Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 28 Jul 2015 (Tuesday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D2 vs 1D4

PCousins
823 posts
Gallery: 463 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by PCousins.

Aug 21, 2015 09:56 |  #16

I was so very fortunate to be allowed to trial for a day both the 1d4 and 7d2 yesterday. Although being a dull grey day I was determined to get out and make the most of these wonderful camera's with my lenses. This was my opportunity to decide which one to go for.

Which one I would choose would replace my 3 year old 7d mk1. ?

The 1d4 was a breeze to use as I am so familiar with the 1ds3 FF which I have owned for 4 years and is identical in set-up. The 7d2 I needed to refer to the handbook as I found it different to the 7d1.

I first tried my 200mm f/2.....Oh wow, using both camera's just seemed to bring my images alive. Then the 400 DO.......Fantastic....​.......My first thoughts were why didn't I make the camera body change ages ago. Well It was all a matter of money and not being able to afford the change. Still I'd saved up and was ready for the investment. I managed only briefly to try also my 85L2 and 135L. No time for my other lenses.

I do not want to go into the Loves and dislikes of both camera's. There are many members who reading this would question my criticism's.

What I can say who ever is in the same position as me on either to choose the 1d4 or 7d2 they are both Wonderful camera's and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I loved them both.

My decision was the 1d4. Why????? Well it came down to the basics,....The 1d4 just felt right in the hand, It was the familiarity of the set-up which I was so use to. The 1.6 Crop of the 7d2 was almost the convincing decision, however 1.3 I can live with.

What helped make my decision was the fantastic deal I got on an immaculate body. The Camera boxed with unused cables and unused strap and all documentation as can be seen in the image. In the UK the used prices are higher than that in the USA. I payed £1175 with 43,000 shutter actuations and believe I got a fantastic deal. I am absolutely thrilled with my 1d4.

I do hope that for others who have the same decision to make can have the opportunity like I did to be able to try both bodies.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

sponsored links
PCousins
823 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 21, 2015 09:58 |  #17

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,620 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by John Sheehy.

Aug 21, 2015 10:23 |  #18

Edits: blue is new text in edit; red is incorrect original text.

rdalrt wrote in post #17650805 (external link)
Good call IMHO.

Unless the OP is always filling his frame with his desired composition, I would call it a very poor decision.

Otherwise, why in the world would you want another big-pixel camera if you already have two?

The 7D2 gives less noise and more resolution than the 1D4 in focal-length-limited situations, has more advanced AF, and shoots bursts 25% faster - sorry, I didn't realize that the 1D4 did 10 fps. It also has EC in auto-ISO-M mode. It puts many more pixels on subject at the limit of AF (f/8); putting a TC on a camera with larger pixels to compensate loses AF ability or speed.

I fear that many people make such a decision in a state of illusion, by comparing the sharpness and noise at 100% pixel views, which have nothing directly to do with getting your subject's final display size. Even people who seem otherwise intelligent often seem to fall prey to this 1:1 pixel view optical illusion.

I have a 6D and a 7D2. Even if the 6D (which already has less noise than the 1D4 in both full-FOV and focal-length-limited situations) could magically obtain the AF, burst speed, and shutter delay of the 1D4, I would still use the 7D2 for anything that didn't fill a FF FOV.

Before I had the 7D2, I used to bring the 6D along with me when shooting birds in case I got into situations where I might need ISOs above 3200; I was willing to take the resolution loss for lower noise. No such benefit with the 7D2; the 7D2 has about the same noise quantity as a 1.6x crop from the 6D at high ISOs, less at low ISOs, and the 7D2's noise seems to be a tad more random (not that the 6D's is bad compared to most other Canons, especially older ones).

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,620 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 21, 2015 10:28 |  #19

PCousins wrote in post #17650875 (external link)
Yes The right decision, I hope to replace my 7D with the 1D4 soon.

The 7D and 7D2 are two completely different cameras. The 7D2 has a stop less read noise, as measured, at high ISOs, and even better than that because the noise is much less banded. The 7D2 also does AF a stop slower, at f/8.

Choosing between a 7D and a 1D4 is a completely different thing than choosing between a 7D2 and a 1D4. The 1D4 is better than the 7D at everything except focal-length-limited resolution, and it allows AF with an extra 1.4x TC to compensate for the lower pixel density. It is not better than the 7D2 at a number of things.

