have any umbrellas or anything. I have been looking at ones to buy very soon. That is good tips on the sandbag though. I will have to ask if I will be under their insurance. It is being held in a church.

BeerWolf
263 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 11, 2015 08:33 |  #6

Most Santa set-ups at the mall I've seen have a camera on a tripod in portrait orientation. The usually have one strobe (not speedlite) mounted on-axis above the camera (on a light stand) either in a shoot-through umbrella or reflected umbrella.

Do you have a light stand and/or tripod?

liqwidsilver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 11, 2015 11:13 as a reply to  @ BeerWolf's post |  #7

I have none of that yet. Was mainly looking to see what I should buy. lately I just do nature and car shows so this is a first of like still photography. I plan on getting a camera tripod very soon.

tdlavigne
329 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tdlavigne.

Aug 12, 2015 00:03 |  #8

Mall lighting is going to be tricky, generally SUPER warm in my experience (I travel around and shoot a lot of mall stuff for a client). So just keep that in mind (I don't know if gels are too much for a beginner) with re: to what you end up doing with your lighting. Yes, one large umbrella and a monolight would work, but don't be afraid to get a decent speedlight instead. The monolight will have to deal with AC power (or DC if you have $$$) which means cables, which could mean trip hazards for kids/patrons and liability. (edit: I just saw it wasn't being held at a mall but church, in which case you should go scout and see what the lighting is like and what they're using there and adjust accordingly)

For portraits you likely won't be shooting quickly so you shouldn't need the super fast recycle of proper strobes. From what I remember the kid sits on Santa's lap, smiles for the camera, and one shot taken. Wash, rinse, repeat. I think even a Yongnuo, a pair of triggers (3 just in case you need backup), and a large shoot through umbrella would work. 2 would be easier and depending on your personal taste maybe better.

I recently went through the same thing, needing some sort of cheap and lightweight lighting for fill on location. Ended up with a used Yongnuo speedlight (apparently everyone is recommending them, and my impression so far is that they're pretty good for the price), 2 pairs of wireless triggers, and a collapsible octobox. Total spent: maybe $62 and change. Already had a lightstand and umbrella mount for flash though...that could be at least another $30 if you go the cheap route, or much more if you go "quality".

PhotosGuy
75,430 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 12, 2015 07:19 |  #9

tdlavigne wrote in post #17665736 (external link)
The monolight will have to deal with AC power (or DC if you have $$$) which means cables, which could mean trip hazards for kids/patrons and liability.

Office supply stores usually have plastic runners that are made to enclose electrical cords & keep them flat on the floor. Or you could duct tape them to the floor.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 12, 2015 07:40 |  #10

You've taken a job you are grossly unqualified to do. You need to get some lighting equipment ASAP and start learning how to use it. What may have seemed like a simple photo has lots of subtle difficulties.

tommy_t
189 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 13, 2015 10:22 |  #11

I use 3 Yongnuo triggers, Yongnuo flash, and an older Metz flash with a cheap softbox, umbrella, and silver reflector. I'm quite happy with the results, on a stingy budget.

Fujifilm X-T10
flickr (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
6,969 posts
Gallery: 452 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Aug 13, 2015 10:43 |  #12

liqwidsilver wrote in post #17663766 (external link)
Thanks. Right now I don't have any umbrellas or anything. I have been looking at ones to buy very soon. That is good tips on the sandbag though. I will have to ask if I will be under their insurance. It is being held in a church.

You may want to check the lighting there before the event and be well prepared. If it's an older church, it could be pretty dark. Get the speedlites asap and start shooting, so that you really know what you are doing :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

liqwidsilver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 13, 2015 11:50 |  #13

Thanks all for the comments. I ordered a package of umbrellas well a kit I guess. Includes a greenscreen as well. May not be the greatest but it should do for now. Ordered a Canon speedlite as well. This is a newer church however depending where they have me setup I may have sun glare through the mosaic. Which I am very sure that can be tricky to play with. I am scheduling a time to meet with the lady in charge as she is a good friend of mine anyway to sort out where and if anything I can do some practicing prior to.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2015 17:12 as a reply to  @ liqwidsilver's post |  #14

If those umbrellas are for continuous lights, cancel the order while you still can. They are going to be underpowered for your task as well as uncomfortable for your subjects.

sponsored links

4,301 views & 2 likes for this thread
Hey all new member here and a ??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.