Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Aug 2015 (Thursday) 21:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

More RAM possible using Windows 10?

RickFL
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 20, 2015 21:53 |  #1

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 Home 64 bit. Using Windows 7, I believe I was only able to use up to 8 MB of RAM. But now 10 supports up to 128 MB of RAM for my version of the software. Is this correct?

More importantly, is the amount of RAM your computer recognizes entirely dependent on the software you are running, or are there hardware limitations?

I only have 6 MB of RAM currently and would love to at least double that, or add even more if possible. I was previously told that I could only go up to 8 MB when I called a computer shop inquired about adding more when I was running Windows 7. They asked me for my HP desktop model # and then told me I was capped at 8.

Sorry for such a dumb question. Thanks everyone.

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

sponsored links
Nogo
World Record Holding Most Boring Commenter
7,376 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 20, 2015 22:16 |  #2

The limitation of your computer was not the operating system. The limit is likely due to the build of the motherboard.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

-dave-m-
490 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by -dave-m-.

Aug 20, 2015 23:06 |  #3

The amount of RAM can be limited by Operating System, Motherboard or Processor. Windows 7 Home Basic 64 does indeed have an 8GB limit. Home Premium 64 has a 16GB limit. Any 32 bit OS is limited to 4GB(4GB virtual address space limitation of a 32-bit OS, there is more to it than this but up to you to research it if interested). Windows 10 Home 64 has a limit of 128GB. You would have to check on what your motherboard and processor can support.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 20, 2015 23:35 |  #4

what in photo (or video?) editing would ever take up 128GB of RAM? Not trolling, really curious. I can't quite imagine PS working faster with that much RAM, I doubt it would use it?

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,280 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (5 edits in all)

Aug 20, 2015 23:44 |  #5

Windows 10 limits are not published yet as far as I know, but the all around assumption is that they will be the same as the comparable versions of Windows 8.

Windows 8 64bit (and likely Windows 10) base is 128GB, and all other versions can go up to 512GB

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate, Professional or Enterprise all have upper RAM limits of 192GB
(yes, it's an odd number)
Windows 7 Home basic was only 8GB and Premium was 16GB

Windows Server 2008 R2 & 2003 R2 can go up to 2TB

And even tired old XP 64 can do 128GB

You can find the limits for all windows versions here;
https://msdn.microsoft​.com …l_memory_limits​_windows_8 (external link)

Not many home users could make much use of that much RAM, but I must say I am pretty happy with the 32GB installed in my new Win7 pro machine :)

For most all motherboards with intel cpus other than server boards, your physical limit will be 32GB (4x 8GB sticks in the four DIMM slots on the vast majority of mother boards.)

for more than 32GB you will need to get a server/workstation board (usually with DUAL CPU sockets) and then you can also bump up the DIMM slots to 8 or more slots.

Again. all very costly, and not much use to the average (or even high end) photo editor.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,280 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 20, 2015 23:56 |  #6

phantelope wrote in post #17677150 (external link)
what in photo (or video?) editing would ever take up 128GB of RAM? Not trolling, really curious. I can't quite imagine PS working faster with that much RAM, I doubt it would use it?

You'd leave 32GB for system memory, and create one (or more) large RAM Drives for swap files. You'd be amazed how fast Photoshops histories etc would speed up with RAM speed scratch disks.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 21, 2015 00:00 |  #7

interesting idea. Nothing I've ever even considered or needed, but I didn't know you can set up a scratch disk in RAM. Not that I'm gonna run out and buy a machine with that much RAM, if I even think about that my wallet files for divorce and runs away, LOL

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,280 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Aug 21, 2015 00:14 |  #8

Back when I was running XP 64 with 64 bit CPUs before Intel had any, but Adobe was still writing only 32 bit software, Photoshop could only use about 3GB of RAM period.

But I had a system with a lot more RAM than 3GB. Thus, I used a RAM Drive to "cheat" the 32 bit Photoshop into using more than 3GB ram.

Worked a charm!

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=5018150

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Kolor-Pikker.