PCousins
823 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 21, 2015 11:02 |  #20

John Sheehy wrote in post #17677576 (external link)
It is not better than the 7D2 at a number of things.

I did not say the 1d4 is better than the 7d2 at a number of things. I clearly said "they are both Wonderful camera's and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I loved them both."

I chose the 1d4 over the 7d2 only because the good price deal I got on the 1d4 and the ease of use of the 1d4 as it is very similar to my 1ds3. I would not put the 7d2 down at all because there is no reason to..... it clearly is a much better camera than my 7d1 and is probably better than my now recent 1d4 purchase. I only had the day with the 2 camera bodies to make a decision and I felt more at home with the 1d4.

John you made the right choice to purchase the 7d2 for the reasons you gave but they were not my priorities on the day.

Gear List

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by tmalone893.

Aug 21, 2015 11:03 |  #21

John Sheehy wrote in post #17677570 (external link)
Unless the OP is always filling his frame with his desired composition, I would call it a very poor decision.

Otherwise, why in the world would you want another big-pixel camera if you already have two?

The 7D2 gives less noise and more resolution than the 1D4 in focal-length-limited situations, has more advanced AF, and shoots bursts 25% faster. It also has EC in auto-ISO-M mode. It puts many more pixels on subject at the limit of AF (f/8); putting a TC on a camera with larger pixels to compensate loses

I fear that many people make such a decision in a state of illusion, by comparing the sharpness and noise at 100% pixel views, which have nothing directly to do with getting your subject's final display size. Even people who seem otherwise intelligent often seem to fall prey to this 1:1 pixel view optical illusion.

I have a 6D and a 7D2. Even if the 6D (which already has less noise than the 1D4 in both full-FOV and focal-length-limited situations) could magically obtain the AF, burst speed, and shutter delay of the 1D4, I would still use the 7D2 for anything that didn't fill a FF FOV.

Before I had the 7D2, I used to bring the 6D along with me when shooting birds in case I got into situations where I might need ISOs above 3200; I was willing to take the resolution loss for lower noise. No such benefit with the 7D2; the 7D2 has about the same noise quantity as a 1.6x crop from the 6D at high ISOs, less at low ISOs, and the 7D2's noise seems to be a tad more random (not that the 6D's is bad compared to most other Canons, especially older ones).

Well considering he wanted it for a sports camera, how is it bad? In the sports world, we shoot tight and crop tighter;-)a We aren't talking focal-length limited situations. rdalrt stated "IMHO" I'm sure the 7D2 is a great camera, I had the 7D and loved it until I shot a FF camera, and will get a 1Dx one day soon. It has focal-length limited situations also, so is the 7D2 better then it also? I'm just pulling on your chain a little. As they say, the best camera is the one you have at the moment with you. Cheers:lol:

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,657 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 21, 2015 17:13 |  #22

John Sheehy wrote in post #17677570 (external link)

... and shoots bursts 25% faster. It also has EC in auto-ISO-M mode.

I don't disagree with your comment about filling the frame. But one rule of sports shooting, is "shoot tight, crop tighter". Of course, this means having long enough glass to do this. I CAN see a potential benefit to the 7DII IF you are focal length limited.

Not sure what you mean by the 7D2 shoots bursts 25% faster? Both are 10 fps cameras.

I agree the lack of EC in auto-ISO-M mode is disappointing. But there is a sort of work around for that, that I have been using for years. The 1D4 has AE micro-adjust. So, I usually set the AE micro-adjust to +1/3 to +5/8 of a stop, and just shoot in manual using auto ISO. I have the AE micro-adjust at the top of the my menu list in case I need to change it quickly. Yes, it is a couple more button pushes to change it, but can be done reasonably quickly once you get the hang of using it. Still not as nice as true EC in auto ISO, but works well enough for me on the 1D4.

And one other big reason I like and prefer the 1D bodies over the 7D bodies has nothing to do with pixels, or noise, or AF. The reason is handling and ergonomics. Personally I find the 1D bodies much easier to make adjustments on the fly quickly without having to take my eye away. All the important buttons are right where I need them to be. Maybe this is just because I have been using 1D bodies almost exclusively for so long. I don't know if the ergonomics on the 7D2 are just as good as the 1D bodies as I have not used a 7D2 for more than a few minutes while playing with one.

