Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 03 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Lady Photographer Thread

blinkeredfilly
304 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 22, 2015 09:05 |  #5281

Sounds like fun Maureen! we went out on a Puffin watch Thursday afternoon.....the fog was pea soup and we saw ONE Puffin! LOL He did a flyby and the whole boat exploded with applause......I think he like the attention, so he did another flyby before disappearing into the fog. Needless to say because it was so wet, the camera didn't come with me. We just enjoyed the boat ride and the ONE Puffin! LOL The boat line gave us all a voucher for another Puffin watch for next year, so it was well worth it.
I'm keeping an eye on the sky today. We may go to Bangor to the marsh and see if we can get the Great Egrets before they fly out.

sponsored links
digsmum
263 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 6 years ago by digsmum.

Aug 23, 2015 16:30 |  #5282

Hi, haven't been around for ages - glad to see the thread is still alive. Will be spending some time reading to catch up so apologies for not commenting on anything yet!

I have been busy with a poorly horse for most of my free time for the last month. Somehow he managed to injure a leg and had five days in equine hospital followed by box rest and is just (this week) back on restricted turn out. For a young horse he has been surprisingly good - but as he was only allowed out if someone was holding onto him I have spent a lot of time standing in fields! I won't post any photos of the injury but have a few phone pics (sorry if quality is rubbish) of the story so far.

X ray unit for horses

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5630/20638433329_50ac550552_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xrKn​cp  (external link) 2015-08-23_10-15-58 (external link) by lugbyone (external link), on Flickr

The Xray (on the left just below the joint) shows a black smudge where the injury is deep to the bone

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/575/20825195495_57a6983797_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xJfz​5K  (external link) 2015-08-23_10-16-28 (external link) by lugbyone (external link), on Flickr

Ridiculous big dressing

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/698/20637152650_08f4f8e366_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xrCN​uJ  (external link) 2015-08-23_10-16-53 (external link) by lugbyone (external link), on Flickr

Prisoner in horsey hospital

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/575/20798927076_3a03a25320_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xFVW​oY  (external link) 2015-08-23_10-17-43 (external link) by lugbyone (external link), on Flickr

.... and this weekend at home, still bandaged but getting better slowly. Very slowly. And it will take even longer for my bank balance to get over the vet fees!

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/633/20638499449_0c186d842f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xrKG​Rp  (external link) 2015-08-23_10-18-53 (external link) by lugbyone (external link), on Flickr

Hoping life gets back to normal soon and I can post some more fun shots!

Emma

blinkeredfilly
304 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 23, 2015 18:35 |  #5283

Hey Emma! So sorry to hear this about the horse.
These injuries sure can be a challenge. Slow to heal.
At least there seems to be no infection in it.
I had a mare that had a puncture chip a bone in her fetlock joint and it got infected. We ended up doing surgery in my barn, and then it was complete stall rest, wraps and antibiotic shots for quite some time. I wish you the best as you deal with this! And best wishes for your buddy!!! <3

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 23, 2015 22:16 |  #5284

It's never good when your baby is hurting! :( There are worse things to have to do than stand out in a field. It makes you a farmer!

At the last vet visit we discovered that my fur baby is sensitive to vaccinations. She has grown a lump where she received her first round of shots. So now I have to monitor her, spread the rest of the shots out to two week intervals, and possibly have the lump removed if it does not resolve after three months. Fortunately, the vaccination manufacturer will pay for any treatment needed. But, in the meantime, it will take an additional 4 weeks to get all the shots taken care of. And then, after that, I can get her fixed. Hopefully she behaves herself and doesn't get pregnant!

Melody

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,863 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 23, 2015 23:14 |  #5285

Hope the horse continues to improve, Emma & nice to see you back.

Monterey was awesome; probably saw over 50 breachings but the sky was overcast & the same color gray as the water so it made the pictures difficult. I didn't photograph much but I will share a couple of close encounters. These are not cropped & on a full frame body!!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,829 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 24, 2015 15:01 |  #5286

Good to hear from you, Emma. Sorry to hear about your horse, I know what your going through.

Maureen, those are great!

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,801 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2015 16:41 |  #5287

Maureen Souza wrote in post #17680573 (external link)
Hope the horse continues to improve, Emma & nice to see you back.

Monterey was awesome; probably saw over 50 breachings but the sky was overcast & the same color gray as the water so it made the pictures difficult. I didn't photograph much but I will share a couple of close encounters. These are not cropped & on a full frame body!!!!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Maureen Souza in
./showthread.php?p=176​80573&i=i49194794
forum: The Lounge

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Maureen Souza in
./showthread.php?p=176​80573&i=i14064362
forum: The Lounge

Did ya get wet Mo?

Great shots !!

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,863 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2015 19:19 |  #5288

That 2nd shot whale did give a few of us a small shower, Joayne!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

IndigoSkies
41 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 25, 2015 22:19 |  #5289

Wondering what straps or slings etc. other ladies have tried for their cameras. I've heard many good things about Black Rapids, but haven't given them a go yet. I picked up an inexpensive cross body sling made by case logic that is decent. Sits nicely across me even though I'm well-padded ;) It does have a padded wider section that sits in the shoulder which is nice. Do you ladies think it makes a difference to use a strap specifically made for women? Show or tell me about your favourite straps or slings or even the ones you hated, lol!

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,302 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 25, 2015 23:01 |  #5290

I use a Black Rapid strap and love it. I don't like the weight of the camera hanging from my neck, having the strap pull at my hair, or having the camera swing forward if I have to bend over. The BR strap is off the neck, holds a good amount of weight, and is easy to adjust. I can have the speed light on the camera and it will just hang upside down by my side. If I have to bend over, I can just push the camera behind my back. You can have the camera hang down at your hip, or up under your arm. I've even tightened it right up and rode my bike with my camera sitting at my chest, easily took one handed shots from chest level while riding.

Melody

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,921 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 26, 2015 00:51 |  #5291

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #17683167 (external link)
having the camera swing forward if I have to bend over

That's a big one for me when I do macros of bugs, because I'm often shooting something on the ground or on low vegetation. A camera on a long strap is as unhandy as a shoulder bag for getting up and down.

My better camera is only a Canon G15, which is smaller than the DSLRs that most people here use most of the time. I don't use any kind of strap. I carry the G15 in a homemade bag, an informal purse, that hangs from a sort of belt. So the camera is on my hip when not in use.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

IndigoSkies
41 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 26, 2015 08:19 as a reply to  @ Jill-of-all-Trades's post |  #5292

Which BR do you have? I hate neck straps myself!

IndigoSkies
41 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 26, 2015 08:21 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #5293

Please show off your home-made bag! I love seeing what people create :)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
21,921 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 26, 2015 10:52 |  #5294

IndigoSkies wrote in post #17683546 (external link)
Please show off your home-made bag! I love seeing what people create :)

The bag is functional rather than dressy. Here's an old photo of it. It's on a different strap now.

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,302 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 26, 2015 11:50 |  #5295

IndigoSkies wrote in post #17683542 (external link)
Which BR do you have? I hate neck straps myself!

Just the regular original one. I've had it for quite awhile now. I see on the website that they have quite a few options now.

I have used my extensively. When I've gone on vacation my camera has been hanging from it for days on end and I've never had a problem with it, and it doesn't show any wear.

Melody

sponsored links

977,741 views & 1,501 likes for this thread
The Lady Photographer Thread
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.