Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2014 (Monday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STM Lenses.............

Anto ­ Modded
419 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 28, 2014 15:16 |  #1

my camera came with a 18 - 55 stm lense and its ok but its f4 - 5.6, id like something a litter better for doing video. just wondering do sigma do similar lenses that are as silent when focussing

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2014 15:21 |  #2

The 18-55 STM is f3.5-5.6.

You won't find a lens currently that is as silent when focusing that has a larger aperture, which camera are you using?

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2014 17:26 |  #3

STM lenses are pretty much silent, but anything with an ultrasonic type drive will be quiet.

Concern about lens motor noise means you're using AF while filming and using the onboard mic or a mic on the hotshoe that is very close to the lens, thus picking up the motor noise. I'm curious about your video setup?

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2014 17:53 |  #4

BrickR wrote in post #16867965 (external link)
STM lenses are pretty much silent, but anything with an ultrasonic type drive will be quiet.

Concern about lens motor noise means you're using AF while filming and using the onboard mic or a mic on the hotshoe that is very close to the lens, thus picking up the motor noise. I'm curious about your video setup?

To be honest, USM drives are not all that quiet during video AF. They make a pretty distinctive chattering noise that you can hear when there isn't much ambient noise. USM drives are also not variable speed like STM - but they do focus faster.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Apr 28, 2014 22:50 |  #5

Keyan wrote in post #16867677 (external link)
The 18-55 STM is f3.5-5.6.

You won't find a lens currently that is as silent when focusing that has a larger aperture, which camera are you using?

40mm f/2.8 STM?

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,877 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 30, 2014 12:13 |  #6

BrickR wrote in post #16867965 (external link)

For video use the STM lenses are quieter than Canon USM lenses. Mind you, I said quieter, not faster or better. They also work in conjuction with Canon's newer bodies like the 70D and 700D to provide smoother video auto focusing.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 30, 2014 19:57 |  #7

hiketheplanet wrote in post #16868701 (external link)
40mm f/2.8 STM?

The 40mm f/2.8 isn't all that silent.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Anto ­ Modded
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 22, 2015 14:02 |  #8

sorry for the over a year reply but its a 700d im using and yes its a 3.5 - 5.6.... im using autofocus some of the time and also the built in microphone. only starting to use the camera again the last few weeks. im still looking for an alternative lense. im shooting mountain biking and find the camera great. made my first propper attemt at a video last week using the camera and there is an enduro on in 2 weeks i want to try video but a lense with a little more distance would be nice. Any way here is my attempt at a video, its by far no way perfect but its a start.... https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=OuUqIUlVMl8 (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 23, 2015 12:55 |  #9

It was a little surprising to see a year old thread actually bumped by the OP, nice change of pace for a necrothread!

Anyways, back to your question, what are you unhappy with in that video that's attributed to the lens? If you're looking for something wider or longer, then there are cheap STM options avaliable in the 10-18 and the 55-250, but they are slow and have IS as well. The 40 is a good choice if you want something faster, but I'm not sure what you're needing something faster for in that video. If anything, the things that jump out at me is the under exposure of the subjects due to the very difficult lighting.

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 23, 2015 14:10 |  #10

hiketheplanet wrote in post #16868701 (external link)
40mm f/2.8 STM?

the 40mm and 24mm 2.8 STM are not exactly quiet. my 18-55 is silent but the other two not so much.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

Anto ­ Modded
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2015 18:22 |  #11

i was thinking of a longer range as with the 18 - 55 some positions where hard to achieve. lighting wasnt the best and i plan on a few more videos over the winter. nearly all of what i do will be in woods. that video was on a bright evening, im still very new to video even though my post is over a year long and ive been watching tutorials on video using a hdr. i also see in camera settings to set the picture style to near flat and sharpen and colour correct later. i had looked into the 18 - 135 stm lense, there doesnt seem to be a great range in the stm lense's. ive just to work on the exposure more also

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 23, 2015 18:26 |  #12

The only problem with my 18-55 STM is I do not use it enough. I end up using my 2.8 Sigma (17-50) because it's a little faster but it seems a bit soft.

mcoren
627 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Aug 23, 2015 19:51 |  #13

Anto, that video is great!

I make two observations which may be relevant to this discussion. One, you have your own soundtrack to the video, and a fittingly high-energy one at that. Honestly, I wasn't sure if you were even recording the sounds of the bikes until close to the end. And two, for most of the shots, the camera appears to be focused on a fixed point while the bikers come in and out of the frame.

If this is the style you expect to use going forward, i.e. overdubbed music and fixed camera focus, do you even need to be concerned about a little focusing chatter?

With the increased use of DSLRs for video, I'm willing to bet the independent lens manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron are looking into stepper motors and/or other less noisy technologies. Whether or not they ever put them in their lenses is anybody's guess. In the meantime, for your style of shooting, why not try out (i.e. rent or borrow) some of the non-STM lenses that interest you? That way you can see first hand if you think the focusing noise will cause you problems.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 23, 2015 20:59 |  #14

Anto Modded wrote in post #17680240 (external link)
i was thinking of a longer range as with the 18 - 55 some positions where hard to achieve. lighting wasnt the best and i plan on a few more videos over the winter. nearly all of what i do will be in woods. that video was on a bright evening, im still very new to video even though my post is over a year long and ive been watching tutorials on video using a hdr. i also see in camera settings to set the picture style to near flat and sharpen and colour correct later. i had looked into the 18 - 135 stm lense, there doesnt seem to be a great range in the stm lense's. ive just to work on the exposure more also

Then I think the 55-250 stm is your answer.

Anto ­ Modded
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 24, 2015 18:25 |  #15

mcoren wrote in post #17680341 (external link)
Anto, that video is great!

I make two observations which may be relevant to this discussion. One, you have your own soundtrack to the video, and a fittingly high-energy one at that. Honestly, I wasn't sure if you were even recording the sounds of the bikes until close to the end. And two, for most of the shots, the camera appears to be focused on a fixed point while the bikers come in and out of the frame.

If this is the style you expect to use going forward, i.e. overdubbed music and fixed camera focus, do you even need to be concerned about a little focusing chatter?

With the increased use of DSLRs for video, I'm willing to bet the independent lens manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron are looking into stepper motors and/or other less noisy technologies. Whether or not they ever put them in their lenses is anybody's guess. In the meantime, for your style of shooting, why not try out (i.e. rent or borrow) some of the non-STM lenses that interest you? That way you can see first hand if you think the focusing noise will cause you problems.

Mike

I used the sound track on youtube as it was loyalty free and i matched it to the length, i did set it on video sound more than the track i picked. next one i will select the track and download it manually overdub it. i wasnt happy with the sound myself, i tried to pick a fast passed trck as the video was fast enough with the bikes. i considered some slow motion on the jumps but i think it would take from it.And yes the focus was right, i was trying manual and auto focus to try and see what works best. Also thanks for the comment and opinions, helps me improve and pick up on mistakes

sponsored links

3,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
STM Lenses.............
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.