My final reason for recommending 1D4 over 7D2 comes from the couple fellows I shoot sports with here fairly regularly that have both a 1D4 and 7D2. Both of them love both cameras for what they can do and offer. But when pressed about which one they would choose if they had to keep only one, without hesitation they both say it would be the 1D4.

I don't say choosing a 7D2 is a bad or poor decision, just that my preference and recommendation is for the 1D4.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 21, 2015 17:48 |  #23

John Sheehy - Firstly I respect your opinions and you experience, but I would have to disagree with you on PC's choice of camera.

Having used the 7D2 a fair bit, though I have yet to submit it to very detailed tests, and having owned the 1D4 for quite a while - I would take a 1D4 in a heartbeat. I agree that there is a "Reach" advantage with the 7D2, but it is small, very small. The AF on the 1D4 is more reliable (why I didn't but a 7D2) especially on more difficult subjects. I am a lazy git and found the high ISO noise of the 1D4 much easier to control in PP and find the 1D4 to be a faster and more responsive camera on the Canon SuperTele lenses.

I was a little surprised at your comments on the resolution of the 6D. I don't have one but I do currently use the "Pixel Desert" namely the 1DX. I was a little concerned at the loss of reach when I bought this camera (I should say that for most of my photography reach is everything - probably why my main/most used lens is the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS). Well I was VERY surprised when I found that, although I lost a lot of pixels, the greater resolution of a few big pixels allows fairly silly crops and good prints at A3. If cropping is not too silly then A2 is no problem - if I don't crop then my friend will have to buy a larger printer!

I am not knocking the 7D2, that would be silly as it is simply the best APSC camera on the market, but from my experience (for the sort of photography PC does) the 1D4 is simply a better option.

Just my 2p.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 21, 2015 19:24 |  #24

great discussion guys.

I'm still on the fence but I'll fall over to one side eventually.

Comments based on first hand experience is super valuable.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,058 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by FarmerTed1971.

Aug 21, 2015 19:32 |  #25

I've never touched a 1D4 but I can tell you I love my new 7D2! I opted for it over the 1D because it is new tech, shares the same battery as my 6D and I got 12MO financing at Best Buy.

I shot some adult soap box derby last week and it did a great job. The focus is extremely fast.

If I feel like I need more purchase I'll get a grip but I doubt I will because I bought one for my 6D and very rarely use it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,766 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (11 edits in all)

Aug 25, 2015 13:19 |  #26

johnf3f wrote in post #17678013 (external link)
John Sheehy - Firstly I respect your opinions and you experience, but I would have to disagree with you on PC's choice of camera.

Having used the 7D2 a fair bit, though I have yet to submit it to very detailed tests, and having owned the 1D4 for quite a while - I would take a 1D4 in a heartbeat. I agree that there is a "Reach" advantage with the 7D2, but it is small, very small. The AF on the 1D4 is more reliable (why I didn't but a 7D2) especially on more difficult subjects. I am a lazy git and found the high ISO noise of the 1D4 much easier to control in PP and find the 1D4 to be a faster and more responsive camera on the Canon SuperTele lenses.

I was a little surprised at your comments on the resolution of the 6D. I don't have one but I do currently use the "Pixel Desert" namely the 1DX. I was a little concerned at the loss of reach when I bought this camera (I should say that for most of my photography reach is everything - probably why my main/most used lens is the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS). Well I was VERY surprised when I found that, although I lost a lot of pixels, the greater resolution of a few big pixels allows fairly silly crops and good prints at A3. If cropping is not too silly then A2 is no problem - if I don't crop then my friend will have to buy a larger printer!

I am not knocking the 7D2, that would be silly as it is simply the best APSC camera on the market, but from my experience (for the sort of photography PC does) the 1D4 is simply a better option.

Just my 2p.

I have shot extensively with the 1D4, and recently picked up a 7D2.