Aug 21, 2015 06:08 |  #9

phantelope wrote in post #17677150 (external link)

For photo and video, probably nothing... Even in after effects with 4K video and layers you'll be hard pressed to exceed 16GB, unless you extend the frame preview range so that you can scrub through more of the video at a time.

You do take a hit once you start running development tools, programmers often run virtual machines, IDEs and other diagnostic tools simultaneously and each one takes a nice chunk out of the system RAM. Once you have a dozen of them running and each one needs a few GB then you have a problem.

Another possible application is anything that deals with reading/writing large data sets like a server or ZFS-based NAS, but that's a whole other subject and you'd need ECC RAM for that anyway.

Of course, as Cyber said, you can also set up a RAM disk and use a chunk of RAM as ultra-fast local storage, although the volatile nature of RAM means that if you lose power then all the data will be lost. Probably not too big of a problem if you use it as scratch space, unless the scratch is also used as the crash recovery directory, in which case a BSOD would ruin your day more than usual.

RAM is never a bottleneck unless there isn't enough of it, and 16GB is easily enough for even the most memory-intensive tasks a typical PC user can muster. The speed of RAM is still increasing with some companies having now developed DDR4 4266 modules, but honestly it's so fast even at the base 2133 speed you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference, even in things like 7-zip which are heavily RAM-dependent.

When anyone asks, I usually reccomend the cheapest set of 8 or 16GB modules they can find a good deal for, anything else is usually a waste of money.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,533 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 21, 2015 10:43 |  #10

RickFL wrote in post #17677077 (external link)
I only have 6 MB of RAM currently and would love to at least double that, or add even more if possible. I was previously told that I could only go up to 8 MB when I called a computer shop inquired about adding more when I was running Windows 7.

You don't give us much to go on but an SSD is almost certain to yield a better performane than increased RAM. I am always amazed at the improved performance from an SSD.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 21, 2015 11:00 |  #11

interesting article came out a few days ago that says with win10, there is no difference or very, very little in perforce between 8gb and 16gb. i forget where i read it.

not sure how systems perform above 16gb compared with 8gb.

Photoshop was part of the test systems.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 21, 2015 13:04 |  #12

How much RAM can the various versions of Photoshop use?

Would increasing RAM beyond 32GB help when processing 200-500MP, 16-bit, multilayer (sometimes >100 layers) files?

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,190 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 21, 2015 13:21 |  #13

mike_311 wrote in post #17677619 (external link)
interesting article came out a few days ago that says with win10, there is no difference or very, very little in perforce between 8gb and 16gb. i forget where i read it.

not sure how systems perform above 16gb compared with 8gb.

Photoshop was part of the test systems.

Then less than 8GB was needed. Adding more RAM doesn't mean it would be faster unless the computer needs it. If you tossed in 32GB then there would (should) still be no difference.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

-dave-m-
490 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2015 13:50 |  #14

Shadowblade wrote in post #17677756 (external link)

Would increasing RAM beyond 32GB help when processing 200-500MP, 16-bit, multilayer (sometimes >100 layers) files?

64 bit CS4 and above can use as much RAM as your system can support.

Increasing RAM will only help if Photoshop was being forced to use a scratch disk. Faster RAM has shown very little performance benefit for photo editing and everyday PC use.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Kolor-Pikker.

Aug 21, 2015 13:54 |  #15

Shadowblade wrote in post #17677756 (external link)

That sounds pretty extreme, but chances are that if you're into doing something like that, you probably already know what you need.

200MP at 16bit uncompressed is 1144MB, now multiply that by layer count. On 32GB RAM you should be able to do about ~28 layers without the system resorting to trickery. You'd need 128GB for 100 layers.

But it depends on the nature of the layer, an adjustment later or mask costs almost nothing in terms of RAM, I'm talking about unique layers as if you stacked a bunch of random images one on top of another so that even compression can't come into play, which I believe is only a theoretical situation.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

2,833 views & 0 likes for this thread
More RAM possible using Windows 10?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.