Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 14, 2015 03:50 |  #751

agv8or wrote in post #17668269 (external link)
If you are looking for a set of grids for your Rovelight 5" reflector, Norman makes a really nice 3 pc set of 5" grids (15, 30 and 40 degree) for $130. Only Caveat is that they are not 5" but rather 6 1/8". They require a Norman grid holder at an additional cost of $55. This may seem a bit high priced but the quality of the grids and holder are exceptional with a very ingenious mounting system. The holder snaps perfectly onto the Rovelight reflector and the grids snap inside the holder where they are held firmly but are removed easily. No Velcro, friction or cheesy clips to deal with. You can buy cheap 7" reflectors and grids off Ebay and elsewhere but if you are looking for something a little nicer to use with your 5" reflector I doubt you'd be disappointed in the Normans. I have several Bowens grid reflectors and multiple sets of Bowens grids which cost more than the Normans but the mounting system of the Normans is much better IMO.

Nice. I wonder how they compare to the Flashpoint grids in terms of mounting system.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links
JoeyBaccala
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 14, 2015 22:33 |  #752

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5617/20551389292_2b045997bb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xj4f​39  (external link) Taxi Cab Confessions (external link) by Joseph K Photography (external link), on Flickr

JOEY
5D MKII//SIGMA 50A/Helios 44-2/85L/70-200 f2.8LIS USM II
Flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/josephkaminskiphoto​graphy (external link)

mpstan
299 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 15, 2015 14:18 |  #753

How does this earlier version Jinbei strobe compare to an RL 600? I'm mainly wondering about differences in how they are triggered, HSS capabilities. The controls are similar but not identical. I'm an umbrella speedliter, still trying to decide between a strobe and digging deeper with speedlites.

http://www.fredmiranda​.com …0?keyword=strob​e#13151319 (external link)

5D Mk 3/// Canon 70-200 f/4L /// Canon 24mm 2.8 ///Sigma 85 1.4 ART ///Sigma 35 1.4 ART/// Godox AD360/// Flashpoint Li-Ion x 2
//Manfrotto 055XPRO /// Manfrotto 498 RC2 Ballhead///Jinbei HD-600///

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 16, 2015 12:43 |  #754

No word on the new transmitter?

I have a question. I am in the market to buy some TTL triggers for HSS work with the Rovelight. The new trigger will not have this function in all probability, correct? In other words, I should just go ahead and buy a pair of YN 622n in any event?

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 16, 2015 12:48 |  #755

mpstan wrote in post #17669945 (external link)
How does this earlier version Jinbei strobe compare to an RL 600? I'm mainly wondering about differences in how they are triggered, HSS capabilities. The controls are similar but not identical. I'm an umbrella speedliter, still trying to decide between a strobe and digging deeper with speedlites.

http://www.fredmiranda​.com …0?keyword=strob​e#13151319 (external link)

I'm not sure how they compare, but I was a speedlight user before the Rovelight. I still have a few of them, and use them on occasion, but I will never go back. Looking back at the last ten years or so I think the biggest mistake I made was sticking with speedlights too long. I think if you look at the history of speedlights they are a unit designed to be firing straight at a person, 10 feet away, on the top of the camera. Start shooting them through modifiers, or bouncing them and they become impractical very quickly. The modern sb900's are getting better, and more powerful, but the cost is just so prohibitive, I would much rather just get another rovelight or similar.

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 16, 2015 14:02 |  #756

PECE Photo wrote in post #17670979 (external link)
No word on the new transmitter?

I have a question. I am in the market to buy some TTL triggers for HSS work with the Rovelight. The new trigger will not have this function in all probability, correct? In other words, I should just go ahead and buy a pair of YN 622n in any event?

I would say yes just buy the yn triggers. I would say it's not likely that the triggers would be HSS capable.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

nprotz
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 17, 2015 04:31 |  #757

I have several questions about these...

So Westcott umbrellas won't fit the Rovelight? If not, what umbrellas will?

Regarding the new trigger, has anyone tried these? They say for HD600II...isn't that what the Rovelights are?

If you're using multiple Rovelights, you have to have a TRS for each to control power? Is there another way to control each light's power separately from the camera?

Pennebakerphoto
24 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Aug 17, 2015 05:24 as a reply to  @ nprotz's post |  #758

both of my 60" westcott umbrellas fit.

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Aug 17, 2015 06:38 |  #759

" .. Regarding the new trigger, has anyone tried these? They say for HD600II...isn't that what the Rovelights are? .. "

I'm not a user yet - but my understanding is that Rovelight = HD 660 II - and - their triggers are inter-operable.

Jinbei are currently producing HD 600 V lights requiring the V version trigger. They are not inter-triggerable with the Rovelight / II lights above.

" .. If you're using multiple Rovelights, you have to have a TRS for each to control power? .. "

Yes. And use channels in lieu of Groups.

" .. Is there another way to control each light's power separately from the camera? .. "

No. Not as yet - does not seem imminent. But please verify all of the above!