Points noted on the 7D2:
- In camera JPG is much better than the 1D4
- Shadow noise is cleaner than the 1D4 when pulled > 1 stop
- Normal noise at various higher ISOs seems to be very, very close to the 1D4
- AF points are spread across better on the 7D2 over the 1D4
- The 7D2 has more AF modes, and especially spot AF, that the 1D4 only has with a few lenses
- The LCD display in the viewfinder is great with the overlay option, and level indicator on the 7D2, something again the 1D4 doesn't have
- Auto ISO with EC and different configurations around min. shutter, min aperture, etc that the 1D4 doesn't have
- GPS/Compass
- Better live view/video modes and control and performance, more usable lenses like EFS STM lenses for quiet video recording
- Better low light acquisition, the 1D4 had a host of issues around this in the past, including the one I had
- Interval timer is nice, I am not sure I will use it
- Driving lenses to focus seems faster on the 7D2, others have noted this as well
- The AF lever around the joystick is nice
- Can have multiple My Menu tabs, basically move only those options you ever use over there instead of going through a ton of menus
- Eyefi settings menu which is nice when running the EyeFi SD
- Flicker control, but haven't had time to delve into this at all

- cannot tie metering to the AF point, a pretty big deal with doing sports.... or I cannot figure out how to do it
- battery life is longer on 1D4
- 1D4 is more balanced with longer larger lenses like the Sigma 50-500 OS
- LCD viewfinders still have the issues when trying to see what point is focusing during very low light shooting, like the 5D3 and 7D
- 1D4 is built like a tank
- Dual slots like the 1D4 so that is good

The 7D2 is a very good lower cost replacement to the 1D4, but as the 1D4 drops to the $1300-1500 range, the decisions might be more difficult. If you have a 5D3, the 7D2 is a great sibling due to very similar ergos and shared batteries/cards. These observations are only after a week of ownership. Once the NBA season starts, I will compare to my 5D3. The 5D performed spectacularly last year, no AF issues, burst speeds were good enough, etc, as did the 1D4 the past couple of years.

ISO 12800 on the 7D2
https://teamspeed.smug​mug.com …sts/n-JfWchB/i-QkcxM4n/X2 (external link)

Decently cropped image from boats at high speeds (120-150mph) using Sigma, did quite well at tracking using right most AF points, good detail

IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Scenic-Moments/i-kbDkSL5/0/X2/216A9621-X2.jpg

As to the crop factor, it is almost like adding a 1.4x to the 1D4. Here is what that 30% gets you, just imagine this is a bird, that 30% extra detail in both dimensions comes in handy. I don't consider this "reach factor" to be very very small, but rather actually quite substantial depending on what you are shooting, both subject-wise and lens-wise. The only thing I would say here is you could indeed resize a 1D4 up by 30% on the long end with little degradation in IQ, at least with some post processing, and get nearly the same result, so in that regard, perhaps your statement has more validity.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,598 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 25, 2015 13:55 |  #27

Copidosoma wrote in post #17670309 (external link)
I don't believe I'm in this situation too. 7DII vs 1D IV

I'm so heavily leaning with 1DIV. Had a desire to own that one since it came out. But, posts like the one above screw with my brain.

I've had the 7D "classic" and loved it alot (even with the noise limitations).

But, for a dedicated wildlife camera (and possibly a trip to Africa next year) I'm on the fence right now.

At least I have a few months to think about it.

7D2 and 7D are very different beasts. It's like comparing 1D2 and 1D4.

Also, next time I am in Africa, I suspect I will pack both :) (and maybe a 5D3?)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,019 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2015 17:02 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17682530 (external link)
I have shot extensively with the 1D4, and recently picked up a 7D2.

Points noted on the 7D2:
- In camera JPG is much better than the 1D4
- Shadow noise is cleaner than the 1D4 when pulled > 1 stop
- Normal noise at various higher ISOs seems to be very, very close to the 1D4
- AF points are spread across better on the 7D2 over the 1D4
- The 7D2 has more AF modes, and especially spot AF, that the 1D4 only has with a few lenses
- The LCD display in the viewfinder is great with the overlay option, and level indicator on the 7D2, something again the 1D4 doesn't have
- Auto ISO with EC and different configurations around min. shutter, min aperture, etc that the 1D4 doesn't have
- GPS/Compass
- Better live view/video modes and control and performance, more usable lenses like EFS STM lenses for quiet video recording
- Better low light acquisition, the 1D4 had a host of issues around this in the past, including the one I had
- Interval timer is nice, I am not sure I will use it
- Driving lenses to focus seems faster on the 7D2, others have noted this as well
- The AF lever around the joystick is nice
- Can have multiple My Menu tabs, basically move only those options you ever use over there instead of going through a ton of menus
- Eyefi settings menu which is nice when running the EyeFi SD
- Flicker control, but haven't had time to delve into this at all

