Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Aug 2015 (Wednesday) 07:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

creating composites

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2015 07:56 |  #1

i'm about to embark on a photo project that will involve photographing a subject and then placing them on a scene that i take elsewhere. it easier to light the subject in studio and then place them onto a photograph that I take myself.

i plan to match the lighting as best i can so that the composite looks as natural as possible.

my issue is that whenever i have tried to do this in the past, it still looks like a cutout.

what are the best techniques in Photoshop for isolating a selection (i usually use refine edge) as well as the preferred choice of backdrop color or lighting considerations to aid in the selection process.

thanks in advance.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2015 08:26 |  #2

The cleanest cutout can be achieved with an evenly lit bright green backdrop, that's also sufficiently distant from the subject so as not to spill green light onto it.

Additionally, make sure that the entire subject is in sharp focus, as you can always add DoF as a post-effect, but blurry edges are hard to mask cleanly.

If you really want to be thorough, assuming your subject is an inanimate object, you can photograph it with lighting from multiple angles, and stack them to blend the lighting as you see fit, just in case your studio lighting didn't exactly match the scene.

If you can deal with a more hands-on approach, photograph a matte gray sphere in the scene you'll be putting the subject in, and use that as a visual reference of how light would have affected the subject if it were there. Light and shadow often have different color and temperature from each other, and an artificially placed subject will appear fake if the lighting isn't consistent.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 12, 2015 08:38 |  #3

wow, those are some great suggestions!

fwiw, my subjects will be human, children to be exact.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

PhotosGuy
75,776 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 12, 2015 08:38 |  #4

Are you using Layer Masks? Some links in this might help:
Need to remove a background from something?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. (2 edits in all)

Aug 12, 2015 09:16 |  #5

mike_311 wrote in post #17666019 (external link)
my subjects will be human, children to be exact.

Sorry to hear that ;)

In that case, try to keep your lighting fairly diffuse, so that you can always dodge/burn the results more to your liking later, rather than having to deal with sharp highlights and shadows that are too baked into the skin to smooth out.

Needless to say, do at least capture the subject lit from a couple of angles so that you don't later end up with a photo where the sun is on the right, but your key was on the left.

If you don't have or want a green screen, you can simply gel your lights green against a white BG, but the saturation may not be quite as high. If your subject comes wearing green, keep that in mind too, in which case switch for a blue backdrop/gels.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 12, 2015 10:42 |  #6

Photographing your background elements first may be a good idea so you can take careful note of the light angles and how things are actually working in the scene, then use a stand in model to test your lighting setup to ensure it matches, and then photograph the primary subject. This is of course, assuming that you don't have complete control over the lighting of your background scene.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2015 11:17 |  #7

Also pay attention to the perspective of the background and the subjects. Due to perspective differences in the background shot and the subject shot, feet are hard to composite - even a slight difference in perspective or shadowing will make the composite look unnatural or cutout.

Some composite artists will use less than full-length shots, or put fog or other effects around the feet, thus avoiding the "feet" problem altogether.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

dilleyo725
43 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 12, 2015 11:36 |  #8

You might be interested in checking this photographer's work. He does some amazing composites with his kids. From what I've seen of his BTS, he shoots on grey backdrops. I think the key is the prep work, i.e., planning the shoot, matching lighting w/ planned composite. Also post work...making a good selection of the subject, adding shadows so it doesn't look "cut out", color grading to unify all images used. Youtube Joel Grimes or Phlearn and they all have that in common plus more.

http://www.johnwilhelm​.ch/ (external link)

~Chris
http://www.chrischuaph​otography.com (external link)
@chrischua725

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 20, 2015 16:08 |  #9

There's alot in post you can learn, but first I wouldnt light them in the studio, Id light outside in your location, That lighting would be a much closer match, especially of youre not good in PS.

eventsof1768
652 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2010

Aug 21, 2015 05:55 |  #10

try to keep lighting the same

keep the angle of the camera the same - if angle of the camera is pointed downwards in the bg its best to do something similar for the subject

learn how to cut people out in photoshop with masks, and use 'refine mask' to refine the selection

make sure you also cut out the shadow too, composites without shadows when a shadow is meant to be visible looks fake. use blending modes to make shadow look natural

use clipping masks with curves/levels/hue saturation/colour balance to match the subject to the bg - look at colour temp, exposure, contrast, saturation

instagram (external link)
onwhite photography (external link)
facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
creating composites
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.