Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Aug 2015 (Wednesday) 12:38
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Recommend Rovelight 600"
YES
83.3%
NO
16.7%

18 voters, 18 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ROVELIGHT 600 POLL

mpstan
299 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 08, 2015 10:18 as a reply to  @ post 17659386 |  #16

Overnight price change:

FYI I've been looking at this light very hard, and had it up on my computer last night on the Adorma site. It showed $479, but when I added to cart this morning it changed to $599. Ouch.

5D Mk 3/// Canon 70-200 f/4L /// Canon 24mm 2.8 ///Sigma 85 1.4 ART ///Sigma 35 1.4 ART/// Godox AD360/// Flashpoint Li-Ion x 2
//Manfrotto 055XPRO /// Manfrotto 498 RC2 Ballhead///Jinbei HD-600///

sponsored links
mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 08, 2015 10:59 as a reply to  @ mpstan's post |  #17

http://www.amazon.com …sr=1-2&keywords=rovelight (external link)

Website (external link)

CANON

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 09, 2015 09:12 |  #18

That's listed at 599 now as well.

The bowens mount price goes up and down quite a bit. Just have to wait for it to drop again. I remember at one point it dropped below the flashpoint mounts price.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 09, 2015 10:15 |  #19

I am curious about what gear people who are not recommending the Rovelight would suggest over it.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 09, 2015 12:07 |  #20

Luckless wrote in post #17662060 (external link)
I am curious about what gear people who are not recommending the Rovelight would suggest over it.

I can't speak one way or the other about the Rovelight as I have no experience with it, or much with any other strobe - yet. However, as I previously invested in the Phottix Odin trigger system and already have the transmitter, a couple receivers for my Canon flashes, and a Mitros II, I ordered the compatible Indra 500 so that I can maintain the on-camera ability to adjust settings across all of them. If it works as flawlessly as the rest of my Phottix gear, I expect to be quite satisfied with it.

Dale

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 09, 2015 13:09 as a reply to  @ Spats139's post |  #21

Yes, the Indra 500 has been a horribly tempting bit of kit, but personally I haven't been able to sell myself on it due to the price point of it compared to the Rovelight. I would most likely own an Indra 500 right now if I hadn't seen the Rovelight on the market, but sadly my budget just couldn't agree with getting the Indra units with the more flexible options when I had access to something that undercut the price to that degree without giving up all that much functionality. (TTL would be awesome now and then, but I honestly don't see myself using it a great deal.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

DoninIA
188 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 09, 2015 13:13 |  #22

I went with the Mettle 600 AD.
Saved about $155 over the Rovelight. Used that savings toward a modifier.
The 600 AD does have a separate battery pack vs the modular design of the Rovelight.
The plus side of the 600 AD is that I can do AC or DC.
Also, with the 600 AD you can't change power remotely.
With the Rovelight, you can, pending that your transmitter is working.

Don
Canon 7D, 5D, EF 70-200 f/4L IS, Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 85 f/1.8, T/C EF 1.4 II

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,325 posts
Gallery: 1715 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 09, 2015 13:19 |  #23

Heya,

Phottix Indra 500 + Battery pack
Godox RS600P
Elinchrom Ranger
Profoto AcuteB 600
Godotx/Cheetah AD360
AlienBee's with portable battery packs
Jinbei HD-II 600 (latest version, Rovelight clone, new better transmitter to address the stock one)

While they're not all exactly 600ws perhaps, those are commonly used in place of where the Rovelight would be.

The Rovelight is still relatively new to the show.

But if you compare cost, output, overall size, weight, battery, etc, it's pretty quick to see why the Rovelight would be at least a consideration.

I almost went with the AD360. It did everything I wanted. But the HSS output power of the Rovelight won me over (and the lack of portable battery pack and long cables to get tangled, or pinched, etc). I also just wanted one portable outdoor strobe for HSS in the sun. So the Rovelight really spoke to me there. I think someone wanting a bunch of lights that are portable, versatile indoors, smaller, lighter, with more features for different communication setups would want something different from the Rovelight.

I think the major faults of the Rovelight are the triggering system, while it's easy to bypass and work around with 3rd party triggers (like Odins, Yongnuo 622's, etc), it's annoying that something at this price point would have the transmitter it does with it's limitations and less than robust build on the transmitter (the light is built great), and the lack of TTL (it has HSS, but not TTL, weird to me, but then again I don't care for TTL anyways on a strobe outside, but it's lacking that feature so might as well mention it). Beyond that, the Rovelight has a ton going for it in terms of portability, cost, build, output, HSS, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Spats139
412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 09, 2015 13:36 |  #24

Luckless wrote in post #17662260 (external link)
Yes, the Indra 500 has been a horribly tempting bit of kit, but personally I haven't been able to sell myself on it due to the price point of it compared to the Rovelight. I would most likely own an Indra 500 right now if I hadn't seen the Rovelight on the market, but sadly my budget just couldn't agree with getting the Indra units with the more flexible options when I had access to something that undercut the price to that degree without giving up all that much functionality. (TTL would be awesome now and then, but I honestly don't see myself using it a great deal.)

The price was definitely an "ouch" point, but with how much I already have into the Odin triggers (which have performed without a single miss), and finding a store in Calgary that was offering free shipping, I figured I would take the plunge before the price changes much more. I've also bought other Phottix products and everything has been very good quality, so I'm comfortable sticking with them.

Dale

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 09, 2015 16:05 |  #25

Spats139 wrote in post #17662304 (external link)
The price was definitely an "ouch" point, but with how much I already have into the Odin triggers (which have performed without a single miss), and finding a store in Calgary that was offering free shipping, I figured I would take the plunge before the price changes much more. I've also bought other Phottix products and everything has been very good quality, so I'm comfortable sticking with them.

Hi, I also have an Odin setup for my Canon Speedlites - they have been flawless - I'm not tempted to change those for anything. But I think I'm going with a Jinbei HD 600 V just as soon as I can pin down a satisfactory UK source. I plan to trigger it from my Odin TCU or Mitros + Plus, but saving a little more by using a Strato II Rx for the Jinbei. I know that a Strato II Rx obeys the early trigger timing from the Odin TCU when the latter has HS set. The TRS-V will stay in my pocket for power fraction adjustment only.

mpstan
299 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 09, 2015 17:28 |  #26

MalVeauX, or anyone else:

I may not want to wait for the Rovelight to come back down. As far as my needs.......... would like to get close to overpowering the sun, preferably wide open. External batteries don't bother me. I'm not a professional, so packing around an extra battery pack is very tolerable. I probably should have gone for the Rovelight before it went up......... but that's life.

So......... of the strobes you listed, what do you think of an AB1600 for me, possibly pared with a PCB 49" Octa? Does anyone happen to know if my Yongnuo 622C triggers would work on an AB, or do they usually come with some sort of trigger? Does anyone know if I can run my shutter speed up to the flash duration before I start running into problems?

Thanks gentlemen

5D Mk 3/// Canon 70-200 f/4L /// Canon 24mm 2.8 ///Sigma 85 1.4 ART ///Sigma 35 1.4 ART/// Godox AD360/// Flashpoint Li-Ion x 2

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,325 posts
Gallery: 1715 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 09, 2015 19:50 |  #27

mpstan wrote in post #17662589 (external link)
MalVeauX, or anyone else:

I may not want to wait for the Rovelight to come back down. As far as my needs.......... would like to get close to overpowering the sun, preferably wide open. External batteries don't bother me. I'm not a professional, so packing around an extra battery pack is very tolerable. I probably should have gone for the Rovelight before it went up......... but that's life.

So......... of the strobes you listed, what do you think of an AB1600 for me, possibly pared with a PCB 49" Octa? Does anyone happen to know if my Yongnuo 622C triggers would work on an AB, or do they usually come with some sort of trigger? Does anyone know if I can run my shutter speed up to the flash duration before I start running into problems?

Thanks gentlemen

Heya,

The important question is... what's your total budget?

(This is the light, battery pack, LIGHT STAND, and modifiers, and if you have triggers, or if you need them).

You can over power the sun with a 360ws strobe at relatively close range at F2.8 pretty fine. I do it with a 600Ws at F2.8 because I can do that at 5~6 feet away at 1/4th power through a 48" octa that has an inner baffle and an outer surface (losing some stops of light) without breaking a sweat on the Rovelight.

But again, the question is... cost.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mdaddyrabbit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 11, 2015 14:42 |  #28

My Rovelight came today! I am excited!!!

Website (external link)

CANON

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 17, 2015 17:06 as a reply to  @ mdaddyrabbit's post |  #29

Rovelight is on sale this afternoon fore $480 Bowens mount, I had to pull the trigger!

mpstan
299 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 17, 2015 23:20 |  #30

digitalduck wrote in post #17672766 (external link)
Rovelight is on sale this afternoon fore $480 Bowens mount, I had to pull the trigger!

That's funny, I pulled the trigger yesterday on a used Jinbei 600-HD, no warranty, lightly used yada yada. Figures Adorama would drop their price. Just to annoy me probably.

Plan to pick up a PCB 47 Octa with a Bowen adapting plate to go along with it.

Good luck Duck

sponsored links

7,675 views & 3 likes for this thread
ROVELIGHT 600 POLL
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.