- cannot tie metering to the AF point, a pretty big deal with doing sports.... or I cannot figure out how to do it
- battery life is longer on 1D4
- 1D4 is more balanced with longer larger lenses like the Sigma 50-500 OS
- LCD viewfinders still have the issues when trying to see what point is focusing during very low light shooting, like the 5D3 and 7D
- 1D4 is built like a tank
- Dual slots like the 1D4 so that is good

The 7D2 is a very good lower cost replacement to the 1D4, but as the 1D4 drops to the $1300-1500 range, the decisions might be more difficult. If you have a 5D3, the 7D2 is a great sibling due to very similar ergos and shared batteries/cards. These observations are only after a week of ownership. Once the NBA season starts, I will compare to my 5D3. The 5D performed spectacularly last year, no AF issues, burst speeds were good enough, etc, as did the 1D4 the past couple of years.

ISO 12800 on the 7D2
https://teamspeed.smug​mug.com …sts/n-JfWchB/i-QkcxM4n/X2 (external link)

Decently cropped image from boats at high speeds (120-150mph) using Sigma, did quite well at tracking using right most AF points, good detail
QUOTED IMAGE

As to the crop factor, it is almost like adding a 1.4x to the 1D4. Here is what that 30% gets you, just imagine this is a bird, that 30% extra detail in both dimensions comes in handy. I don't consider this "reach factor" to be very very small, but rather actually quite substantial depending on what you are shooting, both subject-wise and lens-wise. The only thing I would say here is you could indeed resize a 1D4 up by 30% on the long end with little degradation in IQ, at least with some post processing, and get nearly the same result, so in that regard, perhaps your statement has more validity.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=176​82530&i=i182538430
forum: Camera Vs. Camera

Wow that's a VERY comprehensive post - I guess you are a fan of the 7D2!

Of the 16 plus points (in favour of the 7D2) that you note 12 are irrelevant or of little importance for the shooting that I do, for example the improved JPEG quality/video features. I don't use JPEGs and don't even know how to turn the video on. Your statement that the 7D2 drives lenses faster than the 1D4 is the exact opposite of what I found, what lenses were you using? I haven't tried the 7D2 on many lenses but between my Canon 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and 800 F5.6 L IS plus (other peoples) 500 F4 L IS Mk1 and 2, 600 F4 L IS and 200-400 F4 L IS it didn't seem as quick to me. Though on a friends 300 F2.8 L IS Mk2 I would call it a draw.

I totally agree that the EC in Manual with Auto ISO is a VERY significant advantage of the 7D2 - this feature would significantly improve the 1D4!

I haven't tried the (very) low light AF performance of the 7D2 though I agree that the 1D4 can get sketchy here, however one is unlikely to get worthwhile shots with either camera at the light levels where the AF degrades on the 1D4.

I cannot compare the "Reach" advantage to my 1D4 as I sold it a while ago though I have had a quick play comparing it to my current 1DX. Yes there is definitely a reach advantage to the 7D2 but it doesn't appear anywhere near as much as you suggest compared to my full frame "Pixel Desert".

Whilst I have used 7D2 cameras quite a bit they have all been borrowed and I have not had the opportunity to really ring them out properly. I have primarily been using them on live (moving) subjects in real world situations as I am looking for a backup camera - I hate just having one camera. I was left with the impression that the 1D4 was the better option due to it's more solid AF performance, in my opinion, better handling and ISO performance (marginal). The owners of 2 of the 7D2 cameras that I tries also run the 1D4 and 1DX bodies. One was quite happy with it and, although he preferred the 1D4, he liked the 7D2 for it's light weight when he wasn't on paid jobs. The other has sent his 7D2 back to Canon, there was nothing wrong with it - he had it to test (he tests quite a bit ofgear for Canon) but stated that it wasn't up to his needs though it was very good.

Teanspeed you obviously like the 7D2 - and why shouldn't you! It's a great camera! It is just that, so far, I have found that for me the 1D4 is better - slightly. My reply that you quoted was in response to John Sheehy's comment regarding the purchase of a 1D4 by P Cousins. For the sort of photography that PC does I firmly believe that he made the right decision with the 1D4, which was my point.

Please feel free to disagree/contribute further I won't take it personally. These are only MY observations from what I have used, you have different ideas that's fine that is what these forums are for!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,766 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 25, 2015 17:18 |  #29

All valid points! :)

Regarding reach, the 7D2 gives you a 1.3x over the 1D4 and 1.6x over the FF, regarding FOV. How that plays into your shots is purely on a case by case basis.