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by digitalduck.

Aug 17, 2015 12:23 |  #760

Hi guys, ok , I am so close to deciding between a coupleAB800's or a Rovelight.. truth be told, I really want the RV600. I did have a couple questions before I pulled the trigger though :)

1. Pennebakerphoto mentioned that the 60" Westcott umbrella fits in the shaft... can I assume that my Impact 60" convertable will fit as well?

2. I know its been mentioned before, but typing this at work, so cant go bakc and search... if i get the FP mount, am I stuck having to use their mount or is there still a Bowens adapter? I know its best to spend the extra $200 but was hoping to use that towards and octo modifier.

3. Any chance the Bownes mount will ever go on sale again? I know its tough to say

4. Odd question, but since I love using my Sekonic 358 indoors and then out to balance ambient, how would metering even work when using HSS? I know I can meter to check how close i am and then use the remote to adjust the flash up/down, but if Im in HSS mode does that change?

5. Ill be using a PBL stand that is pretty heavy duty, on a typical day can i just bring a sandbag or two or does it really depend on which modifier ill be using for that day?

6. If I have only one strobe at the moment, a FP budget monolight 300w. Should I assume that this Rovelight will crush it performance wise? Worth even keeping it if i have two speedlights already?

7. If I did get the Bowens mount could you recommend a good, inexpensive octabox?

8. Lastly, originally I was going to upgrade my 60D to a 6D but I truthfully think that the Rovelight, and ability to do HSS along with a different modifier will help in a lot of situations that i could be in with clients, then i can upgrade camera after that.... good thought?

Thank you!

misty66
Goldmember
4,066 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 17, 2015 12:31 |  #761

I have the Jinbei V and the Westcott umbrella fit also, But the TRS V are still bad. Glad I already bought the Yongnuo triggers :).

Please call me Sandra
My girls (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 17, 2015 12:40 |  #762

PECE Photo wrote in post #17670979 (external link)
I am in the market to buy some TTL triggers for HSS work with the Rovelight. The new trigger will not have this function in all probability, correct?

No the new trigger for the Flashpoint lights will not have the pre-sync signal for high shutter speeds.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Robsphoto
277 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Robsphoto. (2 edits in all)

Aug 17, 2015 14:10 |  #763

digitalduck wrote in post #17672363 (external link)
Hi guys, ok , I am so close to deciding between a coupleAB800's or a Rovelight.. truth be told, I really want the RV600. I did have a couple questions before I pulled the trigger though :)

1. Pennebakerphoto mentioned that the 60" Westcott umbrella fits in the shaft... can I assume that my Impact 60" convertable will fit as well?

There is one version of the Wescott that will not fit the Rovelight. Not sure if the 60" or lower but the impact 60" and PCB 64" Buff PLM fit perfectly.

2. I know its been mentioned before, but typing this at work, so cant go bakc and search... if i get the FP mount, am I stuck having to use their mount or is there still a Bowens adapter? I know its best to spend the extra $200 but was hoping to use that towards and octo modifier.

Grab the Bowens Rovelight. There is only two versions and with the Flashpoint version, you will have to purchase modifiers from Adorama with the exception of umbrellas.....

3. Any chance the Bownes mount will ever go on sale again? I know its tough to say

They are always onsale, you just have to keep checking!!!

4. Odd question, but since I love using my Sekonic 358 indoors and then out to balance ambient, how would metering even work when using HSS? I know I can meter to check how close i am and then use the remote to adjust the flash up/down, but if Im in HSS mode does that change?

First the included trigger will not provide you HSS. You will have to purchase a RX/TX such as the Youngnou 622.

5. Ill be using a PBL stand that is pretty heavy duty, on a typical day can i just bring a sandbag or two or does it really depend on which modifier ill be using for that day?

Yes, the Rovelight is top heavy but I have not had any problems with a medium sized stand.....

6. If I have only one strobe at the moment, a FP budget monolight 300w. Should I assume that this Rovelight will crush it performance wise? Worth even keeping it if i have two speedlights already?

I do not know the performance of your current light. You can purchase the RL and if you are not satisfied, you can simply return for a refund......

7. If I did get the Bowens mount could you recommend a good, inexpensive octabox?

Too many to list here but my favorite now is the https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com …ct-p/rb-90.htm&Click=1197 (external link)

8. Lastly, originally I was going to upgrade my 60D to a 6D but I truthfully think that the Rovelight, and ability to do HSS along with a different modifier will help in a lot of situations that i could be in with clients, then i can upgrade camera after that.... good thought?

IDK

Thank you!

Happy Shooting:lol:

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 17, 2015 14:15 as a reply to  @ Robsphoto's post |  #764

Thank you Robsphoto! I forgot to mention I own a coupel 622c's and thanks for the recommendation of the octobox

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 17, 2015 16:48 as a reply to  @ digitalduck's post |  #765

And just like that "Rovelight 600 One sale $479.95" at Adorama.... Pulled the trigger!! It was $599 this morning still :)

sponsored links

442,641 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.