The AF drive is with the 70-200 II, and others have noticed similar behavior on a handful of various Canon white lenses. I am not sure which ones though.

My 1D4 was notoriously bad at AI Servo AF in low light, and certainly not low enough to be poor shots. I have a documented thread on this somewhere. I sent mine in, and it came back a little better, but I and others had noted issues with the 1D4 low light AF, and not as low as you might think. The 1D3 was clearly superior to the 1D4 in low light AF, but the 6D, 5D3, and 7D2 now do better. It was also lens-specific, with 3rd party lenses doing miserably on the 1D4. I never encountered that issue with the 5D3, or now the 7D2.

I love the 1D4, but cannot afford 3 bodies, the 5D3 and 7D2 are made for each other, and this NBA season will tell the tale I hope. I shoot various sports and the 5d3 works very well, I never worried about the FPS rate of the 5D3. The 7D2, if it performs identically, will be icing on the cake. I keep hearing about the 5D3 just isn't great for sports, and I think folks get lost in the AF options/tuning that exist, Having a 5d3 and a 6D, coupled with a 1D4, is asking for a bit of trouble as their controls are quite a bit different from each other, and you cannot share batteries, etc. But the decision was made, so it is all water under the bridge. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,019 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2015 17:50 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17682839 (external link)
All valid points! :)

Regarding reach, the 7D2 gives you a 1.3x over the 1D4 and 1.6x over the FF, regarding FOV. How that plays into your shots is purely on a case by case basis.

The AF drive is with the 70-200 II, and others have noticed similar behavior on a handful of various Canon white lenses. I am not sure which ones though.

My 1D4 was notoriously bad at AI Servo AF in low light, and certainly not low enough to be poor shots. I have a documented thread on this somewhere. I sent mine in, and it came back a little better, but I and others had noted issues with the 1D4 low light AF, and not as low as you might think. The 1D3 was clearly superior to the 1D4 in low light AF, but the 6D, 5D3, and 7D2 now do better.

I love the 1D4, but cannot afford 3 bodies, the 5D3 and 7D2 are made for each other, and this NBA season will tell the tale I hope. I shoot various sports and the 5d3 works very well, I never worried about the FPS rate of the 5D3. The 7D2, if it performs identically, will be icing on the cake. I keep hearing about the 5D3 just isn't great for sports, and I think folks get lost in the AF options/tuning that exist, Having a 5d3 and a 6D, coupled with a 1D4, is asking for a bit of trouble as their controls are quite a bit different from each other, and you cannot share batteries, etc. But the decision was made, so it is all water under the bridge. :D

I haven't tried the 70-200 F2.8 Mk2 on anything! This is simply because I just don't use it's range - I sold my 70-200 F2.8 Mk1 when it was 7 years old, the buyer thought it was new - effectively it was! Don't get me wrong about the 7D2 AF - I found it very good but, in my hands, the 1D4 was better - just.
My 1D4 wasn't stellar in the AF department when the light dropped though it sounds like it was a lot better than your example. Mine was fine for indoor sports with poor lighting (though this is not my thing) but it would fail to focus before my old 5D gave up.

I agree the differences in the camera controls are very important for any action shooting and that has to be considered alongside other features. Like you I don't feel that the FPS of the 5D3 is a big handicap, you have to be a bit sharper with your timing but then there are far less images to delete! I never ran my 1D4 at full speed and now with the 1DX I get better results at 10 rather than 12 fps, though I often use it at 6 fps it just depends on the subject.

I like your comment about not being able to afford 3 bodies. I went a bit bonkers and bought the 1DX, don't get me wrong I am simply delighted with it, but it means that I have 1 DSLR and that's it! If it needs to be sent in then I am back to film.

As regards reach - this is a personal thing. I don't like cropping much. To me cropping is a composition tool rather than a reach tool but there are situations where there is no alternative! I have posted these before but, for illustration, I have attached a couple of images (straight from the camera (Standard mode in RAW) that have been scaled for the web. Obviously they are better processed! The first is the full frame as captured and the second is an arbitary crop just to see what happened! They are just to illustrate the "crop-ability" of the 1DX - I am sure your 5D3 would do something similar.
All the best!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

10,206 views & 16 likes for this thread
7D2 vs 1D4